Stop Blaming Other People For Tsw Glithes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xpert2036, May 24, 2020.

1. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's true though? The blame is not on the console players, of course, but the idea of consoles and the way they are made nowdays. They're made as a cheaper alternative to PCs, but they're full of shortcomings and in my opinion often just limit game developers.

Back in the days consoles were cool, because PCs were rare and consoles were powerful for their time, and a new model always allowed better graphics and simulation. But nowdays, when the potential of PCs is basically "limitless" if you have the money, then what is the point of a console? Sure they're cheaper, but games and online cost more, and you could just buy a cheaper PC to begin with then.

But even if one doesn't agree with my point on consoles simply being useless, then look at the facts and see that most of the time the console version of a game will have to be toned down so consoles can handle it. And when these console limitations result in a worse game, and then the game gets deliered the same way to PC as well, then players will be upset.

Now I don't know whether it's true or not, but many times the reason for the shorter routes for TSW have been said to be that consoles couldn't handle longer routes. If it's true, then PC players are also getting shorter and less detailed routes for their money, just because some cheap console couldn't handle a proper one. In cases like this I think it's understandable that PC players are upset.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

No it’s not true. Consoles can run longer routes, routes as long as a PC can run and the only limit is hard drive storage space which applies to both consoles and PC. As has been said many times the thing that limits route length is development time. The detail is high on TSW. Nobody is getting shorter or less detailed routes because of consoles. It’s a myth. There are limits on how much AI traffic is included in TSW but that’s not entirely attributable to it being developed for console either but is a factor. PC players also have the opportunity to play TS as well, which has many of the features people are upset that TSW doesn’t have, including longer routes, so are much better served by DTG than console players.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinosbacsi

Yes, we don't know if console limitations really are the reason for shorter routes in TSW, you're right and I said it as well. But this is what the post you linked refers to, and I explained that.

But even if storage space is the only limitation, then consoles still usually have less storage space than PCs. And it's interesting that the longest route in TSW, the CSX Heavy Haul one, is not on consoles, while all the other ones are, if I'm correct. Even if it's just a coincidence and it has nothing to do with hardware limitations, it will still get people thinking.

Anyway I agree that blaming the other players is not the solution, but there are many other games on the market that can't live up to their full potential exactly because of console limitations, so that will always make PC gamers mad about consoles.

But anyway to end all this DTG should really just make a longer route again to make people happy. While I think the current route lengs are enough for most players, it would be nice to see one. And even though I love many of the current routes, it just looks so bad to have them all cut in half.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I have got TSW on console (PS4) and on a really quite powerful PC. And in some situations the PS4 Pro outperforms the PC, by quite a significant margin. In most situations it is the same, but the PS4 Pro (with HDD) is more comfortable with dealing with maximum throughput than the PC (with SSD plus 8Gb GPU....). Many games that are graphically intensive work very well on both platforms and have similar performance - Dirt Rally is a good example. PS4 Pro and the latest XBox are particularly well-suited as platforms for games made in UE, like TSW.

Designing for PC as a "limitless" platform is a massive mistake, as not every single PC owner will have a $10,000 top-end PC. And anyway - even if the platform is regarded as "limitless", it doesn't matter when products like TS1 and TSW are programmed to only use single threads, when a lot of CPUs are now octo-core. So powerful PCs can't deploy their processing power if the software has not been written to exploit that power.....

Designing games for a fixed platform like PS4/PS5 and XBox 1X, etc., is also an approach that is incredibly robust (or should be). You can "triangle" the development more easily than for the moving feast of the PC, so that you get the best balance of quality content and performance, in a given development time. You know where the limits are, so you can optimise the content properly. You get a better all-round product as a result, faster.

But the most important factor that I would urge anyone to consider, when entering the PC vs console user debate is that TSW sales on console far outsrip that for PC. The console players are effectively paying for the TSW product to continue to exist on PC... and they are also paying for the TS1 product to continue to exist only on PC.....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, except in the case of TSW that just doesn't happen. The console versions seem to be even buggier than the PC version. For example the tunnel on LIRR near Penn Station that used to disappear as you drive through it. As far as I know, that was a console thing only. Or on today's stream I saw someone complaining about a scenario on the East Coastway route in which you just can't release the brakes on XBox, apparently. And I saw many console players complaining about console only problems with other DLCs as well.

As you said, it SHOULD BE an advantage of consoles, yet it just doesn't seem to happen, as it simply makes developers lazy. The days when developers tried to actually get to know the hardware and really push the limits is gone. Some developers still do, but most will simply use lower resolution textures and models and call it a day, and even then will end up with a game capped at 30fps with occasional framedrops. So bad performance on a console that you, as an user, can't even upgrade to improve performance.

As for the single core programming part - well, developers should really get into making their games use more/all available cores where it's advantegous. It again is just lack of effort from the developer's side, rather than an actual advantage of any gaming platform.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Funnily enough... the feedback from developers using SDK for PS5 is starting to leak out.... and they are very very positive about it. Not just about the time to triangle (about 1 to 2 months), but about the perfomance.

The CEO of Epic has also indicated that Unreal Engine is now being tweaked to favour the way PS5 streams vast amounts of data at extremely high bandwidths straight from SSD to the GPU..... and is now calling for developers wanting to deploy UE-based titles on PC to start implementing the processes in the PS5 architecture (the "best architecture they have ever seen") to catch up, for any multi-platform titles....

So... it's programming for the PC architecture that is now being left behind by the PS5 because the CPU is no longer the bottleneck. This impacts on any title that relies on vast amounts of streaming of data that can be pushed straight to GPU, and almost completely eliminates CPU threading issues... and I suspect that this would be ideally suited to something like TSW.

So - the question now is... will DTG develop for the PS5 as the main platform for TSW in the future - because that is where the vast majority of sales are, and that is the platform that will likely give the best performance - by a very large margin..... ;-)

Otherwise, there is a serious risk that performance on PS5 will be held back by the relatively poor bandwidths available for streaming on PCs...., which is a bit of a "turn-up for the books".

• Like Like x 1