Train Simulator Classic – Core Update & Route Refresh

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Apr 13, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Core update, routes refresh, and new Deluxe Edition on the way to Train Simulator Classic this month!

We’re excited to announce that the first update to Train Simulator Classic is planned to arrive on 27th April! If you’ve been reading our developer updates, you’ll know that this is the start of a new journey for the simulation. As well as this free core update we will also be refreshing the routes included with Train Simulator Classic and adding a new Deluxe Edition. Giving all railfans an easy way to start or grow the virtual train collection of your dreams. Read on to find out more.

Read all about it in full and find our FAQ in the latest Train Simulator Classic Update Article!
    (Direct Link: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-simulator/articles/article/your-ultimate-railway-hobby-update-arriving-soon)

Core Update
    We have extensively reworked the core code to establish a foundation on which we can build a Train Simulator for the modern world. By removing parts of the code that aren't being used, and rewriting elements to bring it up to a modern standard, the core has never been more stable than it is today. Our ongoing mission is to further develop the core and improve the experience for everyone. You can read more about this work in our developer updates from the past months (Article 1, Article 2).

Routes Refresh
    [​IMG]

Alongside the update to Train Simulator Classic we are refreshing the routes included with the base simulation. For those joining the hobby for the first time, or anyone looking to add something new to their collection you will find three authentically created routes to buy in one package. Explore the picturesque countryside of Bavaria with Pegnitztalbahn, take on America’s busiest commuter with Long Island Rail Road, and face the challenging Pennines as you tour the Huddersfield Line.

Deluxe Edition
    [​IMG]

Celebrate 100 years of the most famous steam locomotive in the world with the new Deluxe Edition of Train Simulator Classic. Releasing at the same time this includes the above three routes (Pegnitztalbahn, Long Island Rail Road, Huddersfield Line), East Coast Main Line London – Peterborough, and the Flying Scotsman Centenary Pack. Rack up over 300 miles of famous main line steam running across 10 scenarios on the foot plate of Gresley’s almighty LNER A3 Pacific.

The Core update, routes refresh and Deluxe Edition will all launch on 27th April. We'll be covering more on this release next week and you can look forward to a feature on Railfan TV for launch.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 22
  2. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Very nice! Looking forward to it!

3. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Nice, I haven’t bought much for TSC recently other than the Humble Bundle, so I don’t have any of the routes in the refresh. I’ll probably be picking this up.

Also good to see that the core is getting updated. Very interested in the developments there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Is there a list of which routes are being refreshed or did I miss that in the article?

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the new update for TSC when it arrives.

6. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

I hope you have tested the updated game code well, otherwise there will be a huge storm of you-know-what))

• Like Like x 2
  7. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Can’t wait for this!

Can anyone flesh out what is meant by a route refresh, particularly Leeds - Manchester, please?

Or does it literally mean you’re changing the routes bundled with the game and nothing has actually changed within the route itself?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I think the latter.

9. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

so is the core update now running on visual studio 2022, cause from the article 2 you were at visual studio 2017.

10. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

And to answer smugstarlord#4202 as well:

We refresh the routes included with Train Simulator core each year. For this year that means Leipzig - Dresden, WCML South and Tehachapi Pass will be replaced by Pegnitztalbahn, Huddersfield and Long Island Rail Road. They are not new routes and the main content of each route remains unchanged.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Wow! Good news.

Quick question: As I plan to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 later this year - will this update require Windows 10?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2023
  12. 5cip

5cip Active Member

amazing news :)
    can we see some screenshots of the new core engine ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

That's a shame I thought some of the really dated routes (in terms of asset quality/track camber/errors) were being refreshed. It's a shame. Are there any plans to "refresh" or update any other existing routes like Brighton to London, MML south, GEML and London to Oxford to bring them into the modern era? Likewise once the core is more robust are we going to see any modern traction for the UK? Currently only the 700 and 801 were introduced in the last decade.

• Like Like x 2
  14. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I doubt it, the possibility of breaking user scenarios would bne very high.

15. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

All those routes are set when they are set - what you really want is either "updating the scenery" (not touching track) or an updated version (separate to the original that updates the track etc). You shouldn't really make any big changes to track on older routes (bugs aside- broken stuff (in my opinion) yes, updating complete stations to a new layout (London Bridge...) NO! - the latter would brake everything released for it.

(notes all of the above is personal opinion and not of DTG)

16. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Not initially with this update, no - but as we continue to develop, we'll likely have to amend the specs to align with Steam's policy of only supporting Windows 10 and above: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Wivenswold

atomicdanny Well a bit of both really. Yes to keeping current DLC set in the era they were originally set in but replacing some really old scenery assets so they look better. I didn't realise that super-elevation can't be retrofitted to routes.

I certainly think that some of the older Railworks/RSC/DTG DLC is of poor quality and deserve better quality versions. The Class 165/166 for example.

As for updated/extended versions of routes like the recent Kent Coast route, yes please. Just don't forget Essex please. We're waving frantically across the estuary at you while waiting for local content in TSC and TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Wouldn't call it a shame. Do you realize how big the TSC universe is? Remember, TSC is a developer's platform also - the best way to update old routes is via workshop. It can't be done without the community. I'm glad they revisited the routes mentioned.

I'm just happy to read this. When TSW3 arrived, people deemed TSC dead. Which is wrong. It's still the most versatile Train Simulation out there, and DTG take good care of their old horse :). A big Thank You DTG!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 15
  19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Wow. By the wording of the developer updates i didn’t expect the first step on the core-upgrade to arrive so soon.

I’m just happy that a future proofing of TSC is even taking place.

• Like Like x 10
  20. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

If I've understood correctly, this first update is more of a housekeeping exercise to tidy the historic code i.e. those that are expecting vastly improved graphics etc are going to be disappointed!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wivenswold

Yes. I should temper my expectations regarding DLC updates/replacements, it's a huge bonus that our beloved old Train Simulator is going to be more stable. I'm going to use this opportunity to build a fresh installation of the game, gradually rebuild my collection more slowly without some of the "seemed like a good idea at the time" downloads and purchases.

I wonder if there's an opportunity to insert the old UKTS packs into the core as the site is closing and they're essential for some freeware routes.

• Like Like x 2
  22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Rail-Sim.de has mirrored the UKTS freeware packs. I can't think of them being integrated into a commercial game considering legal issues (see Phorum Peninsula), and no need as they are not needed for any official DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kim Olesen

I am not expecting anything really. What i am happy about is that the dependencies are being updated, so that it’ll take many more years before TS wont run.

Anything beyond that is just a bonus that’ll make me even happier.

• Like Like x 2
  24. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

so i'm guessing this is phase 1 of this update stage and i think next year will be phase 2 with DX12 and multi core improvements features etc... it understandable cause Rome wasn't built in day.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I highly doubt the update will mean any visual upgrades. Currently they have only cleaned the code and rebuilt it in a newer Visual Studio version. Hopefully this really results in better stability and performance, but it will not bring any graphical improvements, at least for now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Dont know if you saw the article on steam but they will be dropping support for windows 7/8 next year just a heads up.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  27. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

What is there to see you dont actually see the core engine in the sim when you play it the core is what runs the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  28. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

After the update, and all goes well. (I hope)

Is there any chance of upgrading the DEM importer to support new (and better resolution) DEM formats? for example there is 1 meter DEM for nearly the Whole of the UK. And other places too. But TS does not read it unless its in hgt format. These Better DEM's are in GeoTIFF, and Esri Grid etc.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Michael Newbury

There is nothing on Steam saying that they will be dropping support for Windows 10 at this time. As Microsoft will continue support for Windows 10 until 2025.

• Like Like x 2
  30. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

I'm hoping for a small improvement in performance from the newer utilities, but even if there isn't any I'll be happy knowing the code is more maintainable.

After the release of TSW I never expected significant development of TSC, so I'm delighted this is happening. It's a reason to fill up with more DLC, knowing there's life left in TSC.

• Like Like x 8
  31. benhhng

benhhng Member

Will the NEC New York— Philadelphia refresh? The track map seems have some missing along the route, like the Penn Station missing the Empire Corridor Tunnel and the West End Yard. The Trenton Station missing the stair connect the platform to the footbridge. And there is an industrial line pass under the NEC also missing, will they added in the Route Refresh?

Also the size of the cars are also not very accurate, both AEM, Amfleet and Acela have it, the Amfleet even have deviation for 2 metres, the width are also other thing, will this update fix that?

Not only the Amtrak, the NJ transit, China Railway also have the problem above, please check it out. Thank you.

And the movement of doors on many routes are strange, on some part of platform, the doors cannot be opened. Like on NEC, NJ Transit, and London—Brighton Line. It may need to be refreshed.

Also, the acceleration and deceleration rate of the trains seems not so realistic, like the Talent 2 can be from 0kph to 100kph in few seconds( or vice versa), it also may need to refresh.

On the other hand, the depart signal, seems not so clear. Without the driving aid, I cannot
    know when I allowed to set off. In the MSTS, it will have a whistle blowing, or an “ Ok to proceed” to tell you to depart, even it is in Asia. In TSC, it does not appear. Will a clear depart signal add in this update?

Furthermore, the passengers, the movement of passengers may can be more realistic, some fellas complain that some passengers walk in circle most of the time.
    Also, the passengers seems do not have elderly and children, and all are Europeans. And also, the passengers are all in bare hands. The passengers in real world may have something carrying, right? This may need to refresh in this update.

Sorry for disturbing.

• Like Like x 1
  32. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Great news!
    It is so good to see DTG is bringing TSC into the future!

• Like Like x 1
  33. benhhng

benhhng Member

Also the wiper of Class 365 is not wiping the middle of windscreen. It may need to update. And the Miami Amtrak Station is too small, also may need to update, the size of Amfleet II, also it.

34. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just to confirm: the first core update will not include any visual improvements whatsoever and will not impact any content (routes, locos, scenarios, etc).

The update is entirely about improvements to the code to bring some much-needed stability to the software and enable us to build on and improve key areas down the line.

We'll be looking to implement improvements to stability for both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, a DX12 Experimental option (we'll need your feedback to help us decide how we move forward as we've seen varying reports relating to performance that we need a wider test group to give us more information on where it hurts/soothes the most), and some other bits and bobs designed to reduce crashes and provide better information to you and us on where we need to focus our efforts when things do go wrong. It is unlikely to provide any performance benefit at all at this stage as our work to-date has been about bringing order to the chaos.

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Bad wording on 390001's end, they will drop support for 7-8 so they adjust the minimum requirements to 10.
    So I assume the Steam Overlay will not function. I could see the benefit of an alternative overlay for old systems (for a myriad of reasons) but the big spiderweb of considerations may lead to "just no".

I was very afraid of a W10 upgrade as I was using an installation for 8 years, fortunately I had a laptop with W11 as a fallback.
    Turns out it was nothing to be afraid of. Everything is fine, TS needed to run once from Steam to install old runtimes, otherwise I'm using the same SSD.

The only stuff was that despite keeping the W8 disk in the PC, it didn't create a boot loader, and it's a bit of clicking to instruct UEFI to boot a different drive next time. So if you have stuff on your old OS you want to access regularly, you have to use your very existing skills to set it up :)

Overall I'd recommend trying out W10 like that, I assume you can't go for 11 due to requirements.

There is a very much obsolete setting (DTG JD) scenery density, I think it should default and stay at 100% with a hard warning if you move it. It made sense in 2007 when people ran their single core 1.7 GHz AthlonXP, but these days it's more about which routes you play (2010 or 2020) instead of filtering scenery per bush. There is still view distance, shadows, and a few other settings to fine tune.

• Like Like x 1
  36. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

what is the reason to keep the 32 bits even?
    any serious player of train games has moved to more powerful PC's capable of playing TSW by now?

• Like Like x 1
  37. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Sorry type my part I said windows 10 it is actually windows 7/8 they are dropping support for thanks all

• Like Like x 1
  38. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

There are / were some add-ons with weird things that don't work in x64, however do in x86. (New Haven to Springfield is one, if I recall correctly.)
    Since there clearly is a policy to never update / fix DLC, it's just easier to maintain x86 forever.
    At least none of that should be from the last 5 years, in fact the opposite, some DLC is so detailed it fails in x86.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

No

40. Michael Newbury

No worries typo's happen all the time even I am prone to typo's

41. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

I would be willing to Beta test, and give feedback. I also have Visual Studio 2019 and 2022, and The Debug tools, PysX tools and that kind of stuff, if thats of any use to you guys at DTG. I am interested in helping out in testing and firing some more suggestion your way. But why keep 32-bit? I also hope you guys have moved any .NET parts of the whole kazazz, to version 7 at least. (that would help people with loads of DLC installed, like myself and many others)

42. benhhng

benhhng Member

Is this any terms for the test?

43. Kim Olesen

They are only keeping 32bit for now. As per the developer updates, it will be dropped later.

• Like Like x 1
  44. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

This is great news!!
    I still play as much TSC for these 10 years and this even having bought tsw3!
    Personally I am on the vulkan api for TSC and the stability and the FPS is greatly improved.
    Maybe you should think about it more instead of DX12?
    See in addition or while waiting?
    Just add two small files to the TSC database

https://www.railsim-fr.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14186-programme-vulkan/

• Like Like x 1
  45. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Will the USA Deluxe Edition, Swiss Deluxe Edition, UK Deluxe Edition, German Deluxe Edition and Chinese Edition Bundles still be available for purchase after the update?

46. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

That is what I am asking. telling them what I know, and what I can use..

47. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

Good. I thought as much. the more "out of date" things removed from the equation, the better, and easier to maintain.

48. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

glad to see the game goes on. fundamental updates hardly can be noticable on gameplaying aspects only, but i think what's important is there are more to expect since the wheel is already rolling.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  49. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

With the recently discovered 64bit patch for the Chessie U30C (see Technical Reports - replacing a lua script with the one from the non-Steam version of the loco), there's no need for 32bit anymore - that was the last real issue. Ok, count one GTEL scenario which uses an incompatible 32-bit rolling start savegame, but that's really not a thing as it is just one out of thousands of scenarios (the short introductory one - which could be remade again to work properly. Possibly a rounding error causes the derailment).

Springfield has gotten a big udpate in 2021 I believe - its manual only recommends editing in 32bit - but this could be obsolete with the recompiled core. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Hopefully the recompiled core will eliminate those pesky post crash pop up notes about using 64 bit, when that was in fact what you are using.

It would also be nice if the desktop launcher for 64bit could be properly integrated into Steam (if not already running) to automatically start the latter when you click on it, as just about every other game does. ATM if you click on the desktop item and haven't previously started Steam you get bounced with a message telling you to go away and do so first.

• Like Like x 1