PlayStation Tgv Pantograph Changeover Towards Marseille

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I keep getting caught out with the pantograph change over approaching Marseille - particularly trying to get the train to 140kph. Twice I’ve been emergency braked by KVB (I assume). The second time I managed to get the train going again, but ended up late in Marseille. It seems you have quite a lot to pay attention too on this part of the route.

I’m finding if I slow down too soon, I’m late and if I slow down too late I get emergency braked. I can’t seem to find the sweet spot.

2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I only did it twice, once where KBV stopped me once I over-braked to 90 km/h but still ended up on time.

Since the area of the changeorver is like: descent - flat - ascent and you can't manage the brakes all the way through because you have to do the switchover, the best option would seem to brake to about 125/130 when you are still descending, release the brakes so that when you get to the bottom you are about 140 km/h and hopefully you won't lose much speed during the ascent out of the tunnel and start to accelerate as soon as possible to maintain 140 km/h I'll try it today

• Like Like x 1
  3. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

If you are approaching the power changeover, you need to look up for a /CAB sign. That indicates that TVM-430 ends and you need to slow down to 140kmh.

4. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

I slow to 130 as the speed drops come quickly after the first drop from 300 to 130. I've managed this using the set speed 140 to 130 to 60 to 40 30 and electric brake copes with this, rather than manual throttle and only 20 seconds late arriving. Its a bit like the German safety systems you can't just slam on the anchors 400m from the board as the emergency brake gets triggered if you approach too fast

5. Smograil

Smograil Member

It's very difficult. I'm not being emergency braked but I'm nearly always 30-90 seconds late at Marseille, so probably a bit prudent.

6. Gronk Honker

Gronk Honker Active Member

Agreed that the changeover when driving up to Marseilles is much trickier than when driving up to Aix. I’m targeting being at 140 by the 160 restriction at the changeover, and so the quicker I can flip the panto the less late into Marseilles I will be.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m going to start trying to lower the pantograph and setting it to DC earlier. Then I can concentrate on managing my speed with the air brakes (as the regenerative brake won’t work with the pantograph down). Then when I get to the REV board, I can raise the pantograph.

The power change over requires two separate sets of actions some distance apart, yet you are only given one location marker (usually when you are supposed to raise the pantograph). Ideally you should get a location marker when you have to lower the pantograph and another for when you have to raise it. Granted there is only a short distance involved, but it could help newer players get the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1