Tren De Sóller (sóller Pas Of Coll De Sóller)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Marit Wesselink, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Marit Wesselink

Marit Wesselink Member

I want to suggest a special train route for TS2020 on the Spanish island ''Mallorca''.

The route goes through Serra de Alfàbia mountains between Palma and Sóller has opened in 1912. The line inlcudes a train line and tramroad called ''Port der Sóller''. The route was very important because of the orange and fruit grows, and so the tram route was used for freight trains to transport the fruit between Port Der Sóller and Soller Station and Palma, they have used Britisch material that used the English yard. All tracks on the Mallorca railways are English yard.

[​IMG]
    The train route was built between 1903 and 1912, in 1893 they did the request.
    The trains are very special, they are over 100 years old and all (locs included) made out of wood and electric. There are four locs, who are pulling the wooden coaches. There also have been cars on the tracks. De trains starterd to drive on 16 april 1912, the same day te legendary Titanic had sunk. The train is passing 13 tunnels and a viaduct. On it's way it has a stop after the long tunnel for the view of Sóller. Before the electric trains they have used steam trains and steam trams as well, the train wasn't a succes for long. In 1923 the line was completely eletrified. The travelers complained about smoke, and that is why the electric trains have taken over the role of the steam train.

[​IMG]

The wooden train near Bunyola:
    [​IMG]

The trams were honored in 1913, and used the old Orange line from Sóller station to Port der Sóller, the maximum speed is only 30 km. The trams are straight of Portugal ''Lissabon''
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Station building Sóller:
    [​IMG]

Platform Palma:
    [​IMG]
    Platform Sóller:
    [​IMG]
    Station Bunyola
    [​IMG]

Depot Sóller:
    [​IMG]
    Crocodile was also in service on the Sóller-Pas for the orange-trains:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see this (I don't have TS, but maybe there's scope for it to come to TSW eventually)! Soller and the surrounding area is beautiful. I'd love to drive the tram out to the sea front at Port Soller.

SollerIMG_0806.jpg SollerIMG_0818.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

That beauty would probably be ruined by it being in TSW. The scenery doesn't pop enough and if you don't have a NASA PC it looks really ugly. If you like TSW that's fine, but I really, really, don't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I have it on PS4 and I don't think it's that bad. Earlier routes like GWE can look quite bland in places, and bad weather doesn't help, but on a sunny day, I think newer routes like RRO look great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marit Wesselink

Marit Wesselink Member

A great thing to know is that Söller station is one of the oldest stations in the world, just after the train was discoverd in Engeland, far for the passenger trains. It was probably used for the orange/fruit-freight.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is quite a short line and the trains start at one end and run to the other but there is not much else to do on the route.
    I don't think the train was discovered in England
    The motor cars were built by Carde y Escoriaza (Zaragoza) with motors by Siemens-Schuckert and boies by Brill.
    http://www.trenscat.com/balears/fstrensautomotors_ct.html

Peter