Road Map Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 11/01/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

That might have something to do with the infamous "if it's not on the roadmap, we are not working on it" reminder.

• Like Like x 7
  2. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct.

But in the stuff we are talking about here, the situation is different. We know from Maik that he is working on the 232 and that it will take time.

And with Scenario Planner 2.0, we heard from Matt yesterday that it will not disappear, but only be postponed. And since we didn't have a release date before, nothing has actually changed for us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein Main would be perfect, if a long high speed line would be no problem to make

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Horses for courses. I have lost interest in ICE runs - nothing to do but punch the Sifa button while the computer drives the train.

• Like Like x 5
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Now traditional Rhine Valley would be nice, particularly set back in the pre ICE era and the only cab cars were probably the Silverfish locals. Otherwise everything nice and loco hauled from the front. (As you may gather I've developed a slight hate for the 766's).

• Like Like x 5
  6. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I did a poll a little while ago and I understand it isn't 100% representative but just a snapshot with the options of Electric, Diesel and steam asking what people wanted the most. I thought Steam would run away with it but actually Electric came out on top with Diesel a close second and steam nowhere really. I love steam but I'm not that fussed about driving one (unless it's Rocket type) but I was still surprised. If the Steam is good I'll have a look but Diesel is my goto.

Now I'm English and if I had said what you did about another nation I would be branded Racist. Funny how that works eh?

Watching last nights stream I thought Sam would make an excellent second-hand car salesman. I'm not that bothered with the dates of routes, or what is being made or where, what concerns me is the preserved routes updates. I won't touch the game untill the GWE gets it's updates, that is my route. Don't really care about anything else route wise for now anyway until it gets released.

Saying that, I feel the console players are suffering as well. AS for the Roadmap? It's just words on a forum, until something happens it is just that, words.

• Like Like x 6
  7. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Oakville is a preserved collection route so it was released for TSW2020 not TSW2.

I only meant since TSW2 was released I'm not denying it exists even though it is poorly executed.:D

8. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

He is making the refurbished ones but when did they start running on the line. Which was 1972 so it looks correct to me.

But they were produced until 97 so yeah it makes no sense.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The "05" could reference the period from which the design dates, even if production continued past 1990 and the units have been upgraded over time.

Although admittedly both the BR 363 and Class 313, from the 50s and 70s respectively, are coded "L07."

But setting aside DTG's weird DLC codes, one can hardly blame Maik for doing an updated model for a route set in 2020. The 420s still running in Munich are actually former Stuttgart sets gutted and refurbished in 2014. I assume that's MG's model. https://web.archive.org/web/2019031...-wie-alte-zuege-aufgemoebelt-werden-1.2157901
    (NB: Properly these refurbs are now classed as BR 430s).

Indestructible old beasts: "[Leute] wurden die Baureihe auch "der heilige ET" genannt - eben weil er so unkaputtbar sei." Attributed to the solidity of the old-school design, and the fact that it's all electromechanical with no computers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dalekjimster#9505

dalekjimster#9505 New Member

Now theres a train I'd like to see that you displayed here the East Midlands Trains class 222?

11. dalekjimster#9505

dalekjimster#9505 New Member

And another good point I like to make, so far tho there are many railway lines with track or overhead electrification with a few different very modern up to date electric trains, but British trains lack variety of Electric Trains and so far have no electric locomotives from the era of British Rail or modern day, like the classes 73, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91 and 92's, or even the Woodhead line class 76 would be great to see in the long term. Whos withe me?

• Like Like x 5
  12. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Woodhead is another great candidate for a steam route combined with the cl.76 & 77.

• Like Like x 2
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

According to the 1957 passenger working timetable I have most passenger trains over the route were electric hauled or EMU's at the Manchester end. Loco's were changed at Sheffield. There was still some steam over the Penistone to Sheffield section. Not sure about freight but I imagine a lot of those would have gone over to electric haulage.

Whilst I would love to see the Woodhead route in TSW, I love driving it in TS1, I don't think it is the best route to show steam off for the first time.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

TBH, you shouldn't treat your customers like fools by removing the Ludmilla in the first place. Yes, we know it's not coming very soon, because TSG has said it will be the last loco of the three to be released.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I don't feel treated like a fool. How should they fool me on this?

• Like Like x 7
  16. BlaringHorn

I don't know, maybe you like being taken for a fool then?

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Me neither, maybe some feel "cheated" that something that was on the map before now isn't (for one round at least)?

• Like Like x 4
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

A bit over the top there I feel! I don't feel treated like a fool.

• Like Like x 8
  19. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

You know, instead of getting personal, you could just have explained in a constructive way, what exactly makes you feel like being fooled. Because it's interesting why you feel that way but I don't. But yeah, just go ahead and bash around. Thanks for nothing.

• Like Like x 6
  20. BlaringHorn

Well, if you guys are fine with it who am I to argue? If you want to argue semantics and whether "fool" was the right choice of word, go right ahead (you'll have to do it without me though). To me, the way they made this new roadmap just tells a lot about the way they view their customers. Removing a DLC entirely because it doesn't suit some convoluted reasoning that they made up in the first place. Maybe some more "decipherable" codes in the roadmap would help?

• Like Like x 1
  21. BlaringHorn

And your comment is any better how? But thanks for the psychoanalysis. I know I can be "snappish" at times, but maybe matinakbary should come up with a more worthwhile reply as well.

But for what it's worth, I agree I should have used more tact, so my apologies for that.

• Like Like x 5
  22. ARuscoe

Whilst agreeing that the roadmap should be clear on what it's trying to convey, you also have to remember that the information that DTG are trying to put out, and the information people are receiving can be two very different things.
    "We're working on this" can mean "we're working on it", "It's coming soon" or "Hey, we're chucking out another bug ridden mess made to dupe you out of your cash to complete the most expensive game on the planet" depending on your frame of mind (and we have all of those frames of mind on the forum)
    Add in world wide language differences and you have a whole mess of different meanings, inflections and "reading between the lines" which just ends up messy

Overall, I read the "removal" of several issues on the forum to mean "They're nowhere near close to release" or "we cant' talk about this right now". Neither of which are "treating us like fools" per se, but I can see how people could read it that way

• Like Like x 3
  23. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

Honestly, respect for your apology!! :) I would have expected anything but not that.

• Like Like x 3
  24. kelemenlk

kelemenlk Member

I was just wondering do you know if the code for the expansion pack can I do that on PlayStation 5 where can I do it on the store on the console settings

25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

So tired of this unadulterated crap, have used TSClassic for a decade, and focusing mostly on steam, the representation is very immersive, especially on the advanced locomotives. It gets busy at times, but certainly doable maintain fire level, water levels, making sure steam production is adequate for usage, learning to swap speed for pressure and vice versa, much more immersive, and for me fun, than just pushing go and stop which is what it feels like on modern EMUs and DMUs.

To maintain fire level, you open the firebox and then add coal is added at a controllable rate, which you can adjust, but you do not have to constantly shovel as in real life, watching the sight glass for water is an occasional glance and when low open a valve for the steam injector and then the feed water valve… watch the level by glancing occasionally then secure. Leaves plenty of time to watch the road ahead for signals and such. Adjusting the cut-off as speed and grade requires, knowing the route, planning when to fill the boiler which will reduce steam production to coincide when you can reduce steam demand.

So saying the implementation will be poor just because in RL it takes two tells me that comment is coming from someone who has never driven a steam engine in TS Classic or other simulation.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  26. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Woodhead was pretty much all electric operation as soon as the first electric trains ran, once the electric tunnel was complete the other two tunnels which could actually run steam locos were effectively decommissioned. The new main tunnel didn't have any ventilation so steam couldn't operate through it. There was a little bit of steam freight traffic which continued on either side of the Pennines but all Transpennine stuff was handled exclusively by electrics. Indeed steam survived in a few of the Yorkshire side collieries into the mid 70s but thats another matter entirely. The perception of the route having steam and electrics is probably down to something of a mistake of the original Woodhead pack which portrayed steam running at the same point as electrics which didn't really happen. Woodhead is a somewhat unique case in that it went from entirely steam operation to entirely electric operation almost overnight.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  27. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I see potential in this:

So dtg could sell the dlc as woodhead right after the electrification with the cl.76 &77.

For a steam gameplay dlc they could sell a separate timetable with small changes like overhead wire removal & tunnel under construction before the electrification took over.

28. ARuscoe

I've driven steam in TS, didn't like it. Not particularly a fan of steam generally so really not bothered about it, or it's implementation.
    Same for the LUL lines for me. The only reason I have Bakerloo is because I don't have a choice not to

• Like Like x 1
  29. LeadCatcher

And that is perfectly fine not to like steam and I applaud the diversity that is in TS Classic and is increasing in TSW2. Hopefully most can find something they like in all that is offered, no one is expected to embrace it all.

Steam is definitely not for every one, but to say it will be implemented poorly because in RL it takes two is not factual as to the original post I was responding.

best

• Like Like x 5
  30. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I personally feel DTG should move towards a quarterly roadmap update. This way we’d see what’s in the pipeline for the upcoming year but with each quarterly update, we’ll see what’s coming out before the next quarter.

In between the roadmap updates we’ll get a monthly roundup in the form of an article which lets us know more about what’s coming soon as well as anything else noteworthy.

Basically, the further out the release is, we’ll not get as much information, the closer we get, more details will be announced.

I’m just not a fan of the fortnightly update, it’s too frequent with very little change (not always).

• Like Like x 1
  31. dhekelian

I actually love steam mainly the older engines but I do like them I just think I will be crap at driving them but if it is not as difficult as I imagine I'll give it a go otherwise Diesel for me, I do get you were answering that other message. Do you think Steam might be compatible with the RailDriver? I know it won't be 100% realistic but might help people who have a few issues no? (me included)

I actually think the Roadmap could be more 'fluid'? I think they have said they won't announce new releases on the Roadmap, correct me if I'm wrong. For me though I'm only really interested in the fixes and updates. Where there are periods of lots of fixes and updates, especially outstanding ones or ones ready to be released there could be weekly Roadmaps but when nothing much is outstanding, minor bugs etc then their could be two, three or even a monthly one no?

32. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Dtg do enough work in 2 weeks that they can release a roadmap that often

33. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree! It's a bit like saying you can't fly a 747 in Flight Simulator as the real thing takes a crew of two (three depending on the aircraft type) to fly. That's why some things are simplified, like having your ATC frequencies autotuned or inputting an approach to the FMS sets up the correct ILS frequency. That's also why we have a pause button, so you can sit back and take stock for a minute (albeit TSW pause function takes you to a separate screen than the gameplay view),

• Like Like x 4
  34. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

World map at DTG offices. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  35. ARuscoe

You left in Northern Ireland and missed out the sliver of Canada and tiny bit of France...

• Like Like x 3
  36. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, let's be fair, now. DTG also produces Train Simulator which has published routes and locos from China, Japan and South Africa to name just three additional countries.

( I didn't include the upcoming Icelandic route, which is still in planning as far as I know. )

• Like Like x 3
  37. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Although I do like the sound of having steam in tsw 2 I have to agree with you there, multilayer would be needed to get the full steam experience.

38. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

That’s obvious given we’ve had a roadmap every two weeks for over a year.. You’ve forgot that I was stating my personal preference as to how often I’d like to see a roadmap update.

39. dhekelian

When you take the word 'World' from TSW2 do they mean 'world' as in the entire planet or 'World' as in the sense of 'Train driving'. If DTG meant driving a train in a 'Railway' sense then they get a pass but if they meant 'World' as in accommodating all the countries then DTG should think on a new title.

40. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I believe “world” refers to the immersive element of the game. You can just roam around as if you were there.

• Like Like x 5
  41. dhekelian

I thought the same tbh.

42. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

In that sense I guess you have a point but that’s why the American Revolution happened we wanted to be different and besides trains the military is really our specialties

• Like Like x 1
  43. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Inaccurate. Northern Ireland and Wales are on that map and so far DTG have neglected both.

• Like Like x 1
  44. LeadCatcher

I use the Cobra software in TSClassic and yes, steam maps quite nicely to the Raildriver, uses the reverser lever for the cut-off and the throttle, well for the throttle :). With the cobra software you can map the different functions yourself to the buttons so pretty easy to develop a scheme fir injectors and stuff, but I usually just use the regular Keyboard and don’t bother. That being said, the Raildriver does make a the cut-off and throttle a bi more immersive.[/]

• Like Like x 1
  45. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

So just skip every second roadmap and you'll get to see only one a month. Meanwhile, those of us who do enjoy them every fortnight will get to see. Everyone's happy! :)

• Like Like x 5
  46. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

There's nothing immersive about Train Sim World.

47. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

what’s the 2000’s us route going to be?

48. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

An example from the Dovetail article, sorry to disappoint you.

"Rather than listing ongoing and upcoming projects according to their status, we will now break them up into the type of project it is. The order these projects are listed within their category is an indication of the order they’ll be released. Naturally, this order can change over time but we’ll be clear when this has happened, offering an explanation when possible. We’ll also list out projects that are still lacking final details or scope; if we know we’re making a US route set in the early 2000s we’ll add it to the Roadmap, but may well keep the identity of that route vague until it has been announced more fully."

49. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

You clearly didn’t read my post did you.

50. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Of course I did. The periodicity you advocate for is quarterly, with monthly article updates. My point stands - just skip reading every other one and you will get your 'monthly' update. Everyone's a winner. :)

• Like Like x 3