1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Stalling On Sand Patch - Solved By "borrowing" Two More Gp38

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by paul.pavlinovich, Aug 27, 2020.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Member

So, playing TSW2 - in the scenario fully fuelled (or some name like that) I kept stalling just after the big iron bridge. Locomotives were setup properly they just couldn't do the deed. I restarted the scenario and followed the instructions and set up the locos as per the manual. Once I got the track clearance I moved the train forward a few feet then stopped it. I uncoupled the lead locos and nipped over two tracks and coupled up to the train there. I uncoupled the now string of four gp38 locos and pulled forward a little, stopped again and set up the two "borrowed" locomotives. I returned to the container train and hooked up and departed once the air was up. Problem solved. Still had to work pretty hard to summit in mostly run 8 with sand on all the way but got there. It makes me think that four locomotives just were not up to the deed.

I'm sure no one missed the "borrowed" locomotives :).

Paul

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. paweuek

paweuek Member

Unfortunately you didn't configure the rear locomotives properly. Provided instruction is not complete. You missed banking COM activation. It's a yellow button with DISP lettering on the device next to horn lever. Turn it on in both leading locomotives of the two pairs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shackcat

shackcat New Member

I take it that this is for Sand patch Fully Fuelled ? Yes I also stalled on first playthrough of this scenario, there are alot of bugs.
    In the end the Loco's should be setup as listed below. I setup from the rear trail engine working forward as running 1mile back and forwards really is a pain.

So the correct setup should be (according to the wiki): https://train-sim-world.fandom.com/wiki/Driving_the_SD40-2,_GP38-2_and_GP40-2

Locomotive 1 (LEAD):
    MU-2A valve -> Lead or Dead
    Cutoff Valve -> Freight
    Engine Run , Generator Field ,Control & Fuel Pump: ON
    Radio -> On

Locomotive 2 (TRAIL):
    MU-2A valve -> TRAIL 6 OR 26
    Cutoff Valve -> Cutout
    Engine Run , Generator Field ,Control & Fuel Pump: OFF
    Radio -> Off

Locomotive 3 (Should be setup as a lead train):
    Cutoff Valve -> Freight
    Radio -> On

Locomotive 4 (TRAIL):
    Cutoff Valve -> Cutout
    Engine Run , Generator Field ,Control & Fuel Pump: OFF
    Radio -> Off

[It is quite obvious that this scenario was ported from TSW and very little QA was done on it before it was placed into the game].

• Like Like x 1
  4. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Member

Yeah I found the DISP button accidentally!!

Indeed yes. Interestingly when I put on the extra two locos I borrowed, out of curiosity I did hit the DISP button in the lead loco without knowing what it did so that is why I did end up with six locos powering. You can't finish the scenario if you turn up with six locos and did play it again with the proper four a couple of days ago and you can certainly finish it.

Paul

5. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Member

Note I'm not saying what you've said is wrong in the slightest, but I play with a more real world configuration that also works. Note your quoted wiki config actually won't work in TSW2 unless you press the DISP button in at least the lead locomotive and have the radio on in both the lead and trailing #1 (3rd loco).

My setup is slightly different and more reflective of actual driving behaviour and is as below - differences in green
    Locomotive 1 (LEAD):
    Cutoff Valve -> Freight
    Radio -> On, DISP button pressed

Locomotive 2 (TRAIL):
    Cutoff Valve -> Cutout
    Brake Handle -> Handle Off (locomotives without a driver in them would in reality have their brake handle and reverser handle removed and locked up in their cabinet)
    Engine Run , Generator Field ,Control OFF & Fuel Pump: ON (the scenario would work either way, but this is realistic)
    Radio -> Off

Locomotive 3 (Should be setup as a lead train): out of interest while it has to be this way to make the scenario work its just plain wrong from a reality perspective, it would only be this way with a driver in the seat and the brake pipes not connected between the banking locos
    Cutoff Valve -> Cutout
    Brake Handle -> Handle Off - yes I know the game will work either way, but if we looked at this from the perspective of real trains, with Westinghouse if you had two brakes cut in you would get all sorts of horrible pressure gradients in the train that would make you fail and likely snap couplers as both of the engine automatic brake valves would be trying to control the brake pipe - now if the brake pipes were not connected between the banking locos and the train you could realistically run this way but with only two locomotives you'd probably still only use your own independent brake as it would easily control two locomotives and is more responsive than the automatic brake

Radio -> On, DISP button pressed - I'm not sure if you need this - I intend to play the scenario again without doing this to see if you need to or not

Locomotive 4 (TRAIL):
    Brake Handle -> Handle Off
    Cutoff Valve -> Cutout

Engine Run , Generator Field ,Control OFF & Fuel Pump: ON
    Radio -> Off

Interestingly from a reality perspective all the locomotives except the one occupied one would also have their doors closed and locked but this doesn't matter in the game. If you didn't do it you'd end up with riders in them as they'd much prefer a nice comfortable cab to hang out than an uncomfortable freight car.