Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 22/02/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 22, 2022.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

17_Header_1920x1080-min.jpg
    Read the article here.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

A customization option added to the menu? Good job! Please have more options like this in the future.

• Like Like x 16
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Sparingly. I like this gentle silencing. Core improvements are what I like to see.

• Like Like x 3
  4. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

It's quite a relief that at least the road map article mention something about Horseshoe Curve is in a good progress. My concern that Horseshoe Curve being the next 313 case is disappear. Thanks anyway

• Like Like x 1
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Curious to see how the billboards work out. I wouldn't mind some realistic billboards, but I hope DTG doesn't make the same mistake as the guys for Farming Simulator did, which added a Dutch ad on a French map...

In such a case, good to see the dynamic billboards can be turned off. :P

• Like Like x 4
  6. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Good morning, I liked the introduction of the Roadmap, this format with more details than what is to come excited me more, I still think the current format is very superficial, as in the Preservation Crew topic, but I believe that if you do as you did today, with a good introduction regarding what is being worked on, you are on the right track. I can't wait to get PIS on Rapid Transit for Talents, and the fixes I've been complaining about so much for the London Commuter (of sounds, Fast Lane, among others) Dresden (still and locked trains) and also the M7 LIRR which still has no sound..

• Like Like x 2
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Dynamic billboards are nice, a step towards more route realism, I just hope they don’t end up like the pres crew updates, another case of DTG have the time now, but not later to add them to routes.

The newer PS5 fix sounds like a much better implementation, but how much longer are we going to have to wait?, it is really affecting my interest in TSW at this point. I appreciate the work but I simply cannot buy add-ons, I barely got away with the enhancement pack.

More talk about the pres crew updates, yet no talk about actually releasing the apparent backlog of them ready to go, can we please get these released if they are ready.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I'll repeat my question from last time, since it hasn't been answered and there is still no new German project DTG works on:
    I was wondering how the shortcomings on Tharandter Rampe will be addressed and fixed (to name a few, level crossings, ECS moves at Freiberg, the S-Bahn train parked at Freiberg,...). Will the route receive an update after a month or so like it was done on Dresden - Riesa, or will these major issues need to wait for Adams crew to tackle them?
    Since DTG is not working on a new German route or loco at the moment (since, as you say, there is nothing on the roadmap, so you are not working on anything related to German content), I wonder if these resources could be used to make these changes in due time now, as the route should not have been released on this state in the first place.

• Like Like x 14
  9. Cramnor

I remember something about the first update releasing before the next roadmap, and yet here we are, with the next roadmap, but no updates released.

• Like Like x 10
  10. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Think I will give tonight’s stream a miss as can’t believe it will be very informative given absolutely nothing has happened since the last one. Think I will scream if I have to hear Adam tell us about all the good work his team have done that we are yet still to see.

• Like Like x 14
  11. Cramnor

What will the dynamic billboards be? Actual companies paying DTG for advertisement in TSW? Or just a selection of made up ads that cycle through? :o

• Like Like x 3
  12. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

You forgot the fact dtg doesnt seem to care about the nice snow effects on the platforms anymore ;).

Make a comparison to riesa-dresden to dresden-chemniz. Platform snow is gone.

• Like Like x 4
  13. lovetrains 3628

lovetrains 3628 Active Member

there was a update for sand pacth this might what there refring too

14. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

The update was solely for the tutorial based on what the previous update notes say. No mention whatsoever as to pres crew updates. Perhaps it was implemented when they added the new journeys but didn't tell anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight: it's nearly the end of February, still no preservation crew updates. We still have missing level crossings on Dresden-Chemnitz, and some other bugs which you haven't addressed. And a roadmap update which is essentially the same as the previous one.

• Like Like x 21
  16. annadess

annadess Member

Do dynamic billboards mean also there might be personalized data, telemetry or anonymous gameplay/viewership statistics be sent to third parties involved in these sponsorships? In simple terms, will the advertisers just get the information that "x amount of people have seen y billboard" or are you going to send them more detailed data that mean they might be able to infer things like gaming and spending habits from players?

Edit: I hope this doesn't come off as hostile, I don't mean to. I'm just curious but cautious because of the general trends of the online advertising industry and their data collection practices.

• Like Like x 17
  17. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

Why don't they just tell us when they're EXPECTING to release them, rather than send Natalie to deliver the usual excuses, followed by her usual little snigger. It's not funny, its a business.

• Like Like x 4
  18. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

You will receive an updated privacy policy once the billboards are implemented.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to today's roadmap, especially the dynamic billboards has me peaked.

20. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I wonder how the dynamic billboards will work... I remember Burnout Paradise had a system where companies could buy advertising space on the in-game billboards. Burger King advertised in the game as well as in Burnout Dominator. Diesel (not the fossil fuel) had an advertising van, as did Gillette. Even Obama's presidential campaign had a billboard in Burnout Paradise.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Are those static wagons on Great Western Express gen 9 exclusive? DTG Natster

22. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

So this means that DTG wants to use this as a new source of revenue and "present" advertising to the player?

• Like Like x 4
  23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Hey, if that means they have more budget to make better routes without us paying more, that's cool. Advertising proves to be useful in internet and television, apparently genering enough revenue that some companies can offer us services for free. So I don't see why it can't be implemented in games. Especially when it's implemented throughout virtual billboards. Hopefully realistic ads not to break immersion.

As the game will also offer an option to disable the feature, I don't see a problem. It's a potential win-win situation when done well.

• Like Like x 13
  24. Cramnor

As long as disabling actually disables it... Whatever the new privacy policy means in the end...

• Like Like x 5
  25. schorni

What things would those be in TSW that are for free?

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm a fan of in game advertising via billboards and if there's an option to switch off then I will be hitting it immediately. It's bad enough that YouTube and the tablet games are full of advertising these days without polluting a train sim. And how will this work on yesteryear classic routes or indeed Spirit Of Steam, an era in which it was still possible to see adverts for booze and tobacco products on billboards?

Hope I'm not alone in thinking the developer time spent on this should have put towards improving the core game, whether sounds, the dire night lighting or the broken save game.

• Like Like x 18
  27. schorni

The past has shown that generating money at DTG takes precedence over quality. I don't see any improvement there at the moment.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Is this going to be specific ads that have been vetted by DTG, or will it be like every other web page these days that show you adverts for something you googled six months ago?

Something that I will be turning off as soon as its released. No doubt QA time will suddenly be found for this, but not the updates we were promised 9 months ago!

• Like Like x 10
  29. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Dynamic Billboards... Why? I’d rather you put more time into something like dynamic weather, Billboards are probably one of the least important things in the game, they aren't immersion breaking as they are in-game. Quite disappointing in my opinion.

• Like Like x 17
  30. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Does this mean on NTP we will see adverts for the new Austin Maestro?! ;)

• Like Like x 6
  31. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes me too

• Like Like x 4
  32. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Ooooh liking this Roadmap. The dynamic billboard is a good touch and nice to see Acton Yard looking a lot busier with static wagons.

33. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Still nothing about the Xbox sound bug and a showcase about preservation crew stuff we never get...

• Like Like x 4
  34. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Since the option is a toggle, will we be able to not participate if we deactivate them?

Or it's a case of: update is out and by starting TSW you allows us to do whatever it is the new policy will state, wether you activate the billboards or not.

• Like Like x 2
  35. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Sounds stupid but this has to be the most exciting roadmap I've seen just because of the dynamic billboards. I like how the attention to small details like these are being added. Now I go read the rest of the roadmap as I stopped reading at Dynamic Billboards :D

• Like Like x 1
  36. meridian#2659

I have to agree on that. Seems dtg has a ton of work to improve the routes elsewhere (platform snow, weather, night lighting....), but ressources are used to create a feature which is in my opinion the least important of all.

I use enhancement mods, which gives the routes a nice touch anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the dynamic billboards. The concept of real life adverts being shown on in-game scenery billboards always interested me. I mean it's realistic, and can also offer some additional income for the developers, so in my eyes it's a win-win.

At least I suppose it's real life companies paying for the adverts, right? If so, that's great! I hope it will be a fun and useful feature, not a buggy and annoying one, lol. My only concern is if the adverts will be realistic or not based on location, I mean as others have said, it would be quite weird to see german adverts on an american route or something like that.

The populated yard on the Great Western Express also looks really great! And looking forward for the first article about the Harlem Line.

• Like Like x 3
  38. meridian#2659

The difference of the static stock compared to the empty yards all over before is like day and night. Makes the experience a lot better.

• Like Like x 1
  39. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Creators Club, Dynamic Billboards not the priorities I want to see. No wonder bugs that make certain routes unplayable and other bugs that have been present for months and months should be the priorities.

I don’t care what excuses DTG come up with the current situation is not acceptable. Red lights still spoiling the game on a number of routes, preservation crew work completed months ago still not released. Latest excuse being the actual releases passing Sony’s testing but funny how there appeared to be no such issues to release the Expansion Pack.

• Like Like x 11
  40. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

Can anyone remember in the last roadmap stream when Matt essentially said, "we'll put everything on the pres crew list through testing and send it out first, then concentrate on new stuff", so my question is was this the full, frank truth?

• Like Like x 5
  41. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The route art team wouldn't be working on sounds, core aspects, night lighting, savegames.
    The route art team wouldn't be working on weather
    The route art team wouldn't be working on updates to core or route aspects.
    Good for you. Only applies to up to 34% of users (consoles make up 2/3 of players)

Overall I think the dynamic billboards (whether real or mocked) would be a good thing, and we see a fair amount of people on the PC section at least calling for more real posters and maps etc so this would bring that about.
    And again, the ART team wouldn't be working on a core system, bug fix etc, so even though there would have been an amount of core dev time to make the replacement work, the bulk of this would not have taken time away from route issue fixes, bug fixes, weather enhancements etc etc

• Like Like x 6
  42. tcmikaelsouza

I agree with the colleague here, as we have no German routes in sight, I believe it is a good time for the team to work on the last German routes (Two from Dresden), as there is a significant crash on these routes in the vicinity of Dresden, as well as trains stuck, that don't move, that prevent you from completing various scenarios, something needs to be adjusted and corrected, and it's even past time.

43. ARuscoe

Everything Matt says is a full frank aspiration.
    Unfortunately he's not the person who controls testing, releases etc etc
    ie take everything said up until release day with a big pinch of salt... in fact just throw the whole pot of salt over your shoulder

• Like Like x 1
  44. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I don't mind having in game real world advertisements that fit to the period of time the route is set into. I would mind if DTG would start collecting data and personalize advertisements. I don't like other people try to guess on what may interest me without discussing it with me. Nothing good will come from that. I also do not want to discuss my preferences for products with any commercial party on this planet.

• Like Like x 4
  45. ARuscoe

There's no (relevant) UK routes on the roadmap either... I'd imagine the devs are working on things not firm enough to go on the roadmap rather than sitting there twiddling their thumbs

• Like Like x 1
  46. tcmikaelsouza

In addition to the spirit of steam, I think the same for some UK lines that need attention, London Commuter has some problems that need to be fixed too, but besides it, I don't remember another that needs as much attention as Dresden for example that for It is almost impossible for me to complete a route for the reasons explained above.

47. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Does it really make sense to do further work on the previous routes if it's not getting released in the next years anyway? I mean it looks good, like flowers you picked from a meadow, and showcasing it has the same effect for the playerbase as showcasing the flowers...

• Like Like x 2
  48. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That's the point at which the game gets uninstalled and perma-deleted from my Steam account. AKA they can stick TSW2 where the sun don't shine,
    If anyone from DTG is reading this thread, I would suggest a massive rethink of this "development" is needed. For starters, it needs to be opt in not opt out. This could backfire massively and alienate a large selection of the player base, certainly I won't be spending a penny on any more DLC until I see what the impact is going to be. And that goes for Spirit Of Steam too.

ISTR Kuju/EA (who are probably still there is some measure behind the scenes at DTG) proposed something similar for the original Rail Simulator or maybe when it morphed into Railworks and the concept was abandoned. I'm assuming there are no plans to drop a similar scheme into TS?

In response to the snarkier comments, it matters not that the team who implemented this might not be able to work on core updates (and for all we know they might, there's such a thing as multi tasking), it shows where Dovetail seem to lay their priorities.

• Like Like x 5
  49. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Bringing older routes into line with (or at least close to) the current experience is always something that should happen, technically most the routes in the game should be enhanced to a certain extent by now, if it wasn’t for an (apparent) QA backlog.

For me and many others, TSW isn’t about the next thing all the time, I like to enjoy the stuff that I have, and when I see older stuff being worked on, it gives me buyer confidence in future content.

• Like Like x 5
  50. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I like the update on the PS5 limit, the only other thing I want to know is when, for the preservation crew completed updates. I’m sure many of us would say no stream is really needed if that info was published.

• Like Like x 4