Route Suggestion: Hohenzollernbahn (tübingen - Sigmaringen) In The Late 2010s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AmityBlight, May 14, 2024.

1. AmityBlight

AmityBlight Active Member

It just occurred to me that this route would make a fine diesel addition for TSW. Yes I know, its in Baden-Württemberg, but just let me dream a bit :)

The route
    English wiki
    German wiki
    Be aware that the following map also includes the southern part from Sigmaringen to Aulendorf:
    [​IMG]
    This single-track, non-electrified route has been built during the early 1870's. With about 87km of length it's almost as long as the Rosenheim - Salzburg route, but of a wholly different character.
    Starting at Tübingen station in the north, it follows a densely-populated valley, connecting towns like Mössingen, Hechingen and Balingen with the larger world. This area (including the nearby region around Reutlingen) is known as an important industrial hub, with lots of commuters and freight traffic.
    From Balingen onwards, it switches form a southwesterly direction towards the southeast, crossing the mountain range known as Schwäbische Alb, winding its way through forested valleys and later following the small river Schmeie, crossing it several times. After passing its single tunnel, the route joins up with the Donautalbahn from Tuttlingen, with which it shares the track for the last remaining 7km towards Sigmaringen, while running alongside the river Donau.

The rolling stock
    Since 2014, the main workhorse on this route has been (and is to this day) the BR 612:
    [​IMG]
    With its tilting system, it is a perfect match for this curvy route. And it's already ingame, so not much extra work to do here for programmers:D

The 612 services were interspersed with BR 218 pulling n-Wagen or later Dostos as well:
    [​IMG]
    Since the 218 is coming anyway and will be begging for more work, this route would offer an opportunity!

Regional commuter trains, especially in the northern part between Balingen and Tübingen are also domain of the BR 628.2 and its successor, the 628.4.
    [​IMG]
    The 628.2 in red are ingame already as well, but haven't had an opportunity to shine properly yet. They could make a fine addition here.

Until 2001, freight services were handled by the DB, using locos of BR 363, 294 and 215 (a close relative to the 218). Since then, the Hohenzollerische Landesbahn (HzL) has taken over. They are using a wide assortment of locos for these tasks, including the V100 PA:
    [​IMG]
    As much as I'd love to get my hands on this one in TSW, a simpler way would probably be to "pretend" the DB handled these services and use the readily available 218 and 363 for them. Even if someone would be willing to create this loco, I also don't know the HzL's stance on licensing. That could be an additional hurdle.

Value of the route for TSW
    If done right, this route could be what Maintalbahn should have been. A wide variety of passenger services, and a good and interesting assortment of cargo hauls (at least in the northern half). The terrain and surroundings are interesting and diverse, leading from cities and industrial areas in the north towards mountainous terrain with narrow valleys, villages and cute winded streams in the middle until breaking through to the wider valley of the Donau. The 218 and 628 would get a nice playground, and the 612 could really show off its tilting system for once.

Only thing that needs some improvisation would be the cargo services, but I'm sure something could be worked out. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  2. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Oh yes please! :D

Diesel, German 2012"s, 2 yess"!
    Scenic diesel route in 2010s would be something new in TSW!

• Like Like x 1