The New Ui Sucks

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Aug 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

The negativity comes from a dozen grumps (outside the Playstation group) - I wouldn't worry about them. There are plenty of fun people around that outnumber the grumps :).

The PS4 players have a right to grump until they can play again.

Paul

• Like Like x 4
  2. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

It was a bit of humor over how we PC users should have less to whine about (since we have it better than console users).

3. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I will admit that the menu not highlighting when selecting weather options is an inexcusable oversight. How that wasn't spotted is beyond me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

I don't mind the UI, I am still getting used to how it looks and feels.

I like the idea behind the new route selection menu. I would like to see the driver dropped from the screen, or an option to turn them off cos I don't feel they add anything. I like the filter menu option, but would like to see a way to set it to default. I can then turn off routes I have no interest in seeing but know I can click a button and bring up all routes to view them.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I don’t actually mind it. It needs to evolve, and it needs polish, but the basics are ok. My suggestions would be;

- Colours. This has been done to death. They’re all too similar and need to contrast against each other more. I don’t hate the orange.
    - There is no need for the character on the route selection screen. Half the time the body bleeds through the clothing (as it does in-game) and just looks shoddy so get rid of it.
    - The diorama was fine before. Now it isn’t. Who decided to put it inside? That really does need changing as judging your weather without being able to see it is impossible.
    - Weather slider issue already noted
    - You can’t navigate it all using keys. Some of it works, some of it doesn’t. That is very clunky and needs addressing.

• Like Like x 5
  6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I just genuinely hope on the stream tonight it’s not 60mins of ps4, be nice to have one or two updates and then put it to bed for the other 6 platforms

7. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Lets make a petition to give us the old layout back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Putting the train inside a horrible and gloomy ghost station I don't think is the brightest idea DTG has had in recent times.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Ghost station doesn't really fit the "Rush Hour" theme, but that's not the biggest issue I have with that diorama. Not being able to see the weather effects and sun/shadows is quite annoying.

• Like Like x 6
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It’s not great and was presumably done to give one of the interns a project (!) but I can live with it.

11. chieflongshin

Wouldn’t be so bad if you could pan camera round. Not being able to see weather and with that too, pointless

• Like Like x 3
  12. chieflongshin

On the pause screen is anyone finding the speed graph works at beginning of route (Green line) and then it just goes until you see the end of route summary?

• Like Like x 2
  13. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Whilst this doesn't change the look of the UI itself, it changes the 'sickly' orange colour to a much more acceptable blue colour. Credit to the author for making this mod. Download here

upload_2021-8-27_16-41-20.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Something I've not noticed before - that's a very porous hat, sir.
    upload_2021-9-7_20-41-50.png

Also his hair changes depending on the route selected. Whut?

• Like Like x 8
  15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I guess he couldn't get a new hat lol

16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Although I still prefer the UI from 4.23, with the addition of the blue mod...I am getting used to it. Ideally I would love to see a mod which removes the avatars from the route select screen but I'm guessing this is a harder element to change/remove so it is what it is.

There are still certain things I miss from 4.23 (namely the ability to quickly press Esc and see exactly where you are on the route) and the new gradient / map screens are next to useless to me. I would like to see some UI improvements made but I doubt they will come any time soon (if at all); we may be stuck with this until next year when it is refreshed again

17. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

That will be the next dlc.
    We will be able to dress the driver, select his race, face, hair style, star sign and attributes…

He really is an irritant and serves little purpose.
    Who chooses the route because of the drivers outfit?

• Like Like x 1
  18. GrigoriRasputin

GrigoriRasputin Member

I rather like the new UI and I especially like the new colours. Orange and grey is a lovely combination.

19. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

I just want to see the weather I’m setting, and the time of day properly before diving into a service. I’ve had to back out of a service right away on multiple occasions as the weather and time of day lighting was not what I was hoping to set it to.

• Like Like x 3
  20. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Agreed. It doesn't have to be a spectacular full-screen preview. Just a smallish box with a vague depiction of the weather and of how dark it is, imho. Either 2 boxes or 1 combined is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  21. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

This right here highlights the glaring issues with the station diorama. Sure, I suppose it looks prettier, but the pros end there.
    The previous selection diorama was much more functional, even if it was just simple. The player has a nice 45° angle view of the train, and they can clearly see the time and weather conditions without having a massive flippin' glass roof covering it.
    How on earth did that get missed!?!?!?!?

As an artist I totally understand the desire to try something new and to experiment, however form should not triumph over function, especially in a case like this.

• Like Like x 4
  22. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

I'm not even gonna get into the UI. Ever since TSW2020, it's been a step backwards. 2020 was the best one IMHO. Instead of making it better, they give reigns to some inexperienced artist. At least that's what it looks like.

On the diorama - the logic of making this diorama matches that of going into your foyer to feel if it's raining outside.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  23. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

The 90s want their color scheme back.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

TBH I don't mind the colors either, but it would've been stupid easy for them to add a drop-down in options labeled "UI Feel" and have like warm and cool options for orange and blue respectively. Hell, they could've even implemented a color picker.
    Anyway, out of all the issues with the new UI, color is literally the smallest and most easily corrected, but it's a matter of taste/preference. One could even make the UI highlight color be based on the operator. So for DB, it would be DB red, CSX could be blue/yellow (as on their liveries), etc.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Honestly, the color of the new UI is just the least important of the many problems.

• Like Like x 3
  26. orb

orb Well-Known Member

I wonder if at least the camera position in the loco selection diorama couldn't be moved with a mod...

I know on PC it is possible to move/rotate camera in diorama with Universal UE4 Console Unlocker, but at the time no UI buttons can be pressed and loco selection can't be changed, either, until the camera is released from the unlocker (locking its position/rotation isn't enough), and once you release it, it gets reset back to the front view of the train, so to see another loco/livery from the side you need to unlock the camera and move/rotate it once again.

27. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

To keep this thread alive, I still don’t like the new UI I’m afraid. The old one was far far better! Perhaps for easiness DTG could give us (the players) the option of new UI and old UI? That way it should be fairly easy to implement (correct me if I am wrong) but also gives the players / the community a choice of which UI to use.

• Like Like x 3
  28. chieflongshin

I downloaded the back to blue one and its far nicer (in my eyes) than that ghastly halloween theme

• Like Like x 1
  29. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Here you go :)

Check this mod out JayTG123

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/mod-improved-main-menu-diorama-loco-camera-angle.46156/

• Like Like x 2
  30. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah that diarama mod makes it so much nicer. I've never really minded the orange tbh and I've gotten used to the route selection screen - I prefer a more visual approach rather than just a list.

31. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I like the orange myself, but can't stand the diorama, and the route menu is a real pain to use. And why no filters besides TOC? Why not, say, a country filter or a loco filter?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The back to blue & main menu/diorama mods have made the 4.26 menu fine imho, athough I still think it is inferior to the 4.23 menus. The upcoming speed/gradient screen is ok but could be improved upon

The biggest positives from the 4.26 upgrade for me is the 200% cab sway and the pak file compression which reduced my total filesize to more than 50% less which is amazing

33. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Yeah I have to agree with the filter, it's nice to have but I really want them to add a filter by loco, sometimes I just feel like driving a class 20 so to be able to filter to show only routes that a class 20 can run on, I can then choose a route and go from there.

• Like Like x 2
  34. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, does it really irk you that much?

• Like Like x 1
  35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Using the mod to downscale the UI does make navigating the UI easier, and it also makes the HUD a lot less prominent.

If only UI/HUD customization would've been officially supported, we wouldn't have to fiddle with .ini-files...

• Like Like x 1
  36. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Going to boost dislike of the gloomy station page.
    A cheerful sunlit siding would be preferable to the current gothic horror.

37. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Yeah. I always wonder while rolling the mouse wheel whether I already scrolled through the route I see or not while searching for the one I want to play on next. No filtering by country or at least putting a country flag like in the old menu, while most of the Dovetail Live "Community Challenges" every month are based on the country and not an operator is also not best thought. Changing the UI scale only partially solves the issue, as more routes fit on the screen at the same time and you don't need to scroll that much, but vertical menu without overflow was so much better.

Adding a changeable sorting order alternatively to filters would solve some of the problems I have with the route selection menu, like by route name or country, if no flags are reimplemented (instead of always from the newest to the oldest), but both sorting and filtering at the same time would be the best.

• Like Like x 1
  38. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

If this comment was serious, you maybe want to think about seeking professional help. If this comment was in jest, than you should rethink what entails a humerous comment.