Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 08/03/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 8, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Can we stop having a new promise over the release of PC updates every road map? Last plan just 2 weeks ago(?) was all 16 updates spread over 3 updates once a month in March, April & May. Now hopefully by the end of summer?

Make it easy on yourself and just say they'll be out when they are out in whatever order and volume they are ready in and by the time TSW3 comes out all 16 *should* be released.

• Like Like x 8
  2. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I don't like this roadmap format, it's impossible to know how far along stuff is. The old format with the production, upcoming and next arrival sections was much better.

As for the handling of preserved routes updates, I am at a loss for words.

• Like Like x 18
  3. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Hm, no news about the last poll, Roles, MP...

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think that having a monthly roadmap is frankly a good thing. There were some players that would complain that nothing new was on the roadmap but expecting a shiny new dlc every two weeks was simply setting yourself up for disappointment and setting unrealistic expectations. When things weren't moving on the roadmap, it made the roadmap quite useless frankly because it felt like the same stuff would just be repeated again so hopefully a monthly roadmap means things will actually move around instead of just staying still and repeating the same thing again and again.

Now in terms of the preserved collection, what probably happened to Peninsula corridor was that the fixes that were done brought more bugs and thus failed qa. So at least it's going back to be fixed. Now the issue I have with this is that this entire mess could've been avoided if the routes from tsw2020 were ported into tsw2 properly instead of just rushed with clear as day bugs. It's understandable that players are frustrated and it's sad that this mess could've been avoided in the first place.

It would've cost dtg less time and money if they had tried to quell these issues before release compared to now. DTG have a long history of "Release it now, fix it later" and this is what happens when you have that mindset

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the East German State Railways logo can be available for automatic insertion. Looking forward to the Harlem line

• Like Like x 1
  6. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

When listening to the updates coming to East Coastway on stream, I was very concerned that the updated London Commuter sounds for the 377 weren't mentioned. I've barely touched East Coastway since London Commuter came out because driving the 377 just doesn't feel right with the old sounds, and this was what I was most looking forward to with the updates. I distinctly remember them saying they'd get to this eventually.

I asked several times on stream but I was ignored. Did they just forget? Or does no one else care?

• Like Like x 4
  7. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Proof is in the pudding. Again and again they push off the preservation updates. Say what they will, we’re just being strung along by the nose, Peninsula Corridor is one of the best DLCs (imho), and it’s a darn shame that they have no interest in getting it fixed.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

PlayStation wise

I’d love a trophy update please DTG…
    Talks for months and months and…

what’s the plan? Just asking again as some stuff they are missing and the limit won’t be far off with all the new routes in the horizon.

(deleted a few hundred words of rant so this post has a point and not a moan :|)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I won't be buying any DLC untill the preserved updates are released and urge others to do the same.

• Like Like x 14
  10. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I used to really enjoy the roadmap but now I find it yawn-inducing. I am glad they are moving to monthly so that it no longer seems so dull. I miss how the old roadmap showed upcoming routes and DLC that are far down the line. I never had any expectation of dates. It was just nice to know what will be coming up someday. Then when it is announced, I look forward to the preview videos, articles, and streams. Although I have more than enough DLC in my collection to keep me busy, there is just something about new releases that excites me.

Looking forward to the upcoming releases and the preservation stuff.

• Like Like x 5
  11. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Just because the roadmap releases every month instead of bi-weekly doesn't mean its guaranteed to have "exciting" stuff on it. We've probably had at least 6 RMs now where there's been "this is boring, nothing new" comments.

I knew, from past streams Penn Corridor was gonna be moved down the list - but seeing it happen sucks. It's the one route I've been waiting on since TSW2. As a hobbyist programmer, I understand DTG's challenges (that they got themselves into) and try to keep a level-head about the whole process, but this was supposed to be the next PC update last year before the focus shifted for 4.26 and RH and the PC's general focus changing after that, and frankly I'm starting to lose patience with the state of much of the old content. But thank goodness we now have snow and rust on the rails (or whatever, I skimmed that part). Anyway, I don't really want to rant, as it accomplishes nothing and won't change anything - and the forums have enough of that, but I really hope these updates are some of the best things to happen to TSW2 so this wait is worthwhile.

It'd be nice if we could get a spotlight or even a full blog post on what you're doing to fix ATC/ACSES for Harlem so that can be backported to Boston. That is my biggest deciding factor in whether Harlem is worth buying.

• Like Like x 12
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

According to Cactus, DTG have been working closely with an actual MTA guy to ensure they get it right this time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

I'm still a bit puzzled by the release dates, Natalie and JD are both saying it's going to be "significantly" released by the end of the summer, and yet when discussing it in the roadmap stream, Matt said it'll all be out by June, of which Natalie agreed with? So which is accurate, DTG you're either misinformed or just plain lying?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You need to take a closer look at Nat's actual words:
    Most - not all.

15. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

Her words from the stream were completely different to what she discussed with Matt though, but hey, they'll send out the updates when they're ready, at this rate in a few years.

• Like Like x 4
  16. solicitr

That's not exactly what she said. What she said was "most of the updates to be out significantly before the end of summer." In other words, for a given definition of "significantly before," they expect that prior to Sept 1 or 21 by that "significant" length of time (i.e. June), most of the updates will have been released. It seems only a few problem children might take longer... probably because QA will find themselves occupied with the summer-bundle releases.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

In answer to Nat’s request for feedback on the new mini article style of content in the roadmap, explaining in more detail some of the ongoing dev work with added images and videos, I would say that it is definitely a good thing and I hope to see such interesting snippets in every roadmap from now on. It was also nice to see more screenshots of the steam route in the stream.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The wheels look so much better.

• Like Like x 2
  19. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him saying that, so that gives me hope. But I'd still like an article on it because part of the problem I have right now is I'm not an expert on ATC/ACSES, so if I find something that doesn't seem right, I have no clue if that's correct or a DTG bug. It'd be nice to have them share some of their learnings so I can try to get a better understanding.

20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is any work still being done to fix the signalling on Boston Sprinter or has that been brushed under the carpet?

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

Hold on, hold on, hold on- ALL the rolling stock for Liverpool? So no bloody brake/guard vans?????? You simply CANNOT have a pre-modern British passenger train without one!

I can live without a dining car, but this is a FATAL omission. Christ, if they simply painted the NTP B/G maroon it would be better than nothing at all!

• Like Like x 5
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Did anyone spot the steam train. I can't be ar*ed to worry about preserve updates. I'll just stop spending on dlc instead.

Genuine question, will we see smoke billowing from side, underneath train etc or are we just getting if from the top. Looks good thus far

• Like Like x 3
  23. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s really hard to trust anything regarding the preservation content being released at the moment. Given that the roadmap will now be monthly, what’s to stop them saying it’s coming soon™ once again in the next roadmap?

If they’re not released by the time the next roadmap is out, then I’ve lost all faith in them actually being delivered.

• Like Like x 18
  24. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

If we can have some more in-depth detail -- updates on steam locomotives, passion projects, screenshots of little details being implemented into TSW2 -- each month, and given that the roadmap has moved away from showing how far along new content is in production, then I don't really mind the reduction of road maps from biweekly to monthly.

The new steam engine tech looks wonderful. The new radial blur looks significantly better than the current blur, it's a really great improvement. The interaction of particles with the environment is also lovely. I hope these can be backported to the preexisting models without too much difficulty.

25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I am just going to go for the Harlem Line and thats about it, I doubt that even though you tell people not to by anything, they will still try to convince us with the new route and train which eventually we will all fall into this trap and can’t resist the urge not to buy, if it’s something that we want.

• Like Like x 1
  26. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I also like the old format better especially letting us know advance what to look for in the coming month. I really do hope that they can bring that part back onto the roadmap update page

• Like Like x 3
  27. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

We should have that person who work for the MTA to be on the stream this Thursday so that we will know more and how to work it correctly

28. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

What just happen I am so lost right now?

• Like Like x 2
  29. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

You might be right, they have used this excuse many time in these past few month already. I hope they really not saying this and then lied to us at the end. I bet Adam and his team are the only one that work hard implementing these but the rest of the QA Team slack off and start making excuse and excuse and just not working on it. I don’t know if i can trust any word that they say anymore unless there are proof and result. Remember Action Speak Louder Than Words DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  30. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Thats what I keep on saying in the post, to show us more behind the scene stuff on the stream so that we can at least know that they are doing the things and not lying to us

• Like Like x 2
  31. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Looking on the bugs in recent releases, I am worried about SoS... will the new mechanic be implemented correctly? Will fireman work as it should. Will braking physics be properly simulated etc, etc. I have many doubts. And because this is going to be a first such route it simply has to be good, otherwise people may get discouraged... And even the hot fixes are not released such often as they used to be, not to mention big patches.

• Like Like x 2
  32. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I'm all in favour of 1 roadmap a month but I'm also starting to question the format. I got to get to know this game in lockdown times but those day seem to be behind us so there is much less time to dedicate to livestreams over here. Why does the roadmap needs to be the same format as the live streams? I can understand when you show a route you want to show this live but some of the streams would fair better if they were no live streams but nicely edited shows. For the first time I scrolled thru the roadmap and probably watched only 10 mins of it. What I missed here is some visual cues on what the subject is that is being talked about because I probably missed a lot of stuff I was interested in. Don't want to sound rude but I ain't got much time left in a day so I want to spend it more wisely

The roadmap serves like an announcement of where the game is and where it's going. Separate Q&A from the roadmap because most of the time information needs to sink in before the right questions surface. Get a couch and a blue screen and go sit together once a month in front of a camera and bring us a nice roadmap show ;)

• Like Like x 3
  33. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m really looking forward to the Harlem line, but it’ll be a none purchase if the signalling system doesn’t work or the sounds are lame like they are on LIRR since TSW2.

I have lost a lot of faith in DTG to deliver a decent product and don’t come on the forums anywhere near as often as I did. Hopefully we’ll start to see things turnaround, but the number of bugs in each new release and the length of time it takes to fix them has worn me right down.

• Like Like x 14
  34. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you must have missed the first coach they showed us which was, if I remember correctly, a maroon BSK. If you aren't familiar, it's half passenger accommodation and half guard's compartment.

• Like Like x 1
  35. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

He really needs to put a waterproof jacket on it that weather ;) :D Where's the High Vis Vest

• Like Like x 1
  36. orb

orb Well-Known Member

It's because the roadmap part from the "Roadmap" got removed, and just the part that can be called devblog is present. The title hasn't changed to make people believe they will still get some good idea when they can get what's listed there, like previously, i.e.: next arrival - within next 2 weeks, unless some major bugs are found; upcoming - in the QA queue, more than 2 weeks away; in production - possibly might be out withing a couple of months; in planning - probably in a half of year or more; but that isn't the case anymore. It's now a merged list of things in production and QA with what's listed on top being the most possible to come out next, though without a time frame, instead divided into sections of who's doing what (i.e. core team, 3rd party, preservation team, etc.).

• Like Like x 2
  37. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Last year around this time the new project for 2021 was leaked (Rush Hour, Passenger,...)
    This year there seems to be no project at all. DTG only runs after the faster routes and tries to build things in there.

It was to be feared that there would be nothing new this year... Surveys are no longer of interest.

Let's wait...

• Like Like x 2
  38. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Isn't steam the new thing this year?

• Like Like x 3
  39. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Yes but it's not technically the "big release" of the year in terms of the "Summer update" we see every year. It's big in the sense it's Steam and the first on TSW but that's it. I expect we'll see the Summer update later this year if at all..

• Like Like x 2
  40. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Steam locomotives? Creators Club? And it's only Q1 of the year

• Like Like x 2
  41. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I really like the way snow renders on the Harlem Line tracks. That is a nice improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  42. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Leaked? Matt and JD did a stream as part of the "We are railfans" weekend where they announced Rush Hour as that year's release bundle and Spirit of Steam as the big development project. Hardly a "leak"

As others have said, SoS is due this year, CC is out in beta and they haven't announced any of their "regular 2022 releases" as yet, even if you count Crewe to Liverpool which was probably decided on last year

• Like Like x 2
  43. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticed that the stream was really short yesterday? They discussed all the parts of the roadmap, spending more time on some topics than on others. For example, I really enjoyed the new steam footage. It’s great to get an in-depth look at the development process instead of having to wait until shortly before release for the first images. Could’ve spent some more time on the Swiss route, which was originally supposed to come out before Harlem Line but has seemingly been delayed without any explanation.
    What I really missed yesterday is the Q&A part of the stream. They answered barely any questions, which is especially unfortunate considering the next such stream will only happen a month or so from now. Other streams were promised in replacement of the discontinued bi-weekly ones, though, so maybe we’ll get more of the amazing endless Matt streams instead!
    Lastly, could we just go back to the old roadmap style, please? By all means, keep the amazing dev insights at the top, but sort the add-ons, updates and bug-fixes by Next Arrival, Upcoming, In Production and In Planning again! This would really fit the new monthly style of the roadmap. Not having any idea when stuff will release is just so unfortunate.

• Like Like x 5
  44. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I reckon Steam is the major Summer release this year. Although not everyone’s cup of tea, it’s a significant step change in the game.

45. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to suspect there's not much in planning by DTG for this year beyond SoS. It seems like a pretty monumental undertaking.

Maybe we'll get another route from Rivet or Skyhook in the 2nd half of the year?

Another possibility is that the launch of TSW3 is closer than we realize.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Texanator1987

Texanator1987 Member

I'd settle for just the Pendolino and then adding it to Bakerloo and Cathcart as AI for starters.

• Like Like x 5
  47. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Honestly they have their hands quite full with fixes as well, like the PlayStation DLC limit fix and stuff like that. So as long as they get importsnt fixes done, I don't mind the absence of any "new big thing".

As for TSW3, please just no. We don't need a TSW3 and neither do they. They still couldn't fix the issues with the old routes that TSW2 introduced. No need to break even more things, and no need for another pointless title.

• Like Like x 5
  48. solicitr

Since there are only two coaches modeled, and the other one is 1st class only, that will make for some weird consists.

49. solicitr

And we the players have nobody to blame but ourselves. Because DTG found that any time a forecast slipped, even a little bit, the howling and whining would shatter the heavens. So they learned not to make any schedule predictions at all.

• Like Like x 4
  50. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Same with me. But the upcoming Harlem Line looks interesting if DTG sees our suggestions and consider adding a few in. Looking forward to that. Likewise, some of my favorite routes have been pushed down as well.

About Peninsula Corridor...
    That route has been overflowed with bugs, from graphics bugs to stuttering (Even on next gen consoles and PC), to sound bugs like breaking the sounds for the entire game. I have noticed the latter way too often, it makes the route "unplayable" for me and it makes me have to restart TSW 2 every time.

Don't get me wrong, Peninsula Corridor is still an amazing route, it still holds up as one of the best American routes to release and one of the longest routes released for it's time (roughly 47-50 miles, 2019). The details and the completeness in the route is what made it special. It was and might still be the only American route and one of the few routes in TSW 2 to have largely been completed in terms of rolling stock and in general in the game as compared to real life.
    But a lack of updates and support over the years, have severely taken a toll on the route. Similarly to LIRR, however LIRR has seen work by the preservation crew that has made it better in a sense, but it still has a long way to go just like Peninsula Corridor. I love the route, but playing it in 2022 (for me) is not nearly as fun as playing in when it released back in 2019. So it makes sense for the route to be pushed back, for it's own good as it needs more time.

As for roadmap updates, switching to a monthly schedule is fine by me. But those streams were and still are vital ways for us to connect with the development team about concerns, comments, questions and more. So I think keeping a system like that in play should be thought about, just as many have said above. It should be taken into consideration.

• Like Like x 3