This Is Why The Community Is Upset

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 6, 2020.

1. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Yes, and TSW has an in game editor to put logos and liveries on unlicensed trains. I think the important thing with both of them is that they are not providing a mechanism to share and thus promote the dissemination of trademark infringing content.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigH

BigH Active Member

PES has an import/export function in-game, even on PS4, and if you know where to look on the internet....

3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I would've thought an import and export function will eventually arrive into the game. Although naturally it'd probably be more limited on consoles.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It would make sense if it was limited on consoles

5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

As a real fan from this type of games for ages (since the Rail Simulator from Kuju era) my personal opinion is that I decided some time ago to take a rest on this to see where they are going to with this game. I just got TSW2 cause it was on sale but I had been almost 1 year without playing TSW. And for sure I don´t plan to get more DLCs till I see big changes on this. If I get any will be cause they are really on big sales as well. TSW2 is nice but it´s still a TSW1 with 2 more routes and a remake of Sand Patch. We are lacking the real basis and that has been always the same since many years ago:

- You don´t really have freedom to customize your own gameplay (the scenario editor only allows you to place things at some predefined marker locations). I don´t understand a train simulator concept that does not even allow you to create your own consist or place wagons at the places you want in the entire route in a simple and easy way. We have a lot of places that took lot of time to be developed and we can´t even place a locomotive there if we want so. The older versions of game had a nice graphical editor that allowed you to do everything you wanted!

- You don´t even have free roam scenarios for all routes where you can create your own duty situation and play around with things

- There´s no support for TrackIR nor external HW yet. Amazing... End of 2020 and you can only use a gamepad. No comments.

- We have no steam era content at all.

- The old bugs or well known issues are still there, even if you see them reported in the forum and steam over a over again by different users nobody takes care of solving or improving them

- No real innovations, and I mean real big changes to the original concept, have been introduced in game since the original Heavy Haul (Sand Patch route) release. It´s always the same thing with just new content, but even that is unchanged as we have, for instance, no new vehicle types or something different to what we already know.

I like the game, but I have the fear that this evolves to a more rigid concept after time passes by with shortest than before routes and limited to a predefined timetable that lacks variety every time as well. As an example the BR185.5 in the new Schnellfahrstrecke Köln route: it has only 6 services which are all the same: point to point from one route end to the other at different hours. The other 185 loco comes with much more, but they are again a point to point copy-paste.

I have spent some days playing with it and also reported to helpdesk like 15-20 issues that I already saw in the early stages of the original DLCs releases and that still reamain exactly as they were after release, and are still not solved. Terrible...

So my personal understanding of this is that the house grows too fast without consolidating its foundations. More DLCs are put into market to obtain benefit but they generate also more bugs, so at the end of the day the DLCs are a way to maintain devs busy correcting errors instead of implementing new things or improve the core topics and whishlists from the users. So to say they generate more workload with a limited addition to user experience. At some point the user fun-frustration ratio will reach a limit and that will be simply the end of journey for most of us.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  6. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

It's a game/sim about driving trains. I'm not sure how much you can really expand on that concept with 'big changes' or new vehicle types. Even if they add steam-era content, as you suggest in your post, you're still either shunting, hauling freight, or running a timetabled passenger service. Since the release of Heavy Haul, they've added suburban commuter railroads, electrified routes/EMUs, high-speed lines (Koln-Aachen), a geared diesel multiple unit, British Rail-era content, modern content, a heritage railroad...

I agree with

I agree that they could do some more interesting scenarios, but there are still only so many things that they can do with the systems they currently have, and people would complain about scenarios still feeling copy-pasted. (How many times can you rescue, replace, or overtake a train with operational problems?) To get more interesting, such as trains running with occasional delays or breaking down, causing issues and delays, DTG would have to add and simulate even more complicated and detailed systems when, as you've said yourself in your post, they're experiencing the same bugs and issues with what they've already put into the game.

I agree with a lot of your post, about issues with legacy bugs that need to be fixed and the problems of reintroducing the same bugs (or worse, sometimes, in the case of Preserved content), but I think if we ask DTG to try new things and do more right now, then we're just asking for even more problems that will push that fun:frustration ratio even more out of balance, given that they still haven't really perfected the basics.

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I believe the scenario editor is still in its early phase so presumably over time it will improve in functionality.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

That´s the first conceptual mistake about what a train simulator should be, and it´s exactly the same error on Dovetail´s current perspective: this is not only a platform to drive trains. It´s a platform to simulate what you can do with trains, which is very different.

Dovetail´s approach is that a player will enjoy just by driving from A to B, and that´s why they put hundreds of services for you to drive. First error. But you don´t need hundreds of services to do the same thing at different hours of day or weather conditions just only cause the real timetable of the route has hundreds of services. You need an environment where you can drive trains from A to B when you want, like in the case of passenger but also transport goods with background that gives sense to that. For instance: why to include multiple industrial areas in all routes if you can´t use them to load wagons if you want? That´s why freight services are so boring for people, cause you do nothing else than driving or shunting maybe. If you are lucky you can load something few times per route, but again you have no freedom. You have to stick to a very particular case, and play it in the way developer designed the service. So variety is very limited and everytime you replay a scenario or service is always the same. The fact is that everyday in the life of somebody working with trains is indeed very different, even when you do the same task.

Dovetail´s approach is that a railway fan will enjoy using a fixed set of predefined consists. Second error. I like trains since I was a child. I enjoyed just by playing around with my scale trains, creating my own consists and moving them around in the station and imaging my own scenarios. The whole simulation concept of a game itself is just inside your imagination. Is your brain that tells you "hey, that´s you in a train cab!". If the platform does not allow to simply put the 2 tankers and 3 box cars you want to use that day, if it does not give you freedom to create your own scenario, it gets boring in short time, and boring means no money. That´s a simple equation for business. Honestly, painting trains with green bananas or red squares does not mean give access to creativity, as the new tool claims to do.

Dovetail´s approach is that putting multiple DLCs they will create the income they need to cover costs and get profit. Third error. We don´t need to have more commuter trains, more locomotives and more wagons. I just need tools to do more things with those trains we already have. For instance: why not using the freight wagons we have to load goods? That feature is very limited and almost all routes have some industrial areas. Why is that so limited in game? Why do we have a so big yard in Cumberland and we don´t have a single scenario to use the hump yard? Why the Ruhr-Sieg Nord, full of industrial areas, has no single scenario to load a freight train? Why so much devolopment efforts put on those areas if nobody is able to use that sections of the route? We have veeeery few interactive loading areas in the whole route. I remember the previous games having tons of loading areas for coal, containers, etc. Why not now?

They also created a lot of track works models (workers, excavators, etc) and they are only used in one scenario per route, if ever used. Why we don´t have random track works generated, every day, for instance? Why don´t we have any service related to the maintenace works? Why don´t we have any maintenance vehicles at all? That´s an important part of a railway indeed. You also have workshops but you never have to drive a locomotive there for any type of maintenance. You don´t even need to refuel ever in life. Why are trains always fully loaded of fuel in most services? Also the train wash plants. Barely used if used at all.

Why don´t we have the hability to manage the railway traffic ourselves? The famous signaller mode, requested hundreds of times in the forums? Why I can´t choose to send a particular train to a particular track if I need to do so because, for instance, I have a random generated failure on one track catenary, or simply cause I want to do it that day? Why don´t we have random failures at all on our sevices? We never have to deal with broken systems in our trains nor any degraded operational modes, except very few exceptions, already planned by a developer in a scenario?

So, there´s much more that driving possible in a simulator, as you can see. But the very first thing to do is to let player´s create. Let the players imagination work. All those things could be done with a editor, which was their real big mistake since start. Any other games I know allow you to do so, create routes and create scenarios. This is one of the few exceptions indeed. I understand Dovetail needs to get money with this and they want to protect their baby. It´s a business at the end. But I can tell you I invested much more money in the earlier versions of the game than in the new ones, as they allowed me to do much more things than this one. So, either they change their mind soon or this is not going to be profitable any more as nobody will like to play this game.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The ability to create your own timetable including mixing and matching stock between different routes is IMHO the minimum they should be looking at. I'm not too bothered about route building these days, I served my time in MSTS, Trainz and RS/RW and frankly my carpal tunnel and poor old eyes have taken enough punishment, but I do find creating schedules and putting timetables together quite fascinating. I've done it a couple of times now with MSTS routes using the timetable editor in Open Rails and it is quite gratifying to see your plan come together.

We shouldn't have to resort to mods if we want to use a Western on the GWML, or see how a Class 40 performs in America!

• Like Like x 4
  10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeap. I will never create a route myself now. I did many in the past with other sims and it´s a hard task. I acknowledge the effort from the devs in this case, really, as the ones we have are very nice. But I think at least the infamous scenario editor is a must. I just want to be able to create my own free roam scenario the way I want. At least that superbasic feature...

And there´s room for much other DLCs if they want to follow that approach, which I totally understand by the way, as we all need money in business. But those DLCs need to bring new features, not only new rolling stock or routes. They need to keep the game alive and the players excited about what will be next surprise. That keeps the wallets open too, at the end, so everybody will be happy in both sides.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  11. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Imho, both have value. Timetable is something that I very much missed in the classic TS for a long time, especially after experiencing schedules in OMSI 2. Sometimes all I want is really just to drive a train from A->B, in a IRL representative service. Having a living 24hours timetable, where I can even "hijack" AI trains and drive the remaining part myself is one of the main advantages TSW has over classic TS.

TS also has a big problem with route underutilization, because most of the time the scenario that come with routes only let you experience a limited part of the, in limited conditions. Sure, I can make my own scenarios, or look on workshop, but both have their own set of problems. I.e. creating own scenarion is a time-consuming process, and if you want the level of AI train you get in TSW timetables, it will require several runs just to make sure the AI is working as you expected.

I'm all for having a more potent scenario editor, but for me that is a complement to timetables.

• Like Like x 6
  12. tallboy7648

I think some people like myself realize that Train Sim World 2 is not a new game but more of a update to tsw2020. So much for the "Evolution Of Train Simulation." I have reported so many bugs to technical support like passenger problems on the bakerloo line. DB BR 422 passenger light problems and screen display problems, M7 audio issues and I can go on. DTG doesn't have a good track record of fixing bugs since like you've stated for some odd reason. As part of their "Release it Now, Fix it later" policy, they tend to rush out dlcs that are filled with bugs instead of making sure it works properly which is becoming a joke at this point and I hope they end that policy. Now in terms of the db br 185 services, The Koln Aachen route is 42.1 miles long (which is way too short for a high speed route and should be extended to brussles midi which is 77 miles away from Aachen HBF and to Frankfurt which is 94 miles from Koln HBF) and since it's based off a "realistic timetable" your not gonna get many frieght services. I think it would be cool like in Train Simulator 2021 to be able to choose your consists in tsw2 but that isn't the case. Steam trains would most likely not come anytime soon as that would require a additional upgrade to tsw2 for it to work and you'll either be doing, passenger services, freight or shunting. TBH I wouldn't want a steam train

13. tallboy7648

I think dtg should add variety to their timetables because realistically there may be track work when doing a service or something else happening. Maybe a train ahead broke down causing a unexpected delay. In terms of freight we should have the ability to load and unload goods and do more. Although since they are a small company who rents one floor of a building, it may be too much to ask. I just think there should be more happening when driving from a to b in mostly non full line routes.

14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

geloxo That is an excellent post.

• Like Like x 4
  15. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I think custom events would be nice. Kind of similar to how some routes like LIRR there's a chance for different trains to show up or not. Maybe we can have a custom event where there's something wrong on the station where someone is holding up a door, or there's an extra train or something. Otherwise, I think all of the really crazy stuff like track closures and track replacements should be saved for scenarios instead. Which brings up the conversation that we need a REAL scenario editor. Not this glorified quick drive that is essentially useless given how limiting it is. Like seriously, we can share scenarios on PC, but has anyone even done so? I can count maybe on two hands the number of custom scenarios shared on the TSW Community website and rail-sim.de, and it is laughable to say the least.

DTG give us a real in depth scenario editor. We should have the liberty to be able to create scenarios and share them similar in quality to the ones that come with routes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. I tried to be constructive. I mean, at the end of the day we all like this game, if not we won´t be posting here. And I think the potential this simulator can offer is huge indeed.

But some things needed to be at least exchanged openly so that the team sees that there´s room for improvement and you can still have good business out of it. Happy customers and good profit, which is the right balance.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  17. theorganist

I think variety is important especially on a route where there is variety. For example TVL with just the class 101 and 37 would get dull quite quickly but when you add in the possibility of seeing a class 31 or class 20 it adds interest and more realism. So I would like more trains for many of the routes we have.

But I agree with your other points it would be good to have more interactive freight industries.

• Like Like x 4
  18. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The issue with freight is that it almost feels like an afterthought on some routes. Which I think is intentional if the said route is focused on passenger services. ECW and GWE are good examples of this, where freight services fall short of expectations. It's more of drive from point A to B than it is focused on the freight operations.

Lack of loading and unloading facilities as well as set operations has a bit impact on freight activites too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Re randomisation, events etc., the old Train Driver 3 programme for the Amiga (ran on an emulator on PC) actually featured these. You could specify level of signal failures or other events, e.g. getting cautioned for an issue ahead (nothing grisly, obviously). A traction inspector used to pop up at intervals with a radar gun to check if you were speeding. Performance of the motive power was also randomised, you could get a "good" loco in ex-Works condition or one on its last legs before next major overhaul. If you abused the traction, i.e. ragging the ammeter in the upper yellow or lower red, the reliability would decrease and could eventually fail.

As a retired former railway controller I can vouch that day to day operations rarely go smoothly and that aspect is unfortunately a bit missing in our train games, making things a bit sterile.

• Like Like x 9
  20. theorganist

I think random events would definitely add a new level of realism. Maybe you could have a slider which give you a more or less likely hood of something going wrong depending if you feel like having an easier journey or not. This would really enhance service mode. When I make scenarios for TS1 I often put a late running train in front of the player service, but of course you know it is going to happen if you have made the scenario yourself.

I can confirm, as a commuter on the Snow Hill lines that things rarely run smoothly. Rarely a week seems to go by without a signal failure or a fault on a train. Although the boundaries of reality were pushed when it was announced one evening that trains were delayed due to sheep on the line near The Hawthorns! Unless they were a group of West Bromwich Albion supporters I know not where in West Bromwich where there are any sheep!

• Like Like x 4
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Driving from point A to B isn't too bad, I did plenty of it in good old Train Simulator. The Class 66 is a nice locomotive to drive, unfortunately driving at GWE is pretty much full throttle all the way over a boring straight 4 track railway with barely any interesting scenery, and on ECW timetable mode you can drive for like 5 miles or so...

Tees Valley also only uses a small portion of the route for freight trains. NTP might actually be the best of the UK routes when it comes to freight, although it is indeed limited to driving from point A to B, with a tiny bit of shunting.

Loading and unloading facilities would be a nice welcome. And preferebly a bit more than just coal/gravel. :P

• Like Like x 4
  22. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I like the current timetables.
    What I would like to see in the current scenario editor is the ability to edit the timetables by substitution.
    I want to be able to run my loco and my consist within an existing timetable.
    So all the hard work of passing trains is already done for me.
    Idle I know.

• Like Like x 3
  23. hightower

hightower Guest

Agree with DTG Protagonist, really good posts! You’ve captured what I’ve been trying to say for a long time in a far more eloquent way. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Problem is if you're running a light engine 52 would have different timings to a HST which would have different timings to a fully loaded 66 consist, or a 377, or well just about everything
    That's why substitution is a skill, you have to make sure that all the interactions are going to work all along the route

• Like Like x 1
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This ^^

That'd pretty much combine the best of Train Simulators Quick Drive mode, and TSWs Timetable Mode.

It'd also make any loco add-ons much more valuable as they would no longer be limited to certain routes.

26. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

some kind of RNG mechanic would be super cool for replayability in service mode - even if its simple things like temporary speed restrictions in random areas, workers lineside etc - just little things that are random and add some life into a route.

TSW is almost sort of at what id call a base level for AI traffic (In Germany anyway), the other routes still feel pretty dead but even with all the AI traffic on Munich/Augsburg the route still feels void of "real life" people working etc.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I still think some German routes are pretty quiet with too few AI traffic, but I guess it all depends on which DLC you own. Which is another downside effect of the limitations caused by DTGs layering & substitution systems.

• Like Like x 1
  28. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, im solely referring to Munich, but given the way DB are pretty standard across the nation I would imagine GER routes will be well populated (on PC anyway), the issue is going to be the other nations - GB routes for example will mostly only really get the benefit of class 66 layers, as most companies are fairly localised, the only major one I can think off based on current routes would be Thameslink would make good use of the Southern 377s.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Winzarten

I think making AI trains limited to DLCs is something I really don't like about how the layering works. Not owning DLCs can make some routes to be almost completely devoid of AI traffic. Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen is a prime example of that.

Imho, DLCs you own should not affect AI traffic, it should only affect the trains you're permited to drive. And seeing a dlc loco on a route is the best ad for that DLC.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  30. theorganist

I can't see them supplying AI only versions of stock for AI traffic, especially for stand alone loco's or units. It wouldn't be too long till someone in the community modified it to make said item driveable.

31. ARuscoe

There's very little software that will give you "free cut down versions" just for AI...

32. Winzarten

DCS, Il-2 BoX, RaceRoom Racing Experience just to name a few that have similar business model to TS - continous free core updates funded by DLCs. Seeing piece of content live on your PC is the best AD you can give for that piece of content.
    Even in the classic TS you have some routes that come with AI only trains.

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

I like driving from A to B and back espicially on the Bakerloo Line. But I think it does get boring when nothing much is happening. We need things to happen when driving trains like in real life because it's not always smooth sailing. It's nice that they have things such as doors getting stuck in scenarios but things like that should be in the timetable mode.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It should try to find a suitable train from your collection, instead of relying on one specific train as the current system does. If the services are designed for loco add-on 1, but can be substituted with loco add-ons 2 and 3, then the whole route will feel empty when you don't own add-on 1, even if you own add-ons 2 and 3. That's a stupid system. It should use add-ons 2 or 3 when present, regardless of ownership of add-on 1.

The current system will only provide more limitations and awkwardness as the amount of content available for TSW grows.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

What i miss is the 'things going wrong' scenarios other than a lockup screen bloating derailment.
    The trains in IL2 Sturmovik have well done damage models, exploding steam locs, burning tank wagons.
    Glad it's only virtual but it adds realism.

From real-life this week in the Rotterdam area (no one got hurt):

Metro Accident.jpg

36. ARuscoe

I don't know of any...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. aeterna

aeterna New Member

Berlin - Leipzig. Apart from this, I don’t know any as well.

38. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The Chicago - Aurora route also comes with AI only trains, so did the japanese Wakayama Line route, but the AI only train got updated into a drivable one later on.

I also think AI only rolling stock would be great to increase variety on routes, while cutting development time/cost, as pretty much only a model would be needed with basic functionality, without all the details standard rolling stock have. Especially for rail lines running parallel to the given route we're driving on, for example - so for trains that should be represented, but can't even be aproached really, as they are on a separate railroad line.

• Like Like x 2
  39. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve been saying. To have AI Trains you can’t drive on tracks you can’t use, they would spawn in at random intervals to give the routes more life.

• Like Like x 1