Train Sim World 2 - Boston Sprinter Climb Aboard On The Corridor

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Aug 9, 2021.

1. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

Every train has automatic braking, are you asking if it has self lapping brakes, unlike the manually lapped cal train brakes? If so then yes it’s self lapped.

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hoping it’ll be a much more enjoyable drive than the manually lapped version. I was also stressed trying to get the Caltrain FP40 to stop in the right place.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

After driving the Baby bullet loco, I went back to the F40 with glee because the manually lapped brakes are much more satisfying and fun to use. The self lapped will still be fun though.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The manually lapped brakes can be fun. I find them easier than on the BR Class 101.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nberneck99

Once you get the hang of the manually lapped they get really satisfyingly fun, just takes some practice.

• Like Like x 3
  6. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

At least to me, I don't think manually lapped are that much more difficult. I find the challenge more in the blended brakes on the F40. I usually start with something equivalent to a minimum set at whatever distance I judge to start braking, and it seems like it will be perfect to get to the 35/40 I target for entering the platform. And then the dynamics kick in and next thing I know I'm at 15mph and just entering the platform. Or after that happens, I brake later anticipating this and end up e-braking into the station. ~2 years with the F40 and I still haven't fully figured it out :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. mooseman#8630

mooseman#8630 New Member

For everyone who is upset about the current state of the Amfleets in the new DLC, including me. I suggest for a more realistic Fly-By experience, you decouple the rear coach of the train on timetable services.

8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Why?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It's an interesting loco considering it has manually lapped brakes, but automatically adds in dynamic and bails off the loco for them to be effective.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

But that was such an enjoyable challenge - if only our animated passengers could laugh at how badly I missed some stopping points!

I really like the lapped brakes, mostly because I feel like I get much better control. The initial reduction is often too large in the self lapped locos.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Don’t get me wrong, the lapped brakes on the Caltrain FP40 are enjoyable to me, but they are also stressful lol. With all the concentration needed driving a train, it just seems an odd design choice - making things trickier for a driver rather than easier. But then I guess practice does make perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

The manual lapped braking system on Caltrain's F40PH-2CAT units are very unique and fairly hard to master.
    It takes quite a while to master these controls, but given time and patience it is possible to master these simple, yet complex controls.
    It's also very rewarding to master this type of braking system.

[Generally]
    As for the coaches and cab cars on the MBTA trains. I agree with everyone who said it looked very plastic and very clean. I'm unsure if this is a specific requirement by the MBTA to DTG for licensing their brand in-game or being very particular with their railcars.

As a reminder, coaches being used on this route (BTC-3 and CTC-3) cars were built in the late 1980s by MBB. So clearly they have been in operation for a long time, thus evidence of scuffs, scratches and worn out paint/rust should be present to complete the aesthetic pleasure of the train cars. I did notice their is some wear and tear but not enough based on my POV. They look too clean for their age and very plastic in the TSW 2 screenshots. I am unsure if this is the way the MBTA wanted DTG to recreate their BTC-3 and CTC-3 cars or if this was just a design choice made by DTG. But we know that Amtrak was VERY particular with their ACS-64 and their Amfleet cars to DTG, as stated by Matt in the first stream.

Also compared to real life, they have a glossy finish to them, not present as it stands in TSW 2.

But overall they look very good compared to real life, albeit without the various texture issues. They look close enough to be identical
    That's my views.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Thats the Fun for me...

• Like Like x 1
  14. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Just got to the section of Thursday’s stream with the horn on the MBTA F40 - it’s awesome! I am really looking forward to this route.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I finally got a grip on manually-lapped RL24 brakes after driving the F7 a lot. Although I really wish that on both American locos, DTG had included that highly useful feature of the Class 101, a "move to lap" key.

(The Class 66 also has them, although it's rarely an issue since on most UK freight services in-game you only ever stop once, at the end).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  16. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

I am so happy to see DTG listened and added more wear and tear to the BTC-3 and CTC-3 cabcar and coaches. If you watched yesterday's stream Matt pointed it out and it shows more rust and dirty stains on some parts of the cars and doors. It's a better improvement of which I love.

We should have Matt do another balloon loop service around the loop just to get him angry haha. He can do this on the launch stream.
    5mph around the loop is just crazy, takes a good 25 min to go around it, but it's good fun.

As a reminder, Boston Sprinter: Boston - Providence is scheduled to release Thursday August 19th, 2021.
    It's not fully confirmed, the core update to TSW 2 most likely will release Tuesday August 17th, 2021, following DTG's historical TSW update schedule.

• Like Like x 6
  17. solicitr

Without cruise control

• Like Like x 2
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The more I'm reminded of that missing feature, the more disappointed I become. The Siemens Sprinter is a beautiful loco, but it feels so incomplete right now.
    Actually, though, would it work at such a slow speed?

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

Probably not. Just a joke, really (now, if it had a freight loco's slow speed control....)

20. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am guessing, but considering Siemens European locos have AFB all the way from 5 km/h... it definitely should be able to have a 5 mph setting.

21. nberneck99

The 5mph speed limits are so silly, I believe no real railroad does anything under 10 in the US, it’s usually just restricted speed which is “being able to stop within half your range of vision, not exceeding 15mph in yards and 20 on the main. It’s kind of unrealistic to restrict us to 5mph when in real life it’s more to the discretion of the engineer and conductors car counts when shoving.

• Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Bear in mind all of this is different IRL compared to a game. Real-life speeds and speed limits are completely frustrating in a videogame. How many times have you walked in a game, where a sprint is an option. And how much do you run during your normal day? Same for car speed limits - 50 km/h in a city is perfectly fine, 50 km/h in a video game is super boring. There definitely are places where a 5mph speed limit would be a thing. Turning around the train on that balloon takes about 15 minutes, which is completely fine IRL. The player sees 15 minutes of crawling.

24. Crosstie

I asked about the 5mph yard limit in Cathcart and was told it is correct for that route, though I've never seen it anywhere else in the UK system.

I would think that the Amtrak movement being in reverse through a busy yard is the reason there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  25. Crosstie

Now you mention it, I recall reading somewhere on the forum that one of the modifications on the Amtrak and Septa versions was to restrict the cruise control to 10mph and above. Might be an FRA thing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

UK rail depots are generally 5mph, the one I work at is 5mph and it's a fairly big depot. Waiting for a train to cross the foot crossing feels like an age!

27. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

If you're looking for an actual reference, this is ripped straight from the Amtrak Employee Timetable.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s the other way round. In real life engineers are restricted to 5mph (or whatever the limit is in other locations) and we can go as fast as we like. If you want to whizz round the loop at a dangerous unregulated ‘silly’ 15mph, then go for it. Scream if you want to go faster, nobody is in danger in the game.

29. nberneck99

Well I’ll be damned! I thought it was ridiculous but I suppose not

• Like Like x 2