Train Sim World Winter Survey

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Dec 19, 2022.

1. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Especially when running to the back of a 50 car train to uncouple the helper and then running back. Roadrunner speed is ok with me

• Like Like x 2
  2. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I have completed the survey too.

In my case I like all kind of trains ( passenger and freights - including shunting), and TSW has being offering all kind of them, even about the time they were created.
    Making a quick mental check, we have old, medium, and relative new trains and locomotives on the sim..
    But we do not have the latest models of trains!
    I believe the most modern one is the BR 187 from 2011 and Javelin + GE ES44C4 from 2009.
    Please correct me if I am missing some train newer.

But we are "almost" in 2023.
    So I believe the sim is missing some modern stuff!.
    Which I believe it deserves.

What do you think?

3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

No, I think that there are plenty of modern routes for people to fiddle with and I would like to see some more BR blue as there is only one true BR blue route (two if you count TVL) which considering how long this era lasted is just crazy!

Also 387s are 2015 I think and the 385s which we now know are coming are 2016 I think so Javelins aren't the newest British traction we have.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

People are saying BR blue doesnt sell, despite its huge cult following.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt#4801

Like I say in my post further up I don't think all of the stats are fair and there should have been some sort of question on era in this survey so that all the stats match up much more fairly as there does seem to be quite a large following on here for BR blue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

ACS-64 at about 2017 I think.

7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Well dtg can't really create a newer train or livery if the particular livery is not applied yet or the train doesn't actually run. Or the train is just old but still running well on the line. Can't always have the shiny new stuff lol. Like some people want the avelia instead of the acela but that is still in testing and not running on the line.

8. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Wait what? Is that actually confirmed or just the usual speculation after Rivet posted that teaser a while back?

9. matt#4801

Look at the latest article and you will see but in short yes.

10. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Yeah just seen it. Had to scroll for ages but eventually saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Any sort of evidence for this claim? It may well be quite popular on this forum and perhaps even amongst PC users in the UK but I rather suspect this is not the case amongst UK console owners which is two thirds of the market.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Not talking about Train sim users alone generally railway enthusiasts as a whole. Which is all a potential market.

13. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Its interesting that the BR Blue era had huge variety in rolling stock, but zero variety in livery. The modern era is pretty much the opposite! Unfortunately TSW quite likes the modern era for that reason as it is easier to paint a train than make a new one....but I really want the variety in traction.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Oh hell Yeah, kinda getting fed up with 66's how about class 60's etc etc

Hentis

15. antony.henley

Yeah Matt Mentioned it to me in a passing conversation a few months ago as well as mentioning on streams.

Hentis

16. grdaniel48

No, I was not referring about launch models not on the rails on service.
    But to have some models from around 2012 - 2018.

17. grdaniel48

Amtrak ones are from 2012-2016.
    But is the just the locomotive, the amfleet passenger wagons are much older.

I had that locomotive on TSW, but on TSW2 they eliminated that route, so I do no have anymore.

But I would like to have newer EMU, or DMU, single or double deck.

• Like Like x 1
  18. grdaniel48

Well ... 387 are newer, but looks similar to older models.
    I mean completely new models available in Europe.

19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Not really much to choose from in the US, yes you have the Siemens Chargers, but only a handful of route could use those (Amtrak California, Surfliner, Midwest, Cascades, some LD trains and Brightline). And not really any DMUs or EMUs outside of NYC without new licenses.

Amtrak did announce those new train sets from Siemens, but those will take a few years to be delivered.

20. grdaniel48

There are some already running.
    But we will need the corresponding route too.

So yes, you are right.
    But I was mostly thinking about European routes instead, on my post.

US freight diesel trains are OK.

21. matt#4801

Ok but the 385s are still a 'completely all new model' and are from 2016.

22. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

For Example / In memory of:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am afraid that both for multiplayer and a full editor people are not aware of what it would mean in practice. I do not believe in multiplayer for a game where your main task is to drive a train. There might be an option to play duo player, a guard or shunter and a driver but only for a limited amount of content.

For the full editor I think people do not understand how far more difficult it is to develop routes for TSW3 compared to TS Classic. Even there I have seen 95% of the announced attempts to fail. Personally I would be very happy with a scenario planner which has similar capabilities the scenario tool for TS Classic has. If w combine that with a livery editor which gives the player more control on how to use liveries (route specific, unique, whole consist in one livery and so on) we would have a great future. Railroads Online officially supports multiplayer, but even there you can see in what trouble you run in practice.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Completed the survey, just wanted to say the ranking questions (21 and 25) were quite clunky and awkward to use, I had a hard time trying to drag them where I wanted them

25. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Difficulty of development isn't an excuse for not releasing the editor. You're completely correct that TSW development is far more complex and involved than TSC development (I use the TSW editor on a regular basis), but it's not beyond people's ability to learn.

The editor should still be released in my opinion. Sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 3
  26. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Im sorry but this is just wrong. Just because a editor is difficult doesn't mean people can't learn how to use it. Look at some of the work modders have done for TSW 3 that at times outshines DTG's own work with no full editor. Just imagine what those same community members can do if they had their hands on a editor. Saying that it's difficult is not an excuse to not release it. Some could argue that using the TSC editor is difficult and requires a lot of time to get some things right yet it's there for people to use if they wish. Sure it may also only be PC only unless DTG were to find a way to add cities skylines style editor/toolkit which would allow console users to make maps or trains but even if it was PC only, that isn't a reason to not release it either.

The reason why TSC is still doing well today is because of the editor. If there was no editor in TSC, I think that game would not be thriving as it is today. Editors allow the community to do things that the devs wouldn't due or improve on things that were done poorly by the devs. *Cough* Train Simulator Class 700 *Cough* *Cough*.

Part of me believes that tsw has been held back due to no public editor. DTG has done some good things but the work is inconsistent. Not to mention they seem to be charging more for less and using as much recycled content as possible to offset the fact that a route only has one new train. There are some that crave BR Blue Era content but tsw doesn't have that many options in that regard. There are those that would like to see more route extensions due to most tsw routes not feeling complete. Heck in tsc we have seen some route extensions by community members. The Hudson Line was extended to Poughkeepsie and Albany. Recently in tsc, the southeastern network was released which added the full southeastern main line and some new southeastern metro services, both of which are free by the way and the list goes on and on

A public editor would allow this game to grow and would allow people to do what DTG wouldn't do and grow the game even more than it already is. Editors are why games such as OMSI 2 and TSC are still doing well. Even if it would be difficult to use, that shouldn't be a barrier to not release it.

• Like Like x 8
  27. antony.henley

So what about console users then?

28. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Consoles wont ever get editor because Unreal Editor 4 is a PC only application.

29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now that DTG have poked their own hornets nest by including ‘The Editor’ in the survey, they need to clarify how an editor would work if it was ever to come. The game isn’t only on PC, all third party routes are currently published by DTG, how would an editor even fit within the sphere of how TSW actually works? What would people be allowed to do with their creations? What freedoms would creators even have if anything that is distributed has to comply with licensing so as not to jeopardise DTG’s relationship with there licensed partners? We’ve had drips of reasons why it couldn’t come to the general public in the past, so how can it be discussed properly now it is back on the table in a vague way without a way of figuring out how it could even work? Too many questions.

• Like Like x 2
  30. rennekton#1349

But then there's creators club which probably has liveries that aren't licensed. Some may get noticed and taken off right away but wouldn't there be a bunch of stuff dtg don't have the licenses too. But yea, I would expect it to be a challenge to create an editor

31. antony.henley

Exactly and that's why DTG have said in the past that the editor wouldn't be released. Why they decided to include it in the survey YET again just to stir up the bad feeling that the community had about no editor.

Hentis

32. rennekton#1349

Or maybe dtg can figure out a way for content to be shared between platforms. Like a content manager or something. Don't really know games out there that do this or if it even exists in the first place. But a route editor would definitely be a plus for the pc community who want more stuff to play with

33. antony.henley

Its not just PC players unfortunately. It would be great if there was something along the lines of how they do Content mod for Farm Sim where PC players upload it to the Farm Sim server not only for PC but for Consoles. But not sure how much goes into it to make it happen to be honest.

Hentis

34. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I literally mentioned it in my post you quoted. Although I don't understand why things like multiplayer and the editor are in the survey in the first place when they said it won't be coming. Sure, demand for a editor may increase and multiplayer will probably be the most requested feature but if you tell your customers it's not happening because of licensing, then there is no reason to include it in a survey.

35. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

Done - suggested a handful of suggestions i made on the forum
    About the gameplay - made comments about draw distance and the issues with skw and sehs trains not loading in at highspeed it's really bad and it ruins immersion, the bcc's lighting and scenery as well - suggested the editor and graphical updates especially on console (gen 9), but on a positive note i've enjoyed the game a lot this year hopefully it's better in 2023

36. antony.henley

Sorry must have missed it. But yeah I agree with you on that point.... Shock Horror... lol

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The flying cameras are your friends there. Hit 3 twice, uncouple, hit 1

38. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Yeah I did that once on sand patch I took away from some of the realism though. It is handy for sure though

39. Wilfboy

Wilfboy Active Member

How many questions are in the survey? At the bottom of the screen it says how many you have answered out of 29 but my last question was number 26 and it said done after that. Am I missing something?

• Like Like x 1
  40. rennekton#1349

Probably a typo. As long as you answered every question, you will be fine

41. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

I agree with you Brandon the sooner DTG does make the editor available the better because it will allow other devs to learn the tools quicker and start making stuff for TSW

• Like Like x 3
  42. rennekton#1349

I don't think releasing an editor has anything to do with how quickly they learn. Sure, they may have access and therefore start learning stuff before they become an official dtg partner. But just cuz the editor is available to the public doesn't mean they're going to learn at a much faster rate compared to only getting an editor by joining through dtg. They still have to learn everything since tsc and tsw use completely different engines.

43. orb

orb Well-Known Member

There is a different set of questions on the page following a question about owning TSW3, i.e. asking you why you chose to not have it, are you planning to buy it, etc. I assume they aren't displayed for people who selected that they have TSW3.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. ollyweston350

ollyweston350 Active Member

I for one definitely want to see more steam, from mainline steam to shunting locos, heritage railways and the golden age. There are an absolute plethora of choices, the options are quite literally almost limitless

What I'd give to thunder down the mainline in a bullied Pacific or a heritage run as evening star and be able to properly warble the whistle rather then one monotonous tone. This is what frustrates me most is that DTG have in my opinion their fingers on one of the best train simulators to date and yet still keep kicking the player base with over promising and under delivering. I mean this with no disrespect to DTG but lately have found myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of fixes while pushing out new DLC. There are clearly those there with a real passion for railways like the rest of us so I'm sure the frustration is felt there as well but for me personally, it's beginning to impact my enjoyment of the game and making me look elsewhere. Which, with around 10 DLCs, all core routes and level 101, seems a total waste.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

end and results?

Would be interesting to know, otherwise a survey could run until the correct result came out.

46. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

I would rather pay 50 bucks for a qualitative appropriate and well designed route / trains every quarter than 20 for rushed out new content every 4 weeks just to satisfy the publisher and meeting deadlines for releases at all cost..

And for the love of god.. fix the terrible sound on Xbox !

• Like Like x 4
  47. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Couldn´t agree more. PLUS: Stop these desperate, amateurish fixing attempts by releasing "patches" that do more damage than they cure.
    Mind you, damaging [-]*MY*[/-] *YOUR* property, [-]not yours![/-] How ´bout running a right-first-time quality program? I have a feeling DTG is in desperate need of such.
    One step forward, two steps backwards ......... THIS has to stop!

EDIT for fact correction. But the rest stands as is.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I suggest you re-read the EULA, because I have some bad news for you.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  49. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yep, I had a feeling this would come up. And you´re right, it´s bad news. Looooots of rights, very few duties in these EULAs. And all too convenient for DTG.

OK, let me rephrase then: "... Mind you, damaging *YOUR* property, not mine! ..."
    Duuuuhhhh ....

upload_2023-1-6_11-54-45.png

50. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The publisher is DTG, so they're pushing out content to meet their own requirements rather than anyone else's