Ts19: Hudson Line Hurrah!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Mar 7, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

The famous Hudson Line, featuring Metro-North, Amtrak, and CSX railroading, is now available for Train Simulator!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 6
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This might bring me back to TS19 for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

You'll have to give me a lot more than 20% off for me to spend money on this fraction of a route. Between the time of the announcement and the release of the route, you can already tell they rushed production so people would be blowing money on this thing. Greed. This is why we can't have nice things, like Poughkeepsie or Albany.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

It’s a 60 mile route, it includes all the freight areas too. I think it’s good. There will probably be an extension later on.

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just picked it up looking forward to seeing the detail in it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. John Murphy

A 60 mile route in a game that can now handle routes of probably up to 200 miles from a developer that probably won't make an extension in the near future. Yeah, let me go and throw my money at this.

I hope Septa never gives DTG a license, because I'd hate to see them butcher the Keystone Corridor like this. Imagine that. "Amtrak Keystone Corridor: Philadelphia to Paoli!"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

60 or so miles is pretty average for many routes released. Yes they could make it 200 miles but it would take four times as long to make which would make it cost more. Have you ever tried to build a route? I have, it takes a long time. So they have released this to keep some people happy and as been suggested there might be a future extension.

Why do you think that the short time between the announcement and release means that it is rushed?

• Like Like x 2
  8. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Well that was a quick release. Released three days after its first public announcement. It's cool to see that the Metro-North version of the GE P32AC-DM Genesis is included (with the Shoreliner cab car) as well as the CSX Genset switcher. I thought they were still going to be standalone packs based on the first article, but I'm glad it wasn't so in that regard. So in total, that's five locomotives and one cab car in the default package, power for every purpose as the narrator said in the official New York Central public relations film "Within the Oval". Wish New York to New Haven had that soft of treatment when it was first released.

My guess is that if an extension is ever made for this (which I hope does happen), no new trains will be included unfortunately, just a route extension. Kind of like with the Salt Lake City extension for Soldier Summit (that's one of the let-downs about that route extension). But it's still a very well-rounded package of locomotives and cab cars for a short or full version of the Hudson Line, shame though that the route isn't the full length for all trains at this time.

Thank you Dovetail Games for listening to me and fulfilling my wish to have this [at least the most important part of this] route in Train Simulator 2019. I've been looking forward to this for a long time and I am interested in seeing a route extension to either Poughkeepsie or Albany in the future. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 3
  9. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

dose that p42 train come with passenger view cars

10. John Murphy

Why not make it all the way to Poughkeepsie or Albany if they have the capability to do so? People who only want to drive from GCT to Croton Harmon would still have the option to do so. There's no rule saying you HAVE to drive to Poughkeepsie or Albany. But those who want to drive all the way to Poughkeepsie and Albany don't have that option with this route and have to wait for an extension that may or may not come in the not so near future.

Still one plus side to all this is that at least they didn't make it for TSW. The route is already too short as it is. If they had made it in TSW, it would have been half its current length.

• Like Like x 1
  11. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Is there a manual available for this? There is no link on the Steam store page like there usually is.

12. cobetco

cobetco New Member

Oh dear, the P32's headlights are like a SUN... DTG need to tone those babies down, the P32 in general needs some love, i feel like some Cab noises are playing to often ((the rambling)) and the notches on the controls don't seem to actually notch? but maybe thats how it actually is? but mostly the headlights, those need a looking at, i should not be illuminating NYC buildings 500m away at noon, give us a day option to set to.

Also living in this area, things feel very sparse on the route, the vegetation along the Hudson in the summer is like a jungle, this feels like everything didn't get enough water. I might go in myself and add Miami route assets to green it up, but am afraid that will be pointless when this is inevitability extended.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  13. Michael Newbury

I have checked the manuals directory and I do not see anything there for it either.

14. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I fully understand your desire for a complete route but if DTG had done so it would still be in development for maybe another year or so. Doubtless they could make a 200 mile route but at what cost to them in terms of overheads, staff wages etc. That extra cost would have to passed on to us, the customer and we all know how sensitive price is. So it's cost effective for them to roll content out in stages, it also helps with their cash flow needed for future development.

I/m sure that if DTG see enough demand for an extension to this route then they would make it. So keep up the pressure to get it made and who knows?

• Like Like x 3
  15. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

All I can say on this is that Hudson Line (as it is) was a very challenging route to create.

• Like Like x 4
  16. John Murphy

Nah, they'll just sit back and rake in the cash from people who don't know any better, and most of that cash probably doesn't even go into future development. It just lines their pockets. Sadly, a bit of this money was mine, which I've spent in the past on routes when I didn't know any better. That's really the only reason I still play this broken game and deal with DTG, to try and get as much of my money's worth out of it as I can. I mean, when DTG gets their head out of their wallet and actually focuses on quality and giving the best experience (something they rarely do anymore), they can make train sim magic. They had the potential to do it here. Yeah, I say Albany just because it is possible. It would be a long route. But I feel Poughkeepsie is mandatory. The route feels cut short and unfinished without it, especially knowing that even the old 32 bit version could easily handle the route to Poughkeepsie. I would have ben willing to wait if it meant getting the full route from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John Murphy

Okay, you completed this challenge. Now your next challenge should be extending the route to Poughkeepsie, where it should have gone in the first place. That just sounds so cheap given the capabilities of this game. If this route were to come out now and later get an extension, it should have been the route from NYC to Poughkeepsie now, and an extension to Albany maybe a year down the road. If this route had gone to Poughkeepsie, I would have bought it instantly upon release, since it was a route I was waiting for along with the rest of the community. But now this has me hesitant to buy it, because I don't wanna pay almost full price for what I feel is only half a route. 20% off doesn't do anything. It would have to be 50% off for me to buy it. Half a route for half price. Also, the Poughkeepsie extension should either come free or at a very steep discount to people who already own the current route, since it should have been part of this route in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Respectfully... Dude, As much as I admire your passion about quantity/quality of content, I do so to a limit. Because the thing is with you, is that you have a seemingly overly cynical perspective of how they offer their content. A lot of your conclusions as to what limits to the route building is exaggerated. For instance, route miles in total is 60. And yes, much of it, was already done. But the actual distance between the southern end to the northernmost point is in the 30's.. That is close to an average length on the TSW route offering. So, they could have very well given the same amount of route within TSW. You really have some strong misconceptions in your statements. And how you come across with the things you say, is actually a bit counterproductive to your arguments.

Rumor has it, the team working on TS content has gotten smaller, so that puts a strain on what can be done, and how much of it gets done. Now, yes, there some things that may seem like there is a lot of corner cutting going on, which I do kind of suspect. But realistically, if the rumor is that the team has shrunken by either people within the company moving on to other things, or because they have allocated the manpower, and resources to other departments, you would imagine, that it doesn't help speed up, nor maintain the amount of work that gets done, and put into a particular project. It's common sense. If you work somewhere where there is an adequate amount of people where productivity was high, and all of a sudden half the people are laid off or quit, you expect that productivity there will remain the same? No, of course not.

As many of us that may have our opinions, or conclusions as to what goes on, most of us have any firsthand knowledge of what it takes to get these things done and pushed out. Also, this isn't just a hobby for these people. They, like you, who work to support whatever lifestyle you live, I'm assuming are in the business to make money, in a niche market, because they also have lives to maintain. They're not rockstar games, Ubisoft, Activision, or any of these long and well-established game publishers pushing out products that sell far more than this game does. So that is some of the things you should at least open your mind to and try to take into account. And not make up these wild over-exaggerated claims about what would go into each product.

Again, I understand that this could be better, but I also understand there is some legit reason behind it. It is, by far, NOT THE worst choice they've ever made, content-wise that they've offered (TSW: NEC-New York).. Which I think has totally put a very sour taste in your mouth, as well as others. I'm not completely knocking the way they offer content, as I've mentioned to them years ago on their facebook page, they should do it this way, though with a fair amount of effort put into it, as they can't just push out 200 miles worth of route in a short period of time. I believe more of this route will come, and I still like what was given even though I also would have appreciated more. But it will come in time. You just have to try and be a little understanding, compromising to some degree, especially when I'm guessing you, like many of us, have little to no skill in making any of these things.

• Like Like x 4
  19. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I can easily imagine that, but without previous access to the user manual, I'm not likely to purchase this route. Surely a manual is part of the download package, so why not share it before purchase?

20. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Apparently there is no manual included in the files either once you download it. At least that’s what I heard

21. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Incorrect - there is a manual in the usual place after purchase and covers all the basics

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

Are there many surprises along the route? My big pet peeve is going 70mph, and suddenly you're in a 30mph stretch and switching tracks without any any advanced warning.

23. Michael Newbury

I have not been able to find anything in the manuals directory for this route. What would we be looking for if there is supposed to be something there.

24. Anthony Pecoraro

You should get gradually lowered down by the signaling system.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

It was in the EN sub-directory under Manuals in your Railworks install directory, where all the other route and locomotive manuals are placed. Search on “Hudson” or sort by date - should be the latest entry.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Michael Newbury

Thanks for the help I found it that way, I had scrolled through the list a few times not being able to find it. Did not think about searching for it that way, I just figured if I could not see it in the list is did not exist..

27. goes2jack

goes2jack New Member

Thanks, Anthony. I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. John Murphy

I don't compromise with DTG. Poughkeepsie or I'm not buying. With as long as people have been begging for this route from GCT/Penn Station to Poughkeepsie, they would have had plenty of time to make it that far. I don't care how small their team is. Tons of people have wanted this route for years ever since the New Haven Line came out. If they did it with the New Haven Line, they could have done it with this. I'll keep bringing it up and keep bugging about it. If more people shared my thoughts and put a big fat foot up DTG's rear like they deserve, we might be able to get nice things like an extension to Poughkeepsie that should have been part of the route in the first place. No excuses. No mercy. Poughkeepsie.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  29. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Yeah.. you go ahead and fight the good fight.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Just had my first run. Aside from a lack of a quick drive option, I'm very happy thanks DTG.

Let's hope one of the community members offers to extend the line to Poughkeepsie for free given the ease with which it's done, apparently.