The Two Br218 German Locs About Hydrodynamics Brakes...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VION, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. VION

VION Active Member

Hi,
    Sorry I post here on the forum the same related question I posted earlier to Steam forum to get a chance someone could answer. So I copy paste what I wrote on Steam forum (sorry for the double).

I need some advices to brake with this BR218 Diesel Hydraulic loco but how to use hydrodynamics brakes (just for the fun of the game)
    yes I already read some articles about the Voith Hydrodynamic retarder with turbine stator/rotor and oil or water but on the DTG BR218 Locos there are two models one come as a standalone DLC loco and the other come with the Hamburg to Lübeck route.
    The standalone DLC BR218 loco behave differently than the one from HL route loco.
    On the DTG HL route BR218 loco, when I have my wheel throttle set to i.e. notch 2 or 3, I can move the hydrodynamic brake lever (I play always with the mouse cursor inside 3D cab) while the diesel motor send power to the wheels axles which is a wrong behavior I think. But as soon as I apply some hydrodynamic brake, the rpm motor down back to idle (about 200 rpm) without touching the wheel throttle still set to notch 1 or 2.
    On the standalone DTG DLC BR218, the behavior is more realistic because when the power is applied with the wheel throttle whatever notch above zero, it is impossible to move the hydrodynamic brake handle but only possible when the wheel throttle notch is set to zero.
    So commonly good sense make me thinking that the standalone DLC BR218 has the right behavior as we never apply power when we want to brake.
    But I can be wrong because the Voith hydrodynamic brake system could work differently that I don't know.
    So the question is what is from these two BR218 models the right behavior or the more realistic simulated hydrodynamic brake system please ?
    @TraimSim James or Martin you can also give a good advice and your mind about these DTG products this will be welcome.
    Cheers
    Gerard

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. VION

VION Active Member

Hi, at the risk to be unpleasant, I wish to add some clarity about what I ask for.

Could someone please either technical engineer or simply expert or advised person could explain how to manage as in real life the hydrodynamic brake on this BR218 loco ?
    I already searched on internet some infos about that but no luck I just got generality on this loco.
    Better than a long written text, a video even if in German language would be very appreciated.

Cheers
    Gerard

3. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello there!
    This might be the first Germany related question I might not be able to completely answer. To my knowledge, to increase the effectiveness of the dynamic braking, an energy conversion is used (how exactly doesn't matter) where mechanical energy is transferred to heat. This can overheat the engine, however, when braking, this can't happen, because the engine is in idle. Therefore I think it shouldn't be possible to brake with power still on in locos with hydrodynamic braking. How this is exactly regulated in real life, I do not know.

I hope I was at least somewhat helpful,
    Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. VION

VION Active Member

Hello Prof ;-)
    Thank you for your answer.
    I already read some articles about the Voith hydrodynamic braking system and have a global idea how this system works but the explanation were for trucks brakes systems. I presume this feature applied to the train is near to the same technically saying.
    As you say, when applying hydrodynamic brake, the power engine must to be in idle that makes sens as on my car for example, I use only one foot to act on the power pedal or brake pedal (I say for normal drive not on GTR or race cars style drive). So if I want to brake, I don't push on the power engine pedal so the engine is in idle mode. On whatever engine powered mechanics it seems normal to make the engine on idle position before applying whatever braking system. I don't know on the hydrodynamic braking system if this brake system can counteract the rotation of the engine piston/shaft without to damage the engine when some rest of power still exist in the engine.
    I don't know if you understand well what I tempt to know but simply I ask when engine is still under power is it possible to apply Hydrodynamics brakes, without risking to damage the engine. As I think on a hydrodynamic braking system the heat generated by the energy to be lowered/dissipated is cooled by oil or water inside the hydrodynamic braking system.

To come back to the game, I think using the BR218 loco, and to simulate the real things, when the engine rotation is at 1000 or 1200 or whatever rpm, to use the hydrodynamics brakes, the throttle wheel must be set to notch 0 first, then applying the needed level of hydrodynamics brakes even when the engine rpm is not down back to idle (200 rpm). I don't know the quality and efficiency the hydrodynamic braking system brings when the engine rpm is still on 1000 or 1200 rpm or bellow . (may be it has the same efficiency as at idle 200 rpm).
    What I think about the hydrodynamic braking system is the more engine rpm = the more hydrodynamic turbine rotor has speed turns thus the more efficiency hydrodynamic brakes… But I can be wrong

Cheers
    Gerard

Last edited: May 24, 2018