The Elizabeth Line - Platinum Jubilee Edition

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Wivenswold, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Opening this year, in time to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Three variants of the route too;
    Silver - Elizabeth Line plus New Class 345
    Gold - Adds Romford - Upminster and Thames Valley branches & Classes New 165/710
    Platinum - Adds mainline routes to Oxford & Colchester, Paddington & Liverpool Street surface stations, IET and Class 720

Would be a huge development for TSC, a rare zeitgeist moment for the rail network and a nice tribute to our enduring Monarch. Seems silly not to celebrate a special year and do something noteworthy. If this came out before the line opens, it would make the newspapers!

PS I did suggest "Train Simulator Classic" as a rebrand in this forum a few years ago, so I have form!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

This is Underground, right? The Waterloo to Reading line is a better choice covering outdoor areas and providing better rolling stock and usability for better scenario options.

3. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Only the bit from Paddington to just before Stratford and just after Woolwich - so it's mostly above :), also would include the GWML from Paddington to Reading, and the GEML from Liverpool Street to Shenfield - so a bit more than you'd think.

(notes - i'm just adding info, nothing more than that :) )

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  4. Cyclone

Fair enough! Didn't catch that it included the GWML on part of it; I should have noticed that perhaps. So the ideas are in different directions.

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

the core section is etcs overlaid on cbtc and you have screen doors there.

6. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I live on that line and use it regularly. Well between reading and Paddington anyway. They could use the GWE layout they've already created but I think the issues would be surrounding the great white buffalo that is "route connection/extensions" which will never happen

7. Cyclone

Just saw a video on the Elizabeth Line plans for routing. Looks like a massive time save as tested by riders trying to go between the destinations in the current iteration. The fact that it's a unique service path does make it a somewhat viable option, but I'd suggest having connecting routes somewhat complete in places (GWML for instance could be fully redone to Paddington as part of it.

Though, on closer inspection, it merges the GEML and the GWML - so maybe there isn't much besides the airport connection, which would be new? Route dressing on the GWML end would need an update since it was omitted from route 00000001. It's also old, obviously.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  8. Wivenswold

I went on the Paddington to Abbey Wood section today, it's incredible how much time it saves. Farringdon to Abbey Wood on Crossrail 16 minutes. Abbey Wood to Farringdon on Thameslink 50 minutes.

As for the TSC routes mentioned above; the GEML end probably needs the least amount of work if connected to the Crossrail system as it mainly involves new platforms, a couple of new stations, new sidings in 3 places and a few new buildings along the way. The Great Western Line that DTG owns was one of the original routes in Railworks and needs a complete rebuild in terms of using better assets but also in that none of it is electrified. Someone is actually doing the hard work for DTG and building a new GWR with OHL and I'm pretty sure it's going to be Freeware (in case they want to snap up the rights).

I think it would be a big earner for DTG, I've seen WIP TSC models of the 1st gen Aventra family too, 345/710/720. Let's hope they get finished and released.

9. Cyclone

The BHBP route is already a freeware route and released. They could not now license it and ask people to pay for it. It would have to be a new and unique project. It also requires a payware OHLE pack from ATS (an element that I think is laughable as separate payware, but let’s not start that argument), so new assets would be required anyway. There are also a million other required routes and assets.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  10. Wivenswold

Freeware routes have been improved/updated and released as Payware. Glasgow Suburbs and Birmingham Cross City spring to mind, ATS are releasing an extended payware version of the Cross-Country route and also have the Ipswich-Norwich GEML extension in the pipeline which was also free. Then there was the superb WCML South route, DTG went and made their own version.

There may be millions of routes but they've got to be marketable. I think the Liz Line would be a good seller.

11. Cyclone

So ATS definitely has the Norwich extension? No wonder it disappeared without a trace. Also, the other one, that's the double route through Gloucester you're talking about? That one is still available.

Is Birmingham Cross City really based on the old Birmingham 2010 route that goes all the way to Derby? I noticed the path veers off and explores part of the railway that that route actually does not go to, and the terminus is not far from the final stretch to Derby. I plan to video Birmingham 2010 at some point, in fact.

And yes, Elizabeth Line would be good. Whoever gets to it first will probably make a mint with it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wivenswold

Yes, I think it's fairly common knowledge that ATS are bringing out a modernised and extended GEML for the Stadler Flirt pack they've got in production. I think it's a way off completion though, Chat Moss update and WCML Crewe to Manchester are next.

On the Cross Country one, yes, I think that older free one will remain available, the payware version has an extension but I can't remember where (would be nice if it linked up with JT's Midland main line). I'm pretty sure it's the same chap that's building the WCML missing link so he's busy with the aforementioned projects at the moment.

Wasn't the Cross City route a Workshop one for a while? It wasn't the 60's version.

I'd be surprised if someone isn't planning a Crossrail route for TSC or TSW. I'd prefer the former as it's still a better simulator IMO.

13. Cyclone

I scrubbed the dust off of RWInfo and compared the two routes. This pretty much says it all. First is Cross City from Steam:

upload_2022-6-7_13-24-51.png

Following here is the freeware Birmingham 2010:

upload_2022-6-7_13-25-6.png

Any questions? :D

It looks like Bromsgrove did indeed make the B2010 version. The Redditch curve is easily identifiable on both. Worth noting the XC Route continues to the lower left towards Gloucester and the SWML. Another neat quirk in the B2010 is that it takes BOTH routes at Kings Norton (the payware only follows Bournville to Five Ways into Birmingham New Street). The trailing tracks coming in at Birmingham are truncated closer to the station than the freeware.

At Birmingham, things really change between the routes. The payware takes you through Duddiston and Aston, then leaves the Witton branch behind and heads to Gravelly Hill, staying mostly on the same track to the route terminus at Lichfield Trent Valley High Level (before that, Lichfield City). The freeware takes a different path; nothing appears after Aston and the Lichfield branch is completely unexplored, instead taking the bonus path through St. Andrews Juinction (from Kings Norton, recall) and crossing the WCML at a point where DTG did show the track, near the Birmingham Wheels Adventure Park. It then continues north to the Saltley Viaduct, and crosses the Lea Hall to Aston track (fully modeled) to Water Orton, passing Park Lane Junction at the wye en route. Coleshill Parkway follows, and we now have two access points to Kingsbury Junction. If you pass along to the south, you eventually reach Nuneaton at the terminus, and you can then either head northwest from there or backtrack to Whitacre West Junction and head north; both paths take you to Tamworth. Lichfield Trent Valley is indeed explored, but not from here as this track eventually terminates to the west. Instead, we head north, through Wichnor Junction, and join the path to a fairly well known area to Just Trains fans; after going through Burton-on-Trent, Willington, and Peartree, we arrive at Derby, from where JT has routes to Sheffield, Nottingham, Lincoln, and Leicester. Doubling back to Wichnor Junction (which is also near the Central Rivers Railway Depot), we join the South Staffordshire Line and approach to a southern terminus at Lichfield Trent Valley, which is the northern terminus of the payware Cross City route and our chance to continue there.

upload_2022-6-7_13-42-20.png

upload_2022-6-7_13-44-19.png

I hope this exploration is helpful to some. :) Though we probably should get back to the Elizabeth Line idea now. It would be neat if it merges tracks in places, but given this is a completely different path, I'm sure it would be its own project. A 20 minute drive doesn't seem like enough for a single DLC, however. So we might need some extra paths added like the Birmingham 2010 example I show here.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wivenswold

Thank you for that Cyclone you've cured my curiosity. I'm an Eastern Region type so I am not an expert on the Midlands network. I really should fill that Midlands gap in my railway book collection.

15. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

i went on the Elizabeth Line yesterday monday 13th june 2022 is was fantastic brand new station platform doors new rolling stock and i did every part of the line but not reading it would be a Brilliant line to have in train simulator classics.

• Like Like x 1
  16. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

I think that they should just build the route off the North London Line and include the Greenford branch, Windsor, Marlow, Henley branches, the GWML looks so different from the original on with the removal of line 6 at Paddington for Elizabeth line, West Ealing bay Platform, airport junction rebuild, Maidenhead rebuild, Reading rebuilt.

17. ajpardy

ajpardy Member

I would love to see a Aventras in TSC, I might of heard on ATS stream that they working on Aventras??

18. SJA

SJA Active Member

I think they are, yes. ATS are quite big on the idea of filling in the East Anglia-London sections.

19. Wivenswold

The ATS Updated GEML will have a remodelled Stratford including the Crossrail Portals. No plans to go into those tunnels yet, but the option will be there for someone to do the central bit, maybe the Updated GWR will include Crossrail Portals too, then we'll just need someone to link 'em up.

Edit: I believe the same guy that modelled the 700 has shown renders of classes 345,710,717,720 and Mk5 coaches, so they're all on the way. I understand the 700 took about 4 years from concept to release, so there may be a wait.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1