The Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FD1003, Jul 31, 2021.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Finally MSFS has landed on xbox this tuesday, and being an aviation enthusiast just as much as I'm a train fan I couldn't wait to give it a try, many reviews said the same things for both MSFS and TSW, it's great but is not ""study-level"" and is just in-depth enough to be enjoyable for the enthusiast, but it's (obviously) not to the point of being a €100 add-on (or ZuSi).

But that's not the point of this post, I just wanted to say huge props to DTG, here in our little echo chamber we like to complain about how bad, and bug riddled TSW is, and to an extent, we are right to complain, stuff like the HHL's PZB and RT's patch were truly awful, but one thing I noticed is that is not better at puny start-up microsoft, MSFS has a lot of bugs and missing in-depth functionalities, trying to compare to TSW, there is no BR101 in MSFS, and there are tons of little bugs and glitches caused by the AI trying to build a world from satellite data, things like port cranes looking awful, some airports having missing chunks of taxi ways, etc... also some of the systems in the aircraft don't work properly some times...

The point I was trying to make is, that while we might consider MSFS a whole magnitude better than TSW in terms of the content included in-game, the two games are not that different in terms of bugs and quality, and MSFS is A LOT LESS stable on xbox, I'm not upset about crashing 3/4 the way on a 5h flight :) all the bugs we complain about here, definitely have a parallel over in MSFS, for example a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs, actually fixed nothing... remind you of something? BR182 on xbox?

Considering DTG is much much smaller than MS or Asobo, it should be appreciated they managed to bring a game which is pretty similar in terms of quality, bugs and so on. Next time I'll complain about an "unacceptable" bug I'll try to think about MSFS...

I saw a lot of people complaining about TSW being worse than MSFS, but IMO it's not true... they are about the same level.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think MSFS does some things better than TSW, and TSW does some things better than MSFS.

The 3 biggest factors really are;

1) Comparing trains to planes in their respective playstyle and scenery is completely ridiculous.

2) budget of the development studios is wildly incomparable.

3) the cost of the games, MSFS comes in at over twice the cost of TSW 2.

Considering that for everything MSFS does, TSW does either just as well or better, taking into consideration the budgeting difference, TSW comes off quite well.

Again, the 2 can’t realistically be compared other than the fact that they’re both simulators, and overall DTG makes some rather bizarre decisions that can’t really be overlooked.

3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I wasn't making a direct comparison between the two, it was mainly in terms of bugs, and overall enjoyability of the game.

Obviously, planes are much more complicated than trains, but MSFS simplifies some of the procedures and in-depth functionalities, like TSW.

And yet MSFS is not an incredibly in-depth, bug free magic product that does nothing wrong.

That's what you pay for to have the entire world and more than a dozen planes. The stock MSFS stuff is not that great, especially compared to realistic add-ons for other sims, you pay for quantity, not quality.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, I haven't followed MSFS dev closely, but Asobo seems like has made some bad decisions as well, the way the MSFS community looks Asobo seems (at a first glance) similar to how the TSW community looks at TSW. Mine wasn't a direct comparison.

4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t attacking your post, more agreeing with it.

• Like Like x 1