Suburban Glasgow, Phase 6.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iain Mackay, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Iain Mackay

Iain Mackay New Member

Hello,

If anyone's interested, I've released Phase 6.0 of Suburban Glasgow now. This is now basically a huge merged route, containing various other routes in the surrounding area joined together. It consists of:

- everything that was in Phase 5.2 plus a few fixes
    - The DPS Extended version of Edinburgh to Glasgow
    - West Highland Line South (updated for modern day)
    - West Highland Line Extension
    - The UKTS Oban Line
    - Glasgow Airport Rail Link (without the actual airport link)

...and all the links between them blended together.

Thanks to Thomson Interactive, Milepost Simulation, Darren Porter and Michael Hamilton for various permissions... Note, the textures in Suburban Glasgow use the original Kuju textures, so I've needed to retexture some of the included routes - this may make some of them look slightly different.

The prerequisites for the route have changed accordingly, with GARL, WHLSouth and WHLExtension now being required.

Some of the scenarios have been significantly extended, with the longest being just under eight hours.

More information at:

https://glasgow-north-clyde-lines.blogspot.com/2019/08/hello-and-welcome-to-suburban-glasgow.html
    http://www.suburban-glasgow.org.uk
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907769903

Cheers
    Iain

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Hello Iain, just to say what an excellent network Suburban Glasgow is and I'd recommend it to anyone. A truly great piece of work, well done.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And to think under a year ago people's machines were tanking with anything much over a couple of hours... Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  4. coldo121

coldo121 Member

Hello,

Please can you provide links to the Oban Line I can't seem to find it through google.

Also, If I already have 5.2 installed do I need to delete it before downloading 6.0?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you follow the link above to the workshop page there is a list of requirements

6. coldo121

coldo121 Member

Thanks, I managed to find it eventually.

Do you know if I have to unsubscribe from 5.2 on steam before subscribing to 6.0?

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Oh hmm. This should go in that free routes thread that someone made. This sounds like a huge project.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I would otherwise you might end up with two versions

9. cameronew03

cameronew03 New Member

Hi all - I have seen Suburban Glasgow's workshop page is down and so is the website. Is there any eta for it coming back up again? I'm assuming its being updated perhaps?

10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  11. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

So is this train for Yoker aye?

12. Cyclone

Hmm. Pity that it's turning into a paid product. But in a sense it's a good thing too, as hopefully the package will include any additional free assets required to make it easier for customers, thereby making the DLC itself a valid requirement where the assets were previously used.

13. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I think it's Rivet who it turning it into payware, right? I would think that if they only sell it direct themselves there's a 50-50 shot of the requirements being reduced and some rolling stock being included. If DTG end up also publishing it with them, it's almost a guarantee.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

DTG already make the Class 321 so a 3 car 320 in Scotrail is an easy train to use
    Not sure what else it might have

15. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I have to say this is a rather shady move to pull a freeware, remove a decent chunk of the route and then charge for this.

I can understand the author wants to make some money from their work, but upgrade the original and then sell it, leaving the older inferior version available for free. At the moment a route with less content is being sold than the original freeware...

16. mattdsoares

It's not shady at all. The author has every right to do with his work as he pleases, be it offer it as freeware, charge for it, or sell the rights or license to a third party. It was freeware, and a third party dev apparently wanted to partner with him to take part of it, likely spruce it up, and offer it for sale. Nothing at all wrong with that on any level IMO. None of us are entitled to free mods. It is by the choice and goodwill of mod makers that we have some, but we are not owed anything.

I'd also point out that making all or part of the route payware also likely means that all or most requirements will be included. Diehard TS fans often easily forgot just how hard it is for folks who haven't dropped $1,000s into their DLC library to take advantage of the free routes and mods available. The requirement list for a "free" route can include DLC that would cost the user hundreds of dollar/pound or more. Theoretically if those requirements are reduced or eliminated by Rivet it makes the route far more accessible for the community at large.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mattdsoares

So according to an official announcement in the Rivet forums, the route will include a Class 158 and Class 320.

18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Has there been any mention as to whether this route (new payware version) will be retailing on steam or the DTG store? It says releasing on 30th October (this Friday) on rivet games' website, yet there's no preview article on Dovetail live. So does that mean it might be exclusive to rivet games' own store?

19. mattdsoares

I would think so. I pre-ordered through their site (20% discount), and it says that when it launches on the 30th I'll be sent an activation key, which would mean Steam, which would mean it's also going through DTG. Plus I'm pretty sure 100% of everything else Rivet has ever done has also been published on Steam through DTG.

20. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Hopefully that is the case and it seems logical now you've mentioned the steam activation key (I haven't purchased anything from Rivet Games' store before so that's why I'm curious as to how they might retail it).

21. Cyclone

Who was asking about Suburban Glasgow?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...elensburgh_Route_AddOn/?curator_clanid=958135

Looking at the map, I am a bit upset that the northern route from Springburn and the southern route from Helensburgh were not included a la Sherman Hill's setup. As a short route it makes me question the cost. But it would merge nicely with Edinburgh-Glasgow and with the path from Carlisle.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  22. mattdsoares

It still has a lot to do with numerous other branches and 43 stations, so it might be "short" from a miles perspective, but IMO not from a gameplay one. Also, it's 20% off already on the Steam sale.

23. Cyclone

Yes, introductory sale. Main question is whether the Steam version is different, like the Just Trains ones often tend to be.

24. mattdsoares

No. There is no other version for sale. I bought it through the Rivet website earlier this week as a pre-order and it just gives you a Steam key.

25. mattdsoares

So I just played through a 50 minute scenario and all I can say is WOW. This is instantly one of my top 5 favorite routes. The level of detail, in my opinion, sets the high water mark for urban TS20xx routes. For some people sound is the thing that makes or breaks a route or train for them. For me, it's all about the trackside atmosphere. Does it FEEL like I'm driving a train down some tracks in the middle of a city, or countryside, or whatever. This route NAILS it due, imo, in large part to the most detailed, best implemented, and most copious amount of vegetation I've seen on a TS20xx route. The route generally avoids representing grass or weeds as just a flat green ground texture like many older (and sadly some post 64 bit) routes do. The trackside is overgrown with all sorts of brush, weeds, wildflowers, and grass. As you drive between city center buildings and suburban homes you feel the environment encroaching around you. It FEELS like what it is trying to be, and for me, that makes it a smashing success.

Now, I understand there is some hand wringing because this used to be part of a freeware route and the creator sold the right to Rivet to turn it into payware. Honestly, I think it's pretty selfish of community members to be upset about this. Someone, like you, spent untold hours creating a labor of love that many in the community got to enjoy for free. His work was high enough quality that he was able to actually get it turned into a real part of the game which is awesome! While it's understandable to never want to have to pay for things, I think we ought to be happy for the original creator. I also never played the original freeware route, so I cannot comment on how its been changed by Rivet...but it is the best looking TS20xx route available in my opinion, so I wouldn't be shocked if they went over it and spruced it up.

I think that if you have any interest in A. Scotland, B. Urban routes, and/or C. high quality environments and atmosphere, this is a must buy. Even if you already have the freeware, it might be nice to pick up in order to take advantage of any upgrades that Rivet made as well as to give back to the guy that created the route that you've enjoyed as freeware in the first place.

A+

Some shots from my first play. These are with RWEnhancer Pro and ReShade, but without AP track and AP weather on.

It's a jungle out there!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  26. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Awesome shots mate, picked this up last night, can't wait to give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Cyclone

I might have to reconsider my angst of buying a pack at very high prices. It sounds like you are saying this is one of the best routes out there.

28. mattdsoares

For me personally, it is. It might not be for you. Some folks don't like the stock that comes with it. I am cool with it because I've never been on either train so the only way I know it's "unrealistic" is other people telling me, so it doesn't ruin my immersion. Don't make a decision based solely on my opinion. Watch some youtube videos if you're undecided. But if you don't have the freeware version (which has now been pulled), and like Scottish routes...it would seem like a no brainer to me. But that's just me.

29. Cyclone

I am trying to get a variety of routes. It seems a bit short, but again, if there are lots of branches to check out for activities, it might still be fun.

30. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

I have brought this and love it, the frame rate is always high and very stable too. Really liked what I have seen I can hardly believe this was a freeware route. I have no problem with it now becoming payware as fair play to the guy he built a great route and should see some fruit to his labour as its great. I would love to see him make more.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Cyclone

If I were to guess, I presume Rivet bought the rights to the route and the creator is now paid, nothing else coming. But I would not know the arrangement and will not act like I do. I would say I hope he is consulting with them further on the surrounding area and more possible DLC, but it seems everything else there is already snapped up somewhere.