Xbox This Is Officially My Last Ever Tsw Purchase!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ExcelsiorGamingYT, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Ah, today I learned you can do this without a keyboard. Although I hate anything bound to the stick click in games that requires me to hold it. Good thing I have a custom Elite Series 2 pad on the way, where I can bind it to the paddles..

2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The way Simrail does it isn't actually that bad. The camera is static relative to the loco, but the loco movement is visible as the whole loco sways slightly. Therefore controls are a lot better reachable with the mouse.

3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

In Simrail, Vertical movement is separate and you can see the cab bobbing up and down separate to the player camera, whereas horizontal movement is locked, you dont (as far as I can tell) see horizontal movement between the camera and the train.

For me, that makes it feel too rigid personally - and you lose the "aarggh too fast around that corner, steady on" feeling - but - open to thoughts, we can dial the horizontal movement down or perhaps just stick it on a slider?

Matt.

4. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

I think a slider would be better, as everyone can adjust it to their preference. I like the way it is. Now, is it just me, or do you ’feel‘ it more when driving vs as a passenger? I really like that. As a driver I've gone round seemingly innocent curves, only to have that 'oof, i hope the passengers won't complain' moment. ( i only slow down for speed limits lol )

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually you do. The announcement system could simply "read" the distance counter, which is always active.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

A slider would be best. I appreciate the cab sway motion as it is. I agree about the loss of horizontal movement being detrimental. So, I would prefer not to change it, and with a slider, I wouldn't have to, but of course someone else could.

I might also suggest using operations shift for some of these functions, if not TMS, then whatever the future may bring as far as the functionality of screens. It seems as if operations shift is not really well utilized; I only ever really use it for sand and changing the tone of the horn. In the olden days you could control the wipers and bell, but no more. I would love to have the bell back within the control scheme.

A word on internal camera views. Although this could help, there should really be a way to assign one or two of these views to a controller button, again possibly utilizing operations shift. Just having a view isn't particularly helpful if you have to cycle several times to get there.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So there is absolutely no reason why the announcements weren't automated? OK...
    #baffled

• Like Like x 6
  8. ARuscoe

To be honest I thought this was achieved by having a zero electric section and the systems reacting to that rather than there being markers on the track or OHLE, but thanks for clarifying

9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

That would have made more sense, as the game is already capable of simulating it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Remember AI trains when ridden as a passenger are using different physics so this is probably why you don't notice it as much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

But don't forget that RIVET is responsible for the DLC here. And they are not known for bringing updates afterwards.

With DTG, you can at least be sure that there will be several updates that will fix the biggest bugs in the beginning. That was also the case with BRO. In general, I have to say that the last DTG routes were all better. The last vehicles and routes from Germany have been of high quality lately.

This is similar to the DLC for MSTS back then. There was a notorious series called "ProTrain" with often dubious quality, while other manufacturers (e.g. Halycon) were usually 2 classes above it. But there was no quality control on the part of Microsoft, although - similar to DTG - they were the real publisher, which is why there was so much bad DLC.

For me, Rivet is the ProTrain of the TSW. Sad but true.

12. DTG Matt

It's two systems really - having a zero electric section of the track is one part of it, but having balise that open and close the MCB is a second part of it (just as in reality). That said, currently in TSW if you mark sections of the track as non electrified, the timetable will refuse to route electric trains down it (a change that was put in to prevent developers from routing electric trains into non electrified sidings since Ruhr Sieg - so it made sense at the time, but needs to be a bit smarter now). Small change needed to allow that aspect of it to be done - so currently Edinburgh Glasgow is just using the balise. The core track routing change is the reason we haven't done Neutral sections yet ourselves, fwiw.

This is indeed the case, headsway is still present on passenger views but there's no body movement as there's no physics at that level being simulated, so you're mostly getting simple g-forces. It works well enough :)

Just to be fair to rivet here - they are working hard on an update. The current plan is to give an update on what/when etc for the next roadmap stream, and for the update to come out probably real soon after, but I have asked Rivet to focus on reviewing player feedback and getting more/better fixes in rather than a short quick update that perhaps doesn't scratch the itch(es). However - none of that is finalised, Rivet are working hard and we'll give you more clarity on it on the Roadmap stream.

Meanwhile, keep your bug reports coming in (direct to Rivet probably the most efficient place, but perhaps also udpate the thread(s) here as well, i've pointed the most useful ones to Rivet already).

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
  13. ARuscoe

This answers A question without answering THE question
    IS there the tech in game, right now, to be able to place track markers which can trigger an event. Obviously specifically we are talking right now about announcements, but outside of a via marker or such, does that tech exist?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ExcelsiorGamingYT

ExcelsiorGamingYT Well-Known Member

That was just the get to TMS to recognise the controller, I have never been able to use a mouse on xbox it won't work correctly

15. DTG Matt

This is exactly, 100% precisely, what the balise are doing on the neutral sections on edinburgh glasgow.

They are sending a message to the train. How the train interprets that message in its internal logic is up to that train logic. Whether it opens an MCB, closes it, or plays an announcement. AWS is the same. All trackside safety systems that ping the train at specific moment work this way.

This is something I also spoke with Rivet about and they are looking into.

Yes, that would be another way of doing it but would need to be event driven ("ping me when i'm X distance") because having train systems going "are we there yet?" every frame is gonna hurt your FPS (for all AI trains too if you want announcements on those as AI trains, its like 100 kids shouting "are we there yet?" and a 100 parents losing their minds :)

But yes, a system that allows the train to register for distance based events would be a good thing, not something Rivet can do and would need core engineering support. Meanwhile, track triggers are here now without any core engineering required.

Matt.

• Like Like x 4
  16. DTG Matt

Hmm... i'll try it again, i'm sure it worked on my XSX Retail console when I tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

Thanks for the straightforward answer :D
    Time to lobby for triggered announcements then!

• Like Like x 2
  18. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Until the next release lol

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i would like to see in scenario planner, ive made a few of them. id like to see the AI trains when they reach their destination, say for example Redditch, Litchfield or any other end of the line station for the AI to spawn off the map so that other trains can get into the stations instead of cueing up down the line

20. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

A short term fix for TMS would be to
    Make the buttons larger too. There are several that are just not needed like the fast Train approaching and the class 385 one.

Clearing the ones that aren’t realistically going to be heard, would allow the others to be enlarged.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

How about a highlight mode on the displays- one click in the area and the cursor disappears the view is locked and a highlight can be moved from button to button or across each screen element that’s usable.
    Use controller back button to exit the highlight mode.

Another thought was to have an inset of the display on screen similar to the task list which is fixed despite any sway. Again exit using back button. Although this thought is t so good for immersion I guess.

This issue also exists on current rolling stock- it’s hard work on some of the German stock screens.

22. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Concerning accuracy of cursor for reaching controls, if head sway is a motion added to the camera, could not this movement be subtracted from the cursor so that it looks like it is hovering over a control no matter the camera movement?

• Like Like x 1
  23. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply and information about further updates of the route and loco.

But: With Rivet's Lucerne route, the points of criticism were hardly or not at all resolved, so I'm rather cautious with my joy. I hope they just got better here.