The Editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ZeenozPlays, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Yes, I know they said they weren’t creating an editor for TSW.

Hear me out. I know they want to make all platforms equal, by allow console players to have access the same in-game things as PC Players, but by not having an editor for TSW, they are locking the customers to routes only DTG and Rivet wants to do.

By doing this, you’re missing out on a lot of routes the players want to see. How many times has a NYC Subway, Japan High Speed, or Amtrak (a new one) Route been requested?

Now, this is coming from a console player, I think you should allow PC Players to have access to the editor (yes, I know you need the regular Unreal Engine Tools for that). By giving PC Players access to it, you’re giving them the freedom to create new routes (and possibly trains?).

I think DTG can have a marketplace where people can upload their routes for other users to play them. The question is, how can we make this work for console players.

Now, I don’t know if this is possible, but I’m thinking that the most popular route (in a 3 month span) would be uploaded to the console stores (published by DTG I guess) for the normal $29.99. The creator gets 85% of the revenue earned and DTG gets 15%. The other option is to have an in-game marketplace where players can download the routes from.

How does that sound? Is there anything that wouldn’t work?

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They can’t release the editor to the public and it’s got little to do with consoles. It’s never coming. They have made that very clear.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

There may be complications with using revenue earning material through the unreal engine. As far as I have seen, there is a percentage cut from sales for using the native unreal engine that goes to the makers of unreal. That would make for a very complicated situation for setting up a user's marketplace and might explain part of the rationale for DTG's developer partners programme.

4. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Dovetail would be hard pressed to have an editor. They're a smaller studio and will want to make their money with the content they and their developers create.

Another problem with user created content is that it incentivizes the players to improve the content of the game rather than the developers/publishers themselves. Why put in effort to developing/adding to the game when the players could just do it instead?

As much as I'd love the idea to have more independent development, I don't think DTG would ever do it. :(