Stylised Vs Realistic Passenger Models

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fabdiva, Aug 22, 2020.

?
  1. Realistic Passenger Models

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Stylised/Cartoonish Passenger Models

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

So a common complaint is about the awkward passenger models. So I was thinking, should DTG be attempting to create realistic passengers or would a more cartoonish style work?

I think the current models look too awkward. There is a term called uncanny valley where the realism level drops off, and without huge level of detail and motion capping, which would cause issues with FPS with the numbers of passengers. I'm of the opinion that attempting to increase the realism of the models may end up making things worse as the uncanny valley creepiness increases.

But what if you went the other way and went for a more cartoon style? Anime and Manga do this quite well with realistic buildings and vehicles but then highly stylised people. Obviously more in 3D then these examples.

Should add that that this applies to passenger models, and not to the rail vehicles and buildings.

nekotrain.PNG tumblr_ph3ch3FKjp1tm9dvyo1_1280[1].jpg
    336-3368102_train-crossing-from-google-images-5-centimeter-per[1].jpg

I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts

2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Neither. It's a train sim, the passangers are fine. Maybe some more variety. And their AI definitely needs work, but that has been said to be in the works. But there are so many things much more urgent than the passanger models.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I quite like anime as an art style, I think it'd look out of place in TSW.

I don't really mind the current passenger models to be honest. If there'd be things I change, it'd be adding more variety in passenger size/haircuts/clothing, making their behaviour less odd, and make them wear clothing appropiate for the selected season.

Giving them an umbrella or making them take cover under a roof during a heavy rain would be higher on my priority list than adding mode details to the models themselves.

• Like Like x 2