Train Sim World 2 - Pringles Competition

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 21, 2022.

1. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I'm too busy driving my train to notice ads or vending machines anyways so I don't really care if there are a few here and there.

But you know the whole purpose of a company is to make money, in fact we all live to make money, it's just the way the world works.

So if they are making extra money then good for them. They aren't making a dime for any of the pres. crew work that is being done. It's a smart way to be able to pay their staff, you know so they can live too.

I'm not going to stop playing sports games that have ads for Pepsi, Snickers, Gatorade in them. Just think 30 years ago it could of been cigarette and liquor ads.

Like the Marlboro Sega Game Gear that came out. Keep your empty packs to redeem for one. LOL.

• Like Like x 6
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well sports games do advertise those products in reality but your not gonna see a Pringles advertisement in English on SKA in reality

• Like Like x 4
  3. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get our posts sponsored

This post has been sponsored by the ET Atari game appearing in a landfill near you

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Kellogg is even worse than that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Kellogg vs. Nestle: between child slave labour and Colombian mercenaries (among countless other proven tragedies swept under the rug), it's a tough call. It seems DTG have determined that the money speaks.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

flashheart-woof.gif

• Like Like x 1
  7. tallboy7648

DTG: We support the LGBTQ community and equality. But we willl take down Trump 2020, Nazi, Brexit and other forms of hate speech in creators club and the forums.

Also DTG: Let's do a competition with a parent company that has violated basic human rights and committed other crimes/tragedies.

The hypocrisy is just baffling.

• Like Like x 8
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m jealous that I can’t see these controversial vending machines because I’m on PS5. I want the opportunity to shout loudly about how they shouldn’t be there but I can’t because they aren’t there in my game and I feel I’m missing out.

Please, please, please DTG add the vending machines to Playstation so I can join in with the whining about a vending machine being on a railway station platform with a real life company represented on it. The thought of a realistic vending machine for snack food on a station in TSW fills me with so much hate that I’m simply itching to get off my chest if only it was there on PS5.

For now I’ll just have to be content to complain about all the real vending machines currently on real stations throughout the world and the vending machines taken from the real railway stations of yesteryear that are now in museums all over the world, they make my blood boil. I recently saw an old one for Cadbury’s chocolate in a rail museum and I had to show extreme self control not to just smash it up right there and then. How dare there be food available outside of a buffet car setting. It’s just not right. Oh that reminds me, we need buffet cars for the trains in TSW but don’t you dare advertise any real brands on them.

Alternatively, just take out the Pringles now and while you are at it take out all the branding on the trains. I say boo to all this advertising for corporate brands in games, especially those greedy rail companies.

* this post may be satirical

• Like Like x 10
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

And what, pray tell, may this post satirise?

Cheers

10. tallboy7648

Sarcasm aside, you can just remove branding from a train via livery designer you know. Trains don't really have advertising inside the trains either. I know the 523 has a stool advert but that is fictional

• Like Like x 2
  11. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Au contraire, they do here in Chicago. The el cars have a line of ad holders along the top of the sides. Some cars have the outside completely wrapped. And in one relatively recent case, the entire inside of a car was wrapped for an Alien Covenant ad. That was a very cool ride, though maybe not for small kids.

nauj8pzu7bwy.jpg
    C8fkQ9wV0AIQBsw.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. bakedpotatos.jm

I agree definitely a screw up not doing that, it should be in the home countries language for sure. You may see an english ad in that part of Germany though as I find alot of the west speaks english, at least it was back in 92 when I was there last.

Also they probably should have been on LGV as well since the promo is for France as well. And yes those should be in french if they were.

But since our lives are already covered in ads I guess I'm just blind to the ads in the game and most of real life as well.

13. bakedpotatos.jm

Yup all over North America our public transit systems have similar wraps for different products and movies.

And they do make money off of them too. Isn't that just horrible? LOL

Heck even clothing companys have you as a walking advert. Thats why there logos are so prominant.

14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  15. tallboy7648

I meant in game hence why I mentioned the 523 fictional advert. Of course real trains are gonna have adverts

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

It's not a bad thing but I just think players should have an option to turn it off like the bidstick ad's. No harm no foul really if there was an option

• Like Like x 3
  17. Calidore266

Fictional ads, sure, but the whole point of the real ads is to reach the players. A German-language ad appearing to players in an English-speaking country wouldn't make sense.

18. bakedpotatos.jm

I didn't think of it that way, but you are right.

19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just picking up on this... 1992 was thirty years ago... Something may have changed in almost a third of a century!
    Yes many Germans have a good grasp of English, certainly better than most English people trying to speak German, but still...
    Last time I was in Germany (2019) there were some posters with English words on them, but the bulk of the text was in German

• Like Like x 1
  20. tallboy7648

Sure but it would add authenticity. That's like saying the safety systems and station names shouldn't be in German because that wouldn't be appealing to those who don't speak English. The competition is also available in Germany as well

• Like Like x 2
  21. Calidore266

Completely different thing. The ads are for the player. The labels and signs are for your in-game character.

In my case, it's the German labels that take me out of the game because I have no idea what I'm looking at, unlike my native-born engineer. :)

22. tallboy7648

Your logic makes no sense. It wouldn't be a completely different thing. It would be somewhat authentic to the route. Sure you probably wouldn't be able to understand it but that shouldn't matter. I don't understand some of the buttons on the fusebox on the ice but Im not complaining that it should be in English

• Like Like x 2
  23. Calidore266

This is the distinction I made earlier between real and fictional ads. Fake ads (e.g. station billboards that are simply part of the decoration for atmosphere, etc.), as well as signs and train cab labels, should indeed be in the route's language. Real ads, those paid for by an advertiser to reach TSW's players, need to be in the player's language, or it's a waste of money.

24. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This has to be a new low,we have been reduced to arguing about a potato chip vending machine in a train sim game,where i would say this game has bigger issues to deal with then how many pringle machines can you collect on a route.Plus this contest is another slap in the face in the fact the US player base is excluded as if dtg thinks there not worth any extra effort to some how be offered something to compete for as well.I understand this mean extra money for dtg but is pringles co (uk&ger) really hurting that bad for business in these countries,it's not like some start up business,you do know they been around quite a while.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tallboy7648

This is exactly what I have been trying to say the whole time since the competition is also available in Germany. Not every german player in tsw speaks English so they may not even understand what it says. The Bus for example has real world ads that are in German which also adds to the authenticity. Sure I may not understand it but hey I don't expect real world ads in Germany to be in English everytime there would be one

Besides these ads are also on BKL so if anyone plays that route, they can see the ads in English as well. Also the ads don't seem to actually advertise the competition at all so even if a casual player saw it, they probably have no idea that there is a competition.

• Like Like x 1
  26. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

As for advertisement for the routes, instead of having other products, it will be much better to have train related ones!
    Like this examples:

11030.9ed5fdca.jpg

Maerklin_Start_Tab_Element_HO_20.jpg

Last_train_to_london.jpg

;)

27. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, i would rather prefere the effort goes into actual trainsim stuff / fixes / creations.

Whats getting advertised isnt nearly strong enough at all to calm players down from the frustration tsw causes sometimes. ;)

So in which year the broken numbering on the ntp mk2 coaches & 100t tank wagons gets the fix?..
    I get it, the team is too busy with stuff nobody needs.

• Like Like x 3
  28. ARuscoe

THE team? There's more than one and they do very different things, so maybe the ones involved in the artwork for the posters aren't the ones who would need to be involved in fixing the issues you mention (ie artists rather than engineering devs)

• Like Like x 2
  29. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I dont question anybodies work at dtg, just questioning the priorities in this particular case.

• Like Like x 4
  30. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This seems a money grab from DTG and a cheap one at that given there is no choice to turn it off when the option is already there for other advertising. If DTG want to use advertising could they not use advertising that fits in the game and from companies with better reputations?

DTG keep banging the drum how 'inclusive' they are but they exclude the US (which really seems strange) and don't even have the Courtesy to use the country's language the advertisement is in, to me it seems rude and exclusive.

Have DTG said where the revenue goes from the advertisement of Pringles Crisps or even from their other adverts? Will it mean more quality DLC's, or just pure profit?

• Like Like x 5
  31. tallboy7648

I highly doubt that this competition will improve quality of future dlcs. Pringles seems to benefit the most out of it to be honest. The adverts on the routes don't even mention the competition at all nor does the pringles website

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  32. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Obviously not as the large English player base likely doesn’t speak German and thus doesn’t fully understand the advert :D

Seriously, if anyone from DTG tries to tell (or sell?) me that this is meant to boost immersion …

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

There are the same adverts on BKL.

This is like saying that the systems on german trains shouldn't be in German because English players don't understand what it means. I don't know what PZB or Sifa means but hey they should be in German and not in English

• Like Like x 3
  34. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I remember joking the entire way through Quantum Break about how the main divergence from our timeline caused by the original use of the time machine, was in it creating a reality where everyone uses Microsoft Surface tablets and Windows Phones. In that case it made sense why they did it, since it was a Microsoft product and they weren't going to show off their competitors' products for free much less pay to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  35. grdaniel48

Running again on the updated GWE route, I found on Reading the following:

TSW2 - READING SHOPS 3.JPG
    TSW2 - READING SHOPS 2.JPG
    TSW2 - READING SHOPS.JPG

As it was a long time I did not use this route - before the update - frankly speaking I do not remember if they were already there before, or were included now with it.

Are they real shops or not?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  36. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

WH Smith is. They have been present on railway stations going back to the days of steam. Not sure about the others.

Edit: The Bagel Factory and Pumpkin Cafe are real too, as is Delice de France.

37. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope WH Smiths is real otherwise I'm not getting paid!

• Like Like x 6
  38. tallboy7648

It is a real British retail company. I guess they have a shop at Reading station.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I know it's real I work for them, that's the joke

• Like Like x 4
  40. ARuscoe

All four are real brands, all four have major presences on British railway stations, especially the major ones

41. grdaniel48

I do not live in UK.
    So thanks for the information!
    Nice they are real ones for the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  42. tallboy7648

On SKA, DTG updated the Pringles advertising from English to German which was a nice touch.

• Like Like x 3
  43. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Real company in U.K. aswell goes for “Caffe Nero” visible at Paddington if you’d saw that one to

there’s a green signed one to but can’t remember what’s it’s name is

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  44. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...found the "Pringles" vending machine at Köln Hbf. But for now it's only available on PC and not yet on Playstation consoles.

Pringles at Köln Hbf.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  45. Calidore266

That's okay, according to Google, the text on the machine says it's currently sold out anyway. The translation of the billboard is interesting, too; I had no idea Pringles were optimized for gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...maybe it's sold out, because only the winner of this competition can refill it (at least in a digitally modeled form). I guess chips are some kind of high calorie superfood for gamers. However, it's also very healthy to exercise and do some sport every now and then. ;)

47. Calidore266

Looks like the machine will hold five flavors. Here's a picture I found of German Pringles flavors in 2016. So which five would you all stock if you had the choice?

28728411425_47a55ded83_b.jpg
    Side question: Four different kinds of paprika flavor? I only know paprika as the red stuff you sprinkle on deviled eggs. What is there about it as a main flavor that supports so many variations?

For myself, I can eat way too many of the original in one sitting if I'm not careful. Then I think I'd go with the Nacho Cheese, Pizza (Chicago, can't help it), Sour Cream & Onion, and Texas BBQ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Calidore266

Hey, watching your speedometer redline while trying to juggle the different brakes on a 5000+ ton freight descending a mountain is very good for the heart rate!

• Like Like x 2
  49. ARuscoe

Germans love paprika flavour crisps...

• Like Like x 1
  50. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im currently eating A New York Style Cheeseburger Ltd edition purchased at Lidl. Nom nom

• Like Like x 1