Train Sim World: Past, Present, Future

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Benjamin, Dec 21, 2022.

1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Completely understand this! The team were trying to get it over the line for Christmas, but we're still testing at this point so didn't want to release something that touched the whole game when we had everyone breaking for the holidays soon after (meaning that if there was a problem, it'd likely be an issue all the way through the festive period, and that didn't seem very 'jolly and bright').

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I have my hopes up majorily because there was no teaser about it in this article. Every single DLC in the works got one. Except the route and the BR 420, but we already had seen progress on that and it's currently not in active development anyway.

And my takeaway is that it might actually be the old NEC and they didn't want to face the complains about a re-release of old content.

But I am just clinging to any hope I can get to get the route and it's locos back. I am missing the Amtrak stock a lot in TSW 3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Ah, very well. It was worth a shot!

4. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

E
    Easier said than done. It took them 2 years total to do Spirit of steam, they’re better than me I would have cut it off after a few months !:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Physics is just one thing. Dtg still gotta release other upgrades to the steam locos.

6. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Oh i hate the argument "there is more x routes than x routes"

• Like Like x 4
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, a very childish argument. Chauvinism is alive and well in the forums.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  8. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure its basically equal anyway? They literally release in a cycle, for DTG routes anyway, UK > Germany > US > UK > Germany > US. Every once and a while a curve ball with another country.

Since I have time here is a grand total. I am including DTG and third party routes from TSW1-3 (only including ones that work on TSW3 so not NEC):

Germany: 12 routes
    UK: 14 routes
    US: 10 routes
    Canada: 1 route
    Switzerland: 2 routes
    France: 1 route
    Other (Christmas living room): 1 route

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Wait until third parties come in such as JT and Union Workshop along with the other rest of the third parties. Can't wait for that to haaaaaaapeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Like Like x 5
  10. Crosstie

Of course, quality trumps quantity in my book, so you could add some weight to those numbers ( Not, as we've said, that it matters ).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Merry Christmas to DTG, thanks for bringing so much train into my freetime ;-)
    Seems 2023 will get expensive again

• Like Like x 7
  12. mikec1701d

mikec1701d Active Member

Bit late to the party here, but I reckon the ScotRail route will be Edinburgh to Glasgow.

In the teaser video you could see a station platform with blurred buildings and a lift platform in focus. Using my Geoguessr skills I’ve narrowed it down to probably being Linlithgow station - the lift in the video matches up to the one in pics and the blurred buildings could be a match too as Linlithgow does have station buildings.

I do hope that if it is Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow route that there’s some Inter7City HST services to play.

Edit. Did some more Geoguessr. I think the pic with the ScotRail units is a depot in/near Glasgow. I’m talking maybe 70% sure here.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I’d be very excited if it was

14. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Hyped for the Acela Express tbh!

• Like Like x 3
  15. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Yes because I think the new us route will use it as well

• Like Like x 2
  16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Impressive skills, I don’t believe anyone was able to at least narrow down the location of the Class 385 depot picture until now!

Can you perhaps also use your GeoGuessr skills to narrow down the locations of the Amtrak Acela Boston and BR 628 Niddertalbahn screenshots? The steam loco viaduct on West Cornwall Local has already been found, I believe :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. 2martens

2martens Well-Known Member

It's great to see semaphores. But I personally prefer the current age. There are so many great modern tractions that are still not available. I can only hope that even more 3rd party comes along to fill the roster of German modern traction.

High up on my list: LINT, German FLIRT, Twindexx (DoSto without loco), KISS, ICE 4, ICE T, BR 641, BR 642 (Desiro Classic), BR 644 (TALENT 1)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I don't know what germany is like per sey, but even in the UK you can have ultra modern trains running on routes still controlled by semaphore signalling systems.
    I think it's just hinting that this german route isn't an high tec modernised one?

19. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That is true. However, the route will likely be set in the 1990s due to the mint green livery on the BR 628 - which is a great thing because all previous German TSW DLCs have been set in the 2000s.
    Honestly have no idea why the user you replied to is wishing for even more modern stuff instead of finally discovering the past after the dozen routes and locos set in present day we already have, this is the first time I’ve ever seen someone behave like that ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, the release of BRO with the 110 and n-Wagen was a nod to history.

21. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That was a great step in the right direction. But it was still set in the late 2000s and kinda felt like a present-day route with all the modern rolling stock layers, PIS screens and so on. I’m sure people are excited for finally getting a true vintage route with the Niddertalbahn.

• Like Like x 2
  22. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

You missed all the broken promises, and the way you failed to get the TSW2 pack out before the holidays.

23. 2martens

Well, because I don't want the vintage routes. In my opinion they can come once all the common present day rolling stock has been implemented. There are indeed beautiful routes with old signalling and I would like to see them in the current age with modern rolling stock that runs on them.

I didn't buy the vintage routes in UK because I simply don't like that stuff. Unwieldy locos and mostly diesel. Modern Switzerland has nice areas where they still use locos and coupling/uncoupling at stations (IC to/from Singen, for example).

Modern routes give me the ability to see close-up how the tracks on these routes are laid, things you usually do not see from a passenger view. Plus, I can visit them and experience them in real life.

• Like Like x 3
  24. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

You just prefer modern. But your arguments are wrong. The perception of routes, both modern and historical, have the same perception and evaluation indicators. The route is either good or not very good regardless of the historical period.
    I will not convince you, everyone has the right to choose what he likes best.
    Personally, I like the past more, there is more complex functionality and an understanding of all physical processes is required. Everything modern strives for simplification. Forward, backward, the traction force is greater, less, one movement of the lever and the automation realized everything independently, without human intervention.
    Antiquity is a little different, more complex and exciting. You must know the car and feel its behavior, and implement all the controls with your hands.
    I really miss historical locomotives, old railway brands. I'm crazy about the diversity of the 1970-2010 era.

• Like Like x 4
  25. rennekton#1349

You know there's probably thousands of modern rolling stock, meaning we might never see the vintage stock based on your argument. We get 1 or if we're lucky, 2 new trains per dlc and loco dlc every once in a while. At that rate, it's going to be a while to get every single common modern rolling stock. Not everyone playing the game are players who only want the shiny new stuff. There are people who grew up with steam trains, diesel trains, vintage diesels and electrics so there should be variety to make them happy.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for more vintage US stuff, hope the poor sales of Clinchfield didn't ruin any of those chances.....

• Like Like x 4
  27. 2martens

Yeah, which is why I hope for more 3rd party developers so we get a higher rate of new locos. Especially in Germany we didn't see a whole lot of really new locos in a while. A bunch of them (TALENT 2, BR 143, DoStos, BR 185, BR 423, BR 425) have been used as one of the route locos multiple times with some variations (mostly livery changes and other cosmetic stuff). I believe that DTG has redone every loco that was already in TSW 1 over the course of the TSW 2 routes. So I'm hoping we actually see more new German locos instead of a new livery of the already available stuff. Indeed, I don't want to see yet another route with TALENT 2 and DoStos (with either BR 112, BR 143, BR 182 or BR 146).

To your point of thousands of modern rolling stock: I mentioned my list of preferred stock which is considerably smaller. There is a core of train developers out there (Alstom, Bombardier, Siemens, Stadler) and their current product lines (Stadler FLIRT, Alstom LINT, Bombardier TALENT (2), Siemens Desiro HC, Bombardier Twindexx, Stadler KISS). A Swiss FLIRT is already available from Rivet Games. It could be extended with German safety systems and then we could have a cross-border route.

I'm waiting for years that finally a train simulator game implements these modern DMUs/EMUs with simulation depth as TSW does it sufficiently.

• Like Like x 1
  28. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

It's funny you should mention that. I was, and still am, interested in buying Clinchfield. When I heard about some of its issues, I decided to hold off. I can't even remember what some of these were; an issue with tunnel lighting, I think? And broken banking comms. Although some have surely (probably?) been fixed, I recall recently reading that banking comms are still broken. In any case, it would really be questionable if DTG decided not to do any more vintage US routes because one broken DLC they released in 2021 didn't sell well, one that is apparently still not completely fixed, at that. I might also wonder why they did not choose a route that perhaps had more cachet in the first place. At least the CJP F7 was released, so we might surmise that US vintage content hasn't been dumped completely.

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Clinchfield is an excellent route. It is imperfect- I posted a lengthy ticklist - but most of the ticks are pretty trivial. The banking comms matter is not really such a big deal since only a couple of services use locos at the back: for the rest it doesn't matter.

In particular, the Journey chapters, each one going phase by phase through the daily "turn" along each of the coal spurs, is worth the price of admission- especially given how gorgeous the setting is, still the best-looking route in TSW. And "Limited Power" is hands-down the finest scenario DTG have yet put out.

In my mind, a much bigger issues than the banking comms is the pitch-black nights, combined with typically anemic TSW headlights. But that isn't enough to negate a strong "buy" recommendation.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but alot of us didn't really like the ATSF F7, it was a poor execution. Clinchfield had so much more potential than what DTG gave it. It could of easily supported 3 loco DLCs (GP7, SW7, and SD45-2 or U36C) not to mention they would of allowed DTG to make more period stock, which could of easily been used on a later 70'ish route.

Part of me also wonders if the obscurity of the Clinchfield is another reason for its demise, its not a well known railroad compared to something like the ATSF or PRR. They didn't have a striking livery, or a very iconic loco that is associated with their railroad. Their route isnt a well known location like HSC, Tehachapi or the NEC. They were just a small Coal Railroad in the east.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well, I do agree that the timetable and the journey chapters are good, but I wouldn't call it the best-looking routes. Mostly it's fine, but there are sections where the scenery is really bad, completely missing grass and just repeating ground textures.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Crosstie

You know, I think of Clinchfield in the same way as I think about several other US routes- OSD, BPE, HAR and SFJ. They are all unfinished in a number of ways and do not fulfill their potential. Still, they are all worth playing, imperfect as they may be.

I agree that " Limited Power " is the best scenario in the game. Whoever wrote it deserved a hefty raise for going the extra mile, as I said at the time.

I have worn out this broken record, but I will always hold up SPG as the paradigm for a US freight route, yet to be equalled, though Cajon Pass comes in as a close second, despite its scenic flaws and poor signal visibility.

If DTG and it partners could spend the time, skill and effort to make future routes to this standard, it would be a Happy New Year indeed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  33. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

34. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

Saw that. Train looks amazing. I have a feeling that’s the tracks at Edinburgh Waverley just before you head into Haymarket possibly.

35. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yes it is the western side of Waverley.

• Like Like x 1
  36. london#6712

london#6712 Active Member

just a quick off topic question, is the roadmap coming out this week. just wondering because its usually between the 5th-8th, but I have not seen anything about a road map live stream.

• Like Like x 1
  37. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Can't remember where I saw it but its not this week I think its next or the week after

• Like Like x 1
  38. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

They’re just back from holiday today so it’ll be next week or the week after

• Like Like x 3
  39. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the forum I met information about the road map on January 12th.

• Like Like x 2
  40. london#6712

london#6712 Active Member

Ok, thank you

41. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

I hope it will be a good present for my b-day!

• Like Like x 1
  42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Still no train track sound rumbling or clickity clack sound on the train even when is a new year meaning that the audio team really need to step up their A Game, it has been mostly requested for at least two year already WOW :|:(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  43. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

It’s still WIP so nothing is perfect yet

44. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

There is 'clickety-clack' sound however it is very faint as the camera is above the train and the joint is away from where we are and can't be seen. If you listen carefully after the train leaves the shot you can hear the last two bogies past over the join.

• Like Like x 1
  45. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Because some routes in the UK have continuous welded rail so there is no rail joint sounds.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  46. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

And the new year is relevant how?

• Like Like x 5
  47. Adamgrant3

Adamgrant3 Active Member

[​IMG]

I did notice some sort of Neo type lights on this train. are Dovetail experimenting with NEO type Lights that can be placed on the train. Hope this can come to Livery Designer

[​IMG]

I am also looking forward to driving the acela on TSW3. how ever I am also looking forward to doing a custom Livery for this

• Like Like x 2
  48. rennekton#1349

It is a rivet product, not a dtg one, so it is up to rivet to decide what happens.

49. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

This is a Rivet product, and it will probably not come to livery designer. You don't get to place stuff onto the train.

50. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member