Train Sim World 2 - Pringles Competition

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If it's a " real " New York Style cheeseburger, it must have a slice of pastrami. ;)

2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Indeed :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

According to today's update notes, the vending machines on Sand Patch Grade are no longer out of stock. Plenty to eat, then, for all those starving passengers on SPG's trains. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tallboy7648

These passenger trains on SPG must be invisible then ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Hey, no passengers means more for me, the engineer.

A job where I sit most of the day, and all the chips I can eat. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Surely we need to get them invisible vending machines full of invisible snacks then?

• Like Like x 2
  7. tallboy7648

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My missus did sandwiches for lunch today with a side of... Pringles.

They really are the most balluddy disgusting example of a crisp, shaped and compacted starch paste with a bit of vinegar flavouring sprayed on. Not even as nice as Walkers, let alone Kettle or McCoy's.

Why on earth did DTG throw in with them? If money is tight, how about actually making something with, you know, trains in it for a train sim? Actually bring out some new routes or DLC for existing routes (like the additional steam locos and catering cars we need for SoS) than advertising this unappetising and unhealthy nonsense.

• Like Like x 5
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm with you mate although I will say after a few beers try having a few salt'n'vinegar pringles, boy, they make you thirsty, ;)

10. tallboy7648

Sir, you have no taste. Pringles are soo delicious :)

What flavors of pringles have you had tried before if you don't mind me asking?

(Also I do agree with your second paragraph)

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

Salt and Vinegar. I really can't bring myself to try any others (and I don't like anything that tastes of cooked cheese or BBQ right across all the crisp ranges).

• Like Like x 4
  12. dhekelian

Mate, I have been told for years now I'm strange because I don't like cooked cheese. I could tolerate the odd pizza but any other cooked or melted cheese makes me heave and should be banned, perhaps I could get Sam to do it :mad:. Nice to find I am not alone, lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You’re certainly not alone. I, too, have been told how odd it is not to like cooked/melted cheese when I simply can’t stand it (the only exception being pizza though I prefer as little cheese as possible on it).

• Like Like x 3
  14. tallboy7648

That certainly wouldn't be weird. People like different things

• Like Like x 2
  15. dhekelian

Have you tried a pizza without cheese? I did as my daughter told me a student she knows did and thought it would be a laugh. It was tasty, I had bacon double onion and those jalapeno's. lovely. We could not start a movement! With the things they demo on nowadays we could start a 'Down with melted cheese' one eh?:D

Are you saying I am normal then? I can now come out the closet? (oo'er) :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    Must tell the wife, hahahaha.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Lamplight

I have, in fact, and enjoyed it very much. Usually, I’m just peer-pressured into having pizza with cheese. I’m down for that movement though :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crosstie

Pizza without cheese? I'd be careful. It was only recently decriminalized here in the US. It's still frowned upon in polite company. But... The way the world is going these days, it wouldn't surprise me if it became a " thing ".

( Shhhhh. Actually, pizza was originally made with just bread and tomato back in the 19th century. )

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  18. OldVern

Glad I’m not alone as regards cooked cheese! I love uncooked cheese especially a nice Cheshire or Wensleydale, or a cheese and onion sandwich but melt it or grill it and I’ll be in the corner calling Hughie Green.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Making a route, locos etc takes up a lot of time and effort on behalf of a whole team or teams of people including management, dev, engineers, artists, QA, testing, PR etc etc
    Making a single asset and one NPC to interact with it (and nothing else) takes up one artist.
    A DLC makes a bunch of money initially then a slow burn over time, may need updates or tweaks (more dev time in other words), the single asset never does and they get all their money in one go.

TLDR : Making a pringles box and a guy to fill it makes money quickly and simply, making DLC does not

20. OldVern

Yes I think we all know that. The point being they chose to place advertising for a product that is not particularly appetising or nutritious (unless you like eating processed starch flakes) over other aspects which could have improved the product. And they still had to employ people to make and texture the model then go into the various routes to unbake, place the machines, rebake and distribute. Those same people could have taken a pass through SEHS and similar routes to remove the grass snd shrubbery where it’s right across the running rails at the same time.

It just shows to me where their priorities are. Great if the revenue from advertising the starch flakes is ploughed back into improvements or to fund a DLC pack for SoS, but the cynic in me doubts that will be the case.

• Like Like x 5
  21. ARuscoe

And this makes them money how? You comment started with "If money is tight", so relating to money how does people going back and fixing some grass on the track make DTG money?

I'm sure the money went into DTG coffers, some of which is paying the devs and pres crew to do their work.
    Your statement seems to align to those who think that "road tax" is still a thing or that National Insurance goes to fund the NHS.
    Money is money in the end so if half a day's work for an artist and a day's work for a scenery placement dev can make them a few thousand pounds it makes commercial sense.
    Of course if you don't happen to like compressed shaped starch flakes coated in fake seasoning, that's up to you but some find them moderately acceptable

22. OldVern

Not directly but it increases customer confidence that DTG actually care about the product and enhances the possibility of future sales.

As regards the rest, well not getting into keyboard lawyer mode it’s still too hot, but I stand by my view that the whole thing was a bit pointless even compared to the dynamic advertising posters most of which were for another unhealthy product (Coca cola!).

• Like Like x 3
  23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I like Lays more ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

Not really... I don't care much about grass on the tracks (which does happen), I care more about red lights, trains being real and actual gameplay (you know, maybe seeing a yellow or "proper" red light occasionally). Things graphic artists don't tend to make

I don't know any "healthy" products that would pay to be in a game... Just about anything someone says is "healthy" is likely to be a gimmick or not healthy at all really.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ARuscoe

Lays = pepsico
    You know, the people who got raked less than a decade ago for using slave labour
    Also, palm oil is a thing for them...

• Like Like x 1
  26. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest, the stereotypical “rail fan” isn’t adverse to a few crisps/potato chips are they? I guess DTG saw this as a decent way to make some cash and Pringles played to stereotype! I’ve never seen a train spotter eating an Avacado salad on any station to be fair..

• Like Like x 1
  27. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I literally don't have a sense of taste, or very little and so, pringles are very much like everything else a cardboard feast although salt and vinegar are the exception they taste like matte cardboard.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

You're half a year late to the party, I'm afraid.

29. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

30. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Spambot?

31. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Not sure as these two is written in his own words upload_2022-12-4_13-27-48.png

• Like Like x 1
  32. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yes, it is soliciting for some mobile app which looks extremely suspicious.

Cheers

33. Lamplight

The lower post is just copied as well:
    Definitely seems like a bot or something.

34. Lamplight

And the upper one is copied from here (minus the inserted hyperlink):

35. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member