Summer Release - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, May 11, 2022.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This would be perfect :)

2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Most video game companies . It’s a good way of making money

3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

With the effort of this first steam route, i hope they consider more than just 1 loco. The time / effort ratio says we need more wagons & more locos.

One oportunity is the restaurant or buffet mk1. For freight a tank or milk wagon could be made. Tons of stuff coming into my mind.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think people forget that DTG sales leading up to Xmas are these routes. These are what bring new people in and new blood is always good

Personally I do hope they bring something of interest soon because there has been literally nothing of interest to me personally for the last six months and I've stopped watching their streams. Something tangible which fits what I like would be great

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Whens the Warley show? DTG have attended that previously? Id be thinking SOS will be their big showpiece. So having the game in a good overall state would presumably be priority. I think we will get the annual 3 route release. As theres nothing of note on the DTG rmap. My guess would be 3-4 months from when the route team finished on SOS. So maybe early August?

6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Here's a few reasons:
    1) Renaming and relaunching your game because you bugfixed should sound alarm bells deafeningly loud
    2) That name implies you're doing track maintenance in the game; people are going to be at best disappointed, at worst reporting DTG for false advertisement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

The all-new summer realease will be called TSW2: Schwarzfahrer

It will include routes famous for people travelling without a ticket, including Zürich-Freiburg im Breisgau, the train between Ghent and Brussels Airport and, of course, the S1 train Lodi - Saronno, duly cut down to Lodi - Milano Rogoredo to keep the usual shorter route lenght TSW is famous for.
    I will let Driverwoods tell you all about these routes and rolling stock, but in the meantime I will highlight the main gameplay innovations it will bring.
    In addition to the usual boatload of bugs and the "train driver" role, this DLC will introduce the ability to chose between two new roles: ticket controller and fare dodger.

The ticket controller will check the ticket of all passenger, locate those without one and in order to yeet them of the train. The further the distance of the throw, the more Action Points you will receive! And of course, bragging rights at the station pub.

The fare dodger will have various possibilities to evade the authorities, from hiding in the bathroom (a classic on the S1), audibly protesting when caught, running from the police, up to attacking the ticket controller with an axe.

No two journeys are ever the same with TSW2: Schwarzfahrer. Available this summer, most likely in December.
    /s

• Like Like x 7
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

How about TSW2 - New Frontiers

3 New Countries with 3 amazing routes.

1) China - Tackle a section of the Jining–Tongliao railway in a QJ 2-10-2 steam locomotive on one of the last main line steam routes in the World
    2) Peru - Choose between taking the local, tourist or luxury train up to Machu Picchu from Cusco & Poroy
    3) Experience one of the fastest high speed train in Europe as you take an Tren Italia AGV Frecciaross 1000 at speeds of upto 300km/h between Florence & Bologna

Ok it will never happen (and definately not this year) but who wouldnt buy such a pack??

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Me, :p...

...but that's because I'm stubborn and only buy routes from a handful of countries.

10. Clumsy Pacer

Also me, because that doesn't really interest me.

11. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I doubt there will be a big summer title this year. We already saw they split the last year's one into 3. Maybe, they will do a similiar thing and sell it as a season pass instead.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clumsy Pacer

I have a feeling we'd know by now if they're even doing one (with new content), even if we didn't have any details.

13. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’d rather buy a route from Sodor

7E8A25B8-4EF3-4C47-95C5-DBC1CC6BA720.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  14. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I am interested, steam that project should go up in smoke, high speed is not enjoyable as a driver, maybe as a passenger in real life, and the 300km, it is even faster with the 2 Germain white train, and they are boring to drive

• Like Like x 1
  15. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Hear me out... Joe BKL timetable

17. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Yh potentially. I don't think since GWE, there hasn't been many DTG routes without an accomodating locomotive DLC (TGV might be the exception)

18. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned here in terms of expectations for releases this summer - we are still amid a pandemic, as quiet as it is in the news cycle these days. I can't speak for Dovetail specifically, but I know a lot of people in the games industry who are still working from home, or have only very recently returned to in-office working. This has caused delays across the entire industry - from Gran Turismo to Cuphead, games and DLCs have been delayed by two, even three years, and it's reasonable to imagine some effect on TSW's schedules, and that this is a contributing factor to the relative paucity of 2022 DLC.

Obviously this is to some extent speculation on my part, and it is strange they wouldn't have mentioned it more prominently if they did feel it had a serious effect on schedules, but I'm willing to bet there's some relationship there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

I would love for the summer release to have brand new countries, though knowing DTG this never gonna happen.

20. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Possibly Hamburg - lubeck ( you could count the 101 layer from hrr )

21. ARuscoe

The only difference working in an office makes to games dev is it's easier to have ad hoc meetings, but there can also be a productivity loss due to "water cooler moments"
    My sister works in games production for a company in the midlands and they have seen vast productivity increases in some people and drops in others, and they can put it down almost entirely to who is the office gossip (drop) and who were productive before anyway (increase)

I know people in admin and financial fields who also find it a lot easier to work from home simply because they don't have people with "Can I just ask..." type questions which seem to take up far longer

Lastly, the pandemic in the UK is nowhere near as impactful now as it was a year ago. Look at the vid from DTG regarding sound recording for SoS. A lot less masks...

• Like Like x 3
  22. orb

orb Well-Known Member

This means DTG really needs to think about South African, South American, Australian, NZ routes for TSW and releasing them at that time, since there's winter on the southern hemisphere. ;)

There could probably be more than 1 steam locos released next year, but not necessarily for Liverpool - Crewe. WSR desperately needs a couple along with a new timetable.

23. chieflongshin

Now permanently based from home in my role with no 2-3 commutes a day I can confirm my ratio of pound of flesh vs salary has increased :D

• Like Like x 2
  24. ARuscoe

I work 3 days a week somewhere on the other side of London from where I live. It takes me 4-5 hours travel round trip. So unless I work more than 5 hours in any given day I essentially lose money in time, fuel, road tolls etc

Somehow the boss doesn't understand this concept, nor that everything I need is on the computer (and therefore on the cloud) so I could sit at home on my faster internet connection with my faster computer and also not get involved with the nonsense chatter in their office and do the work quicker, costing him less overall...

Maybe he's getting too old for this job ;)

• Like Like x 5
  25. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

+1 for this route :D

26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Even better being retired!

• Like Like x 2
  27. archline

archline Active Member

From the SoS PV, it's been a long time since DTG has put this much effort into making a DLC. The last time we saw a live action PV was during TSW: CSX Heavy Haul. Personally, I'm still looking forward to DTG making more quality DLC, but the epidemic issue seems hard to see coming.
    So my expectations for the summer update are for DTG to release the patches for bugs and performance optimizations as soon as possible, in addition, the UI need to update, I'm a bit fed up with the current UI, it's very bad for PC operation. The UI seems to only consider the controls for the console and is nothing like the initial TSW2 for the PC.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I mean, it doesn't just go back to normal immediately does it? There will be a backlog of work that couldn't be done during lockdowns and so on. And you did have a stricter lockdown than most in the UK.

It *has* had an effect on the games industry, this is a fact not a debate, the only question is how much it affected Dovetail. Reasonable to assume more than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Quite a few actually; LGV, Clinchfield, Cathcart, Hamburg, LGV, both Dresdens, London-Brighton, Boston... pretty much every TSW2-native route has not had a loco DLC add-on from DTG with the exception of the 465 for SEHS. DTG's last loco was the 313, the much-delayed DLC for ECW (the last TSW 2020 route but for HRR)

30. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The only thing I want to see released is the GWE updates we have been waiting for. I would of given the preservation updates priority over sos and that would give the summer to make sure they got it right for those that are excited about it. I don't want to jinx it but is anyone else worried about the steam release being referred to as SOS? Hope it isn't an omen, lol

For me getting more people back to going to work should be the thing to aim. People forget on the trade that is lost by people NOT going to work, food, drink, newsagents etc. If people can genuinely work better at home then maybe this should be an option.

• Like Like x 1
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Maybe a German Plandampf locomotive being DR18 201 52.80 65.10 for Riesa-Dresden and Dresden Chemnitz Werdau Line.
    Summer Update Red Light Bug from save resume

32. ARuscoe

Not sure what you mean. There has been NO lockdown with regards to work for months in the UK, they changed it from you SHOULD work from home to it being advisable (but up to the company) over a year ago, and much of DTGs work does NOT rely on personal interface (ie people being in the room together) so really the only things that have stopped "games making wise" have been those times when two or more people clustered around one screen to collaborate. Just about everything else is "as per"

And yes the initial lockdown in the UK was pretty harsh, but the England lockdowns since the second one haven't changed much at all for many workplaces where they had the facility for remote working, which DTG do

• Like Like x 1
  33. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The UK is currently pretty much back to normal, only place still in your face is hospitals where mask wearing is still required and the Orwellian signs everywhere. That in theory means no more excuse from DTG (or Rivet) that they can’t get out to do research in particular sound sampling.

• Like Like x 1
  34. ARuscoe

Actually sound sampling isn't what I would be thinking of... Because there needs to be other people outside of DTG with regards to sampling trips that involves a lot more organisation, but for field trips for scenery and asset creation that's one person and a high res camera...

And also, don't forget a lot of the issues TSW has with sound have almost zero to do with the samples, but how they're arranged and balanced in game. Some of the sounds provided by Armstrong Powerhouse (considered one of the best in the train game business) have been botched up (and we won't go into the whole xbox sound thing)

• Like Like x 1
  35. chieflongshin

I personally went through a consultation with my employer shutting a lot of offices having seen the increase in productivity. There are some areas that have remained office bound because of their role but i for one don't miss hundreds of miles commuting a month (more so with a jeep and fuel costs now). I'm still putting my money into the economy with the exception of meal deals

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

And so did the civil servants of DVLA only they weren't very productive resulting in thousands upon thousands of hgv licences not being processed and so is resulted in empty shelves, not a good advert for staying home imo. i do also find it hard to believe that someone with a family can be more productive than being in an office. In my view the many who want to stay at home will cost the economy not only in lost revenue, food, drink, transport, etc but with many firms going bust cause they have lost trade with the resulting workers going on the dole costing the tax payer more.

Before you jump on me I do accept than in certain jobs it is beneficial for workers to stay at home and helps with congestion and other areas. My problem is with some using it as an excuse like the mentioned DVLA.

• Like Like x 1
  37. chieflongshin

Agreed, I think there are areas it fails. My role is a HR role, my stakeholders national, my meetings next to none. My role is quite standalone so when I’m office I was totally isolated anyhow. No wife, family to distract either. Took me 6months to get my driving licence from a simple renewal and I do think some of the government roles are taking the Michael. I’d guess commercial companies less so with more stringent kpis. I used to work near Liverpool Street station and I envisage there isn’t as much hustle and bustle now, likewise the labour market so competitive , so many opportunities out there I do believe there’s some scope for people to move roles, careers etc. I’ve seen a marked shift in offers falling through, difference in applicant traffic numbers etc due to their being so much work out there now. For context before Xmas there was 700k roles advertised approximately, it’s floating around 1.2-1.3m now so the money is moving, maybe just different avenues

• Like Like x 2
  38. ARuscoe

That says more about the people and culture of that organisation than anything else (and I would suspect that a lot of people simply got laid off rather than working from home. We know government departments love to cost save)

• Like Like x 1