Today's Patch Only Fixed One Major Issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vinnie, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

See patch notes.
    There's a handful of problems waiting to be fixed, I can tell some major ones like:

- LIRR and Nec Penn stations tunnels failing to stream correctly in very particular spots(which personally I don't think it's a streaming problem, it seems to be not rendered at all)

- The BR Class 47 on consoles have a problem with the load regulador maxing the voltage at around 182v instead of 465v causing the locomotive to be extremely sluggish and frustrating, not a enjoyable experience at all. This issue can be completely overlooked if you not aware of the correct performance of this locomotive on PC.(Thanks to user DominusEdwardius for letting me know)

- Various sound problems on Peninsula Corridor already addressed at a specific thread, specially GP38-2 major problems with the engine sound cutting out and the horn stop working suddenly.

- DB BR 155 sounds cutting out and game sounds also completely disappear during gameplay, this issue seems to be triggered opening windows/going through tunnels on Ruhr Sieg Nord route and it's a unique issue on this lomocotive (Keep in my mind we are talking about a separate loco DLC here, so unacceptable at this point that we're having sound issues)

- Some players still reporting crashes on services and scenarios on Northern Trans Pennine route and West Somerset on a specific scenario.

- Lot's of other problems and nit-picking that could make a huge list.
    If I'm missing something really important, please let me know.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

The tunnels ARE rendered - that is to say, they have textures attached to the walls. If you drive through the tunnels very slowly, you will see this, and they will look okay.

If you drive over 50mph, then, in the Penn tunnel, some of these textures will not load. This is despite having left the major construction of NY Penn behind (which no longer needs to be in RAM), and despite the fact the tunnel is built in a void space, with nothing else to draw except maybe twelve repeated low definition textures - and an odd signal. I reckon that the simulator gets overloaded because of the tunnel construction (which is extremely poor), and it trips up the textures at the sim boundary. These sim boundaries are (probably) every 250m to 300m, on a grid.

The same problem occurs in the long tunnel on NTP, but it isn't quite as bad, as what you are seeing "not render" on NTP is at the sim boundary that is beyond the next one, by the time you get there the textures are present, but then the next two sections of tunnel prims go white (in the distance).

To be fair, these tunnels would be extremely tedious to build, so I am not surprised that not much time was spent getting them right. I'd rather be carefully building Penn station or the shed at Huddersfield, than building miles of seemingly bland tunnel. But, as we have found, it turns out that you need to build the tunnels to the same quality, or probably to a higher quality because you are moving through them so quickly.

Each tunnel will take two days of work (each) to fix and get right. And it could cost as much as £300 to £500 for each tunnel. And in that time, you could build a complete major station for a new route (not including the countless hours required for the actual artwork, of course).

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yes, the try to patch on a granular level rather than fixing each and every route in one shot. Don't forget that each route is a standalone package, distinct from all the others even though they use the same front end in TSW so what gets patched in one doesn't have any effect in the others, so it can only be that they patch one at a time

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

I mentioned the rendering issue because I wonder, there's 4 tunnels (3 actually usable I think) getting you in and out Penn Station, One of then, just one particularly, right at the same 2 exact locations has this issue where they dissappear into oblivion. The other 2 tunnels far from perfect (various lighting issues) however they always stream correctly no matter the speed you are.
    Regarding costs, I understand there's one for everything, but honestly I don't really think that should be a player's concern.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

Just to add to the conversation here, the DB BR 155 also has some braking issues but only on Ruhr-Sieg Nord which causes the train to slow down too fast. Some users reported that it actually isn't a fault on the DB BR 155 locomotive itself but actually the hoppers. Makes sense to a degree as this issue isn't present on Main-Spessart Bahn. This issue has been brought up earlier but i just wanted to post it here for added visibility ;). Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

All of these bugs should be in the bug reports section rather than on a post commenting on how this specific patch has only patched certain issues (else the forum gets really messy)

I didn't mention cost, I said that patches have to be individual to each route, so in this patch one issue on one route got fixed, nothing more

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder deki ;)
    And yes, you're right about the freight wagons, it's a know issue btw and not only with the 155, but with all others locomotives when attached to theses wagons on RSN.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

hey ARuscoe, I mentioned costs because of the previous post :)
    About the post itself, I don't think this will cause the forum to get messy, the intention is to call attention for major issues waiting to get fixed and has the purpose to point out the latest patch lackluster covering.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Fixes take time to be developed. We pushed out our latest patch to fix 2 major issues which could be fixed our end quickly.
    If you'd prefer we wait weeks/months until we have one huge patch available then I will feed that back to the Dev Team.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

I don't prefer absolutely anything Daniel.
    My concern as a player is regarding issues that still in game for months now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

This is a hotfix for the two big issues we've had. There will be a follow-up update in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Dimitri, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Also I'll like to ask more communication regarding know issues, letting us know what the dev team is aware could be really good for both sides

• Like Like x 2
  13. TrainSim-Dmitri

We communicate where we can, the list of issues is bottomless so we can't reply to everything. Regarding Change at Jamaica issue we've said a thousand times on the forums and social media that there is a patch coming yet people kept asking. Doesn't always depend on us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry if you're upset, as a player I'm also upset. I don't think it's dev's fault either.
    I want this game to succeed, it's not my intention to upset, mock the game or speculate crazy theories like we already see some users did in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TrainSim-Dmitri

No worries sir, I understand your frustration as I play other games as well, we are continuously trying to improve our communication such as posting timely patch notes, being here on the forums etc. I'd suggest you join the Train Sim Community Discord channel if that's your cup of tea, you can find lots of help from the community over there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. synthetic.angel

Hi Daniel

Since you've asked for feedback in your post... I think my preference would be that whenever there is new content arriving, or modified content, that such content is tested at least once, on a reasonable spec PC, the XBox variants and on the PS4, by someone that is familiar with the application. You could choose not to test absolutely everything, take a risk, and hot run it (publish early, and test "later" content, like the services/timetable on a rolling basis, post publication), but if you do this, could you at least prioritise some sort of test for the first few minutes of gameplay, for each new/revised module to be published, before they are published?

All of the Training and Scenario modules should be completely stress-tested, multiple times, as an absolute minimum. Now that you have introduced "Journey", I would suggest that everything linked to a Journey is robustly tested, before publication. This would save you time in the long run, and keep more new players "on board", and wanting to use/buy your products.

With regards to bugs that appear after publication, despite your future absolute best efforts to test for them beforehand, obviously some sort of triage is required, and patches/fixes appearing sooner for major issues is always better than later. So I support your general thrust on that. How you set criteria for the triage is obviously potentially quite complex - but feedback from what is "bugging" the community should provide you with a bit of a pointer. Ignore them at your peril - they are your loudest advocates when you do something good, and your loudest complainers when you don't get it right. Listen to them. Don't deflect.

Certainly don't ask PS4 owners to rebuild their database, when they tell you that they have seen a Blue Screen of Death in a scenario. I don't know if you do that, but I strongly suggest that you don't do it.

17. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

You must can't win DTG....

Patch one major issue, and you haven't worked hard enough, wait a month to patch 10 issues and it has taken too long!

Thank you for fixing in game issues DTG.

Players - Keep raising those support tickets with detailed information and fixes may come.

18. synthetic.angel

Hi Dmitri

Firstly, thank you for patching the LIRR Change At Jamaica Scenario. I strongly suspect that you have lost the attention of a lot of new PS4 customers because of the faults in that introductory scenario, and I guess that you have data that shows you this to be the case.

Secondly, slightly Off Topic - thank you for appearing in various videos showcasing the TSW content (such as SFJ). I always find your comments and sense of humour both useful and well balanced. You guys actually convinced me to buy the "Deluxe" pack for the SFJ route. (Although, NB: "Deluxe" normally means "Of Extremely and Unusually High Quality", as it derives from "of luxury", it doesn't mean "slightly bigger"... but this is a minor point....).

Moving back to the topic though.... and temporarily setting aside the need for you guys to start urgently thinking about developing a pre-publication testing procedure for new and revised TSW content.....

.....and with respect to your current published content that has bugs in it....., I would say that you need to fundamentally review:

- your processes for identifying bugs and issues internally;
    - your processes for channelling bug reports through your Support System;
    - your Support System processes for initial contact with customers that report those bugs;
    - your Support System processes for dealing with bugs by forwarding them to second line technical support;
    - your Support system processes for handing over issues to the Dev Team(s);
    - your Support System processes for providing feedback to customers, including technical advice on what customers should do with their hardware (and especially the case for all PS4 customers that have been advised to do anything at all with their standard hardware);
    - your standard Support System documentation responses, especially for PS4 customers;
    - your Support System processes for understanding the true current status of a Support Ticket; and
    - your Support System process for managing roles and responsibilities within the Support System.

But....

Before you do any of the above....

Could you please provide a sticky thread, under "Known Bugs and Issues", that lists the "known" bugs and issues that you are prepared to say that you recognise as bugs and issues, including what you intend to do about them, and when. This would massively cut down the number of queries about bugs and issues, to those bugs and issues that are "unknown".

I would have rather have handled this privately through your Support System, but your Support System didn't really work very well for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1