Steam Loco Wheel Slip

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sykosy, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Sykosy

Sykosy New Member

Once my steam loco hits around 50mph, I get intermittent wheel slip. Can anybody explain what causes this? I can go full throttle at 15ish mph with no wheel spin until I hit around 50mph.

2. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I think it's just being over sensitive, don't think the wheels are actually slipping?

• Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

If you keep the reverser at 75%, you'll get wheelslip at higher speeds. Also you shouldn't be applying full throttle until you've brought the reverser down. Reduce the reverser to 50% and you shouldn't have wheelslip until you reach 90mph. It's what has worked for me. You can bring it down to 25% but then it caused wheelslip at 90mph for me so the sweet spot was 50% reverser, full throttle. Also what weather conditions are you driving in? That might have an impact

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sykosy

Sykosy New Member

Ok, I’ll give that a go. Ta. Oh, and it wasn’t raining. It just seems odd that wheel spins are easier to cause at high speeds than low speeds.

5. Ello_bobbie

Ello_bobbie New Member

I pushed one of the locos to the max with the wheel spin it seems… I got upto 100, and it just let go and wheel span upto 300odd mph! It seems I very much broke it, as I couldn’t get it to stop!

Attached Files: