System Poll. Ps4 Or Ps5?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by docsnyder1911, Oct 2, 2021.

?
  1. PS4

56 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. PS5

67 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

At the background of BML without additional layers it would be interesting to know which system the majority of Playstation customers use. PS4 or PS5? And that could give DTG and the community a hint who is speaking for the majority of the playstation customers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I use both depending on what room I'm playing in so can't really answer this one but, I do accept that my 7 year old PS4 is nearing the end of its life and what it's capable of with games.

• Like Like x 5
  3. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Sure but TSW2 is not a game that can convince me the hardware of the PS4 Pro is the problem. With TSW2 it's down to optimisation of the game. The PS4 Pro is capable of much more than TSW2 delivers. This has lots of reasons but from what I've seen and heard so far from DTG I guess it's budget and resources that's the main culprit.

• Like Like x 5
  4. docsnyder1911

The thing is that there would be much more PS5 customers if the PS5 would be available for normal people with full-time jobs. For them it is impossible to watch on their phones the whole day, if there is a shopping window for some minutes to buy a PS5. And they will also not buy overpriced PS5's by scalpers. Even Sony knows the last problem and takes some steps in the improvement of distribution system of the PS5.

• Like Like x 2
  5. docsnyder1911

I give you absolutely right. It seems it is not the technology of the PS4. It is a economical question of development ressources for memory optimization.

6. antwerpcentral

True, normally I'm the first with new gadgets and hardware but the PS5 is so hard to get your hands on that I moved up purchasing one to 2022. TSW2 is the first game in months that made me consider buying one sooner but TSW2 doesn't look to me like a PS5 game worth buying a PS5 for. Minimum €400 for extra layers in a game where even the trains are not on par with what I expect from PS5 graphics.

• Like Like x 2
  7. docsnyder1911

Completely agree with you. The only game I would buy a next gen console for (if it would be available in a normal way) would be MS Flight Simulator for Xbox Series X.

• Like Like x 2
  8. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth those in the know who I’ve spoken to reckon there is a lot more performance from even the original PS4 hardware as in the full potential of all varieties of PS4 are not being fully realised. I’ve been told developers naturally put their time, money, and effort into developing for the later generation console when they hit the market and just don’t try as hard as they maybe could for the older version hence an inferior version of RH BML for PS4.

I’m not a geek when it comes to all this and I dunno how true it is but I’ve been told by more than one person who is into all this tech that this is the case and owners of older generation consoles just have to suck it up which is fair enough if they don’t charge the exact same price for both versions of dlc!

As for buying a PS5. It’s been out a while now even if it’s hard to get one so a new one is not far away like a pro version or even a different styled one I’ve heard about so it’s reasonable to assume quite a few of us aren’t going to jump just yet and will be playing on PS4 for a while yet.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Why do you actually care? You ask here yet deride us PlayStation owners elsewhere in the PlayStation forum about your high and mighty PC and why we should all buy PC's?
    Very odd behaviour....I suggest we all go down to Victorian London and enlist that there Mr Holmes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. docsnyder1911

Nice behavior from you too. And you should recognized that I'm not a PC owner.

11. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

But do you own or perhaps have a an intimate relationship with any PlayStation device is the question?

12. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I agree about what's been said in this thread. For me there's no hurry to get a PS5, because my PS4 Pro still works fine and the current delivery situation is like a game of chance worldwide. The framerate on PS4 Pro is quite smoothly and I can also play in 4K.

Another reason is still the lack of data transfer from PS4 to PS5. I don't want to remake all of my time-consuming liveries again.
    Waiting for a little longer can also be positive, because Sony is constantly improving the console's hardware. A PS5 Pro or Slim version could perhaps be released in 2023. But I wouldn't wait that long and would be happy to get one at least in 2022.

The only thing which isn't good on the older generation are the missing layers on HMA and the new RH LC. Because of only 8GB RAM.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SAMiV

SAMiV New Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

15. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It's usually taken me a few years to switch generations on PlayStation. I went from ps3 ps4 in 2017. But I recently bought a ps5 and I reckon TSW is quite "to blame" for that.
    I play other genres, but certainly the one that absorbs me the most hours is this one.
    And the truth is that I was very happy with the performance of my slim with tsw. In fact I couldn't believe how good it looked and the performance didn't sink my experience. What bothered me the most was the lack of layers in HMA. In short, I was happy with it.
    But as information from Rush Hour was uncovered I seemed to understand that DTG was finally going to look forward and not let the old hardware hold them back. HMA was going to be the forerunner of what was to come on many new routes, you can't stop progress. And knowing that DTG was going to make a newgen version I decided it was time for a change.
    Backwards compatibility also helped me to make up my mind. Why would I keep my ps4 if I could still enjoy my games on ps5? So I sold it for a very good price, thus lowering the outlay for the new console.

Well I couldn't be happier with the change. TSW feels so much better and is so much more enjoyable. But not just this game, any other ps4 game benefits from much shorter load times and in some others that have been updated, a higher frame rate.

So I would definitely recommend anyone who can afford it, don't hesitate and try and get one now, you won't regret it. I don't think it will be less than two years before new versions are released. Is it worth waiting and missing out on the experience now? When that time comes you can always sell the current one because it will still have value and exchange it for the new one.

16. docsnyder1911

May I ask you how much you paid for the PS5?

17. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Of course it is. 650 € for the disc version. It included two controllers and the ratchet & clank game.
    Honestly, I wasn't interested in that game but I couldn't find a cheaper version.
    And I sold the 1Tb ps4 slim with a controller for 185€.

• Like Like x 2
  18. docsnyder1911

Thank you very much for your answer. It seems you paid a fair price for the content you got. I made the same when I bought my PS4 7 years ago. It was a package with a game I never played. But it was the first opportunity to get the PS4 in that time in a fair and normal way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

PS4 at the moment but will be upgrading to PS5 in the future

• Like Like x 1
  20. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

PS4 and no intentions of buying a PS5 any time soon, I was going to get one at the start of the year but due to the shocking availability issues I spent the money on more content. I am more than happy using my PS4 on my 1080p 10 year old Sammy which still has a great panel and beats the newer 50” I bought a couple of years back, I may purchase a PS5 when I can also take advantage of the increased resolution but that probably won’t be happening for a while. Or until I am forced to when DTG eventually dump last gen. I have calmed down somewhat now after the disappointment of the lack of layers on the upcoming route. I would say if you want to drive the other content just use scenario planner but in its present form it’s just a bit lacking.

21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

PS5. It was a no brainer to upgrade. It plays all the PS4 games I own and TSW 2 runs, in the most part, exceptionally well. There are some noticeable FPS drops on some routes whilst running the PS5 version compared with running the PS4 version. I’m not sure why.

TSW is exceeding the limits of the PS4 due to the limited 8GB of RAM and the amount of RAM needed to load the current tile, trains and dispatch instructions across the whole route (which is doing its thing, and using resources, even though it’s not obvious on screen).

You simply have to ask yourself, knowing that PS4 is end of life, whether it’s worth paying to upgrade to the PS5. If you are a gamer, the answer must clearly be yes.

• Like Like x 2
  22. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

I am sure all of us on PS4 would gladly upgrade if we could afford to and also find the stock.

I myself no longer have the funds, with a family to look after and a tight budget it would mean buying a new TV as well to get the most out of a PS5 so I will just have to pray that DTG keep supporting the old and decrepit last gen for a while longer.

• Like Like x 4
  23. docsnyder1911

Completely agree with you. If you have the responsibility for a family it is a no go to spend 600 or more Euros - a not small part from your monthly payment - for a new console for having some more layers only. If you have a family you're not simply a gamer anymore. You have to make priorities. And on the first place stands that your family members are healthy and have a good life. And you want to give especially your children all opportunities to have their good lifes. Things like more powerful gaming hardware are very less important than.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Only buying Ps5 when sony launch the Pro version...
    Cheers...

• Like Like x 2
  25. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

The PS4 has a cpu that is approx 20% less powerful than the min spec required for pc running along with about the equivalent min spec gpu to run the game on pc.

This tells me that they are pushing the hardware pretty hard. Often sim heavy based games are more cpu intensive, due to the number of instructions having to be run in the background to run the sim, and the consoles of the 8th generation (ps4/xb1) have weak cpu's.

It wont be for lack of DTG trying either. It's much easier to have version parity across all systems than having to explain why half of their player base is getting less out of their latest product.

I have a PS5, and with the announcement of what is incoming with BML, I am very excited. If I was still on PS4, getting it cheaper wouldn't sway me, I don't feel I would purchase it, as just having the two route locos isn't enough for me. Routes in TSW come alive with traffic variety and density, my favourite routes are TVL and NTP with the download packs. Those routes without their packs are a bit lacking. I certainly understand the disappointment of the ps4 users and I wasn't as interested in BML before the announcement of the extra layers being added as I thought the two DMU's wouldn't be able to hold up enough interest for me alone.

26. antwerpcentral

The problem when we speak about PS4 is that there are 2 versions of the PS4. I'm on PS4 Pro. When I talk about PS4 I'm talking about the PS4 Pro. The PS5 has a lot of advantages over the PS4 Pro but I don't see a huge difference on non Sony studio games between PS4 pro and PS5 releases. Best example is the Formula 1 game that even in 2021 got a graphic boost on PS4. On PS5 it just looks like there is just no benefit of owning the PS5 version. Formula 1 and Train Sim World are totally different games so I just use it as an example.

I can't even find a topic on here that makes the distinction between PS4 and PS4 Pro. One thing is certain; the PS4 pro is more powerful than the base PS4. More surprisingly I never saw footage of the TSW2 game that looked way superior to what I get on the PS4 pro and most streams I see are from PC users.

27. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

There is a very big difference between games made for ps4 pro and ps5. TSW2 is a huge jump in performance and graphical fidelity over the ps4 pro. I have TSW2 on all 3 Playstations (4/4pro/5) and can easily point out the differences between the 3, in which the 4 and pro are very similar, with the 5 being a big jump forward. Do not use streams or youtube videos to compare, the difference is lost in the video capture and compression

• Like Like x 2
  28. antwerpcentral

So how come PC and PS5 footage doesn't differ from my PS4 pro experience? Actually the TSW2 forum is one of the only forums where I see PS5 users making those bold claims. I don't think its worth buying a PS5 just because TSW2 would look so much better. Those claims would put DTG at the pinnacle of PS5 development. On par with Sony exclusives. No dig at DTG because I respect them as a small developer but I don't see them as developer at the pinnacle of PS5 development.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

Maybe because the TSW forum has the users which have experienced both PS4/Pro and PS5 to know the difference to make those claims.

That is your opinion. If I was basing my opinion of youtube videos and streams, I may say the same thing. The claims do not put DTG at the pinnacle of PS5 development. I'm saying TSW2 on PS5 is a big jump over PS4 TSW2. The Sony 1st party developed games do look much better again by comparison. I would never expect TSW2 to look up there with the best games on the market due to it having to run a heavy simulation engine behind the scenes as well as being a smaller developer, however, between the PS4 and PS5 versions, there is a significant jump, implying that the PS5 has much more hardware behind it to the point that DTG can provide the extra layers on the PS5 version and not the PS4 or PS4 Pro versions.

30. antwerpcentral

And I'm saying that it is not possible that TSW2 is a huge jump on PS5 over PS4 Pro. PS5 will not get me better frame rates. Even DTG can't demonstrate TSW2 with a stable frame rate.

31. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I paid £460 for a Digital Edition, year of PS Plus and £50 PSN Store credit bundle – so £360 for the PS5. For the increase in smoothness of play over the PS4 Pro, I'd say it was well worth it.

4K is the main benefit of the Pro over the base PS4 I think. That makes a huge difference in your ability to read dials and see distant features and was one of the key improvements from TSW2020 to TSW2.

I'm certainly experiencing better frame rates and overall much smoother play and movement than I got from the PS4 Pro. I don't understand where you've picked up that information.

32. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

I play TSW2 on a standard PS4, which I just got earlier this year!! I strongly disagree with the idea that the PS4 is at the "end of its life." On the contrary I think the PS4 is still well in its prime. I think it would be a highly unwise decision if Dovetail ever decided to stop supporting PS4 and other last gen consoles just based on the premise that it's not totally on par with the PS5. I would like to see the next gen versions of TSW2 flourish, but with that being said, I do not want last gen to flounder as a result of it..

• Like Like x 5
  33. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

DTG have said categorically that they will continue to support Gen8 consoles and that all dlc after the Rush Hour will be released on all platforms. However, in light of recent events, the question of layering will no doubt come up again in the future, depending on the specific route

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  34. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

I have a PS4, and am in no rush to buy PS5. It's not worth the cost as I'd need a better tv to get any benefits. I'm happy with what i have :)

• Like Like x 3
  35. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Seems PS5 is winning in this thread

• Like Like x 2
  36. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I upgraded to ps5 from PS4 slim, to me the difference was astounding, the detail I could pick out In textures, and textures I thought were implemented in a lazy way before suddenly weren’t but were beautifully detailed textures at their full res, - I was glad to have been able to update. It’s much more immersive. Even on a 1080P tv the downscaled mostly smooth 4k let’s you see every detail still.

PS4 still has plenty to give in my opinion. I still keep my PS4 going, just not for TSW. However I don’t think content parity will be sustainable in the long term. But also I think some of the recent content has been exceptional in pushing the boundaries, has exhausted dtg by the looks of it, and although repeatable, I don’t think PS4 will be left out of parity for all upcoming routes, this summer has been a lot of developmental effort for dtg and you can only repeat that so often.

• Like Like x 3
  37. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you.
    I don't understand where a lot of statements that have been made on the forum in the last few days badmouthing the ps5 version come from.
    The difference in performance is very big, so the experience feels much smoother overall on ps5.
    I think DTG has made good versions for the next generation.
    60 fps, better textures, more passengers, much shorter loading times...
    Yes, some routes could be optimised a bit better but that's something they will polish over time. But to say that it feels the same as on ps4 or that the only difference is the layers is incorrect.

38. antwerpcentral

That's because we are not all talking about the same PS4 model. If you upgrade from a base model PS4 to PS5 the jump is significant. If you are upgrading from PS4 pro to PS5 the jump is less significant. PS4 base model does not have 4K so the graphics improve a lot going from HD to 4K.

39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Load times alone on PS5 make TSW 2 so much better. Almost instantaneously loaded, whereas on PS4 Pro, it could take over a minute to load. A real LOVE when moving from station to station looking for collectables.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The step up from ps4 pro to ps5 will mostly be about the full res textures, LOD and draw distance. Smaller gains but put together significant.

It was noticeable when I was using the PS4 version of the game on ps5 for the first time. I thought I was already seeing all the benefits. But when the ps5 version dropped with the full res textures it just went up a notch.

however these visual things is only talking about the gpu and maybe vram. Layers and variety of models and their separate physics will be about the cpu and ram and that is where the current disparity between the machines is being felt.

I don’t feel gen8 consoles are being left behind, but the TSW philosophy of parity between editions is being strained. It began with gwe on pc and gen8 in a way, and we have to appreciate that much work was done to make future models more memory efficient and avoid disparity like that from occurring again for so long.

It’s natural that the devs will want to push the boundaries of TSW. I personally think it’s taken it out of them all this time so I don’t think difference between the PS4 and ps5 will occur so regularly. Not just yet anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  41. antwerpcentral

Well I have to give it to DTG that loading times are not one of my complaints. But yes I can imagine it is a large improvement over PS4 and PS4 Pro

42. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Nearly 2 years nice necrobump…

• Like Like x 1
  43. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

With the state of the game market now buying a new console has been a disappointment for me. There's no new games anymore like the old days. Everything is going digital the game shop keeps closing and is now tucked behind a sports shop. Our local tesco has stopped selling anything to do with games. I remember back when you couldn't wait to buy a game sometimes there would be 2 or 3 games at once and it was like what do I buy first. And also we haven't seen the full potential of these consoles when are these killer games coming I don't believe they will.

44. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

LOL wow, you ain’t kidding.
    And the poll probably isn’t even relevant at this point, 2 years later how many of those ps4s have upgraded

• Like Like x 1
  45. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

LOL, I never noticed either. Not used to people using the forum search function...............

I voted PS5, in reality, I have both. PS4 is at the Caravan, so does not get used as much. :)