Ts21 - Terrific Tehachapi

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 24, 2021.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Bought and will enjoy after work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Share your impressions. I don't want to install TS again but that might convince me :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

We are aware with some issues of one of the locomotives not showing up, we are investigating and will update you when we have more.

Update ' this has now been fixed'

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

well the ac4400cw throttle icon in simple control and wiper nobs be addressed as well. they don't work. the wiper nobs turn but wipers don't move.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

On the UP AC4400, why do the rear headlights light up along with the front headlights?

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So played with the route a bit, have my good points and bad points with it....

The Good

-Small details such as Milepost markers, as well as accurate CP markings on the electrical boxes.
    [​IMG]

-The Bakersfield Amtrak Station and downtown are modeled really well.

-The SD70ACe looks better than Grainger Heartland, though it still doesn't have moving roller bearings.

The Bad

-The use of bright green from Cliff to Caliente. For some reason, this part is just inconsistent with the rest of the area, the random bright green ground textures just kind of throw this whole area of the route off, especially when compared to the ground past Cliff....

An overhead shot showing where the bright green textures end just past Cliff Siding
    [​IMG]

There is also some random bright green grass patches between Mojave and Monolith....
    [​IMG]

-Kuju Rollingstock, and no BNSF specific rolling stock.

-The Former Southern Pacific depot in Bakersfield isn't modeled, shame especially seeing how well the Amtrak Station was modeled, would of loved to seen this done accurately as well.

In Game
    [​IMG]

Real Life
    [​IMG]

-I have some weird lighting with the ditch lights on the BNSF ES44DC, but only when I'm a certain distance to the engine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nitpicking

-The memorial that is constructed at Tehachapi Loop isn't modeled, as well as the Tehachapi Loop Overlook.

-The AC4400CW has some prototype issues, though the manual states that Reppo was the one who modeled it, so I wont hold it against them. (Most likely due to time constraints)

-There is no winter for the route, as setting it will only add snow to the ballast and that's it, no snow at higher elevations.

-Minor scenery issues.
    [​IMG]

Still, the route is great for what it is.
    Screenshot_Tehachapi Pass_35.20102--118.54097_16-36-04.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. granttozier

granttozier New Member

its a great route altough evertime i use it for quick drive it crashes my game but using it for the scenarios it works just fine please fix this i love this route and would like to use it for quck drive to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BackdatedTrainsim

BackdatedTrainsim Member

RE: Green terrain texture.

It was originally sandy orange/yellow when we (route builders) all did our part. - my bit was monolith to mojave.
    But some changes were made after we'd all finished and none of the contractual route builders saw this change until now.
    EDIT: I have since had it clarified for me that the summer/autumn seasons is still as original and the green is most prominent in spring.

I can only apologise and say that if it becomes a major issue affecting the appearance of every season then DTG will be look into it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

If they update right, because there are other dlcs that were forgotten. I wish I was wrong, but the last notable DLC update was WCML South last year. Tehachapi is a good route, but there are certain aspects that could be fixed.

11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

FYI for anyone who doesn't want to deal with those bright green textures recommend you replace the Grass008_Wi_A to H texture files (Located in Tehachapi\Environment\Terrain\Grass) as they're the main one in that bright green color. I would recommend using one of the other textures included with the route, in my case I replaced it with a orangish yellow edit of the Grass002_A to H textures, which I feel does the job a whole lot better.
    Not from what I've seen, the green's also prominent during the summer at the very least. There is another texture that changes over to that bright green in the spring, but it's not near as common as the other one from what I've seen. The bulk of the bright green is present in summer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

Teh.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. raptorengineer

why did DTG make the BNSF ES44DC it own DLC Pack? couldn't they just add it to the Tehachapi Route base file?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  14. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

I believe there will be other routes that will use this locomotive, so just include this dlc along with the base route.

15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I might do that at some point, just did a workshop route run from Bakersfield to Woodford, and the high contrast colors from Sand Cut to Cliff just throws the whole area off when set in the summer time.
    Screenshot_Tehachapi Pass_35.29321--118.62047_15-18-10.jpg

Yet you get past Tunnel #7 and Cliff Siding and the route looks more correct and natural.....
    Screenshot_Tehachapi Pass_35.26028--118.59478_15-42-13.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

It was supposed to come with the route but at release it was missing. So they had to add it after everyone bought the route and found it was not there.

17. raptorengineer

here my little nit pick humor.
    UP ac4400cw and bnsf es44ac A&D keys don't work in simple mode. the UPac4400cw windshield wipers nobs don't turn on wipers both simple and expert mode. the rear break pipe next to coupler on UP ac4400cw is floating. ditch lights on bnsf es44ac seem to be fog up or something also one wiper not working. the sd70ace had no animated fans and rain effects.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  18. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

... and so they could further punish those of us who don't live in the USA ;)

19. Michael Newbury

Got to admit I am not totally happy we cannot get branded locos, but it will come down to DTG and BNSF to sit down and talk. But I am not holding any hope at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

At least if a loco is available outside the USA, then the community usually gets it branded rather quickly after its release.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The main route assets (which includes the UP stock) are the same across both regions, the BNSF engine isn't. So in order to allow for different versions of it they separated it, you get the BNSF version in the US, and the logoless version elsewhere. This same tactic is used for the Racetrack, and Arizona Divide, I'd also assume Raton Pass is the same, but I'm not for sure on that.

22. Michael Newbury

Yes for that I am happy for that and it's available to everyone branded or unbranded , and there are places you can go and get the branded logos.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

One thing I have discovered is atrocious, yet stable !!, framerate on my PC (14 fps in Bakersfield and around the loop). Seems worse than other heavy, intense routes (WCML). ... and we're waiting for a physics fix on the ES44 (brakes). Apart from that, I like the route..

Win7 64 bit
    nvidia GTX960 2Gb
    intel i7 3.07 GHz CPU
    24Gb RAM

24. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

My apologies. I should have mentioned that the low fps was in the Hot Box scenarios (long BNSF autorack train) I have just done the light, then heavy scenario (Mojave to Monolith and back) and the fps is fine. I guess it's down to the locos, the consist and the specific area. However, I'm not sure why it was low when out in the desert near the loop -Bakersfield town I can understand? Too many 3d trees??

EDIT - I decided to resume the saved game (part 2 of the hot box scenarios). Once the train had passed by the Loop and got to Cable track 1 then the FPS reverted back to my 30 limited, only dropping to 23-25 or so when an A.I. train met me. To my mind it was still desert scenery. There's something at the loop which is hogging the framerate it seems.

Oh yes, I believe people have mentioned that the brakes are suspect on the Tehachapi ES44? I completed the scenario with minus 1.67 million points - had a runaway into Mojave at 101 mph, but finally threw the emergency to stop it.:D Please sort out the brakes and hopefully investigate optimising framerates too.

EDIT - ticket submitted

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1