Tsc - Future Of Train Simulator Classic Developer Update 15th March

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Mar 15, 2023.

1. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Backward compatibility is important to us and it always will be. We want you to be able to use everything in your libraries now and forever. So we are treading carefully to make sure we don't break anything.

There are tools we're considering right now that may help developers such as a LUA development environment where you can script and test your LUA code without having to run up the game to test things. At the moment, the ideas are at the concept stage and should they move forward, I'll let you all know.

As for the APIs, a review of functions is definitely planned and we will fix anything that is not working as it should, and we'll be adding more things to the API based on the requests we've received from developers and the community. Naturally, that will also mean we will need to update the existing documentation to support.

This is definitely planned. Currently the resolutions are populated from your GPUs supported resolutions list. Unforunately, as GPUs have become more powerful and able to support many more resolutions, it has resulted in the list being too long for the software to display them all. Whilst you can manually set the resolution by editing a file in the Railworks folder, we will be adding the ability for you to not only select a resolution from a scrollable list but also input one of your own from the comfort of the settings menu.

Ongoing user customisation of the UI is something I'm keen to explore further. Thing such as selectable background music is on the plan to look at whether that be from a previous version or something else entirely, maybe your favourite music track. As for multithreading, as I alluded to in the article, it's something we're actively working towards as a priority.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 8
  2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I didn't remember at first, but Horseshoe Curve actually has some in scenarios. They're linked to scoring.

3. hellishfire

hellishfire New Member

That's great news if most valued and custom content friendly simulator will get these update!
    Looking forward to test it!

Hello Steve, as experienced content creator for TS I would also like to suggest some changes and improvements.
    First of all and most wanted, is dynamic cab occlusion. Cab occlusion is a great feature but it completely breaks experience when you open a window or a door in cab. There are two ways I see to handle it. First one, and most preferable, add Call("ChangeCabOcclusion", param1,param2,param3,param4) call in scripting API. Second one is to add links to certain controls that can change CO. First one is more flexible as I see and I think easier to implement.
    Second Call suggestion is check if rolling stock has Driver Icon. It would be great to detect which unit in AI's train is head.

And I would like to put some other suggestions along:
    Adding "Export this only" hotkey into Blueprint Editor as it is so annoying to manually click it every time and to see the full export has a hotkey.

Regarding the Route Editor Tools:
    1.I suggest to extend asset blocks up to 5 different assets mixed. Current set of two is good, but 5 will be just a level or two up from current point.
    2.Please let us store default values for transforming tools. Personally I use only local transform tool since it was added. I only switch between angle snap and scaling lock.
    3.Keeping users favs assets would also be great. The option to store 3 custom lists of assets is perfect but it renders completely useless when it wipes after each session.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I've already mentioned controllable CabOcclusion (and many other API and Editor aspects) above.
    Good to hear that same ideas and demands are not unique of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

One thing I would really like to see is a placeholder for missing stock in the editor. As the consists do not appear, you cannot replace them. Resaving will completely screw the scenario in many cases.

Run8 replaces every vehicle you don't own with a default "Run8"-skinned loco/boxcar that has the dimensions of the missing vehicle. (needed for Multiplayer). A great idea!

Edit: Of course Run8 can do it because it is not open for 3rd parties (except HyRail Simulations) - so it knows each stock available.

Stock not owned is replaced by functional dummies
    211.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And another one: The scenario should start PAUSED.

7. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

TrainSim-Steve do you plan on updating the blueprint editor?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

In addition to Track infrastructure wishes.

Now track lofts (and any other lofts) have sections with 2 meter length.
    Could You please, update them such way that the section step will be equal to loft geometry in .IGS file ? If geometry is 1 meter long, segments are 1 meter long, if 10 then 10 and so on.

Many game objects like curves of narrow gauge and tram lines, path walks, fence sections need custom length of straight segment. It will have maximal impact for fences that need to have flat sections, and for small track curves with radiuses about 20-30 meters, that now look bad in a game.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

For the stopping place/length an easier solution might be to allow dynamic (per scenario) platform markers that can intersect/overlay on existing markers so you could place one exactly where you want the service to stop.

Can confirm scripting doesn't work for AI. I can understand why they don't want complex loco scripts running for every loco being calculated but it would be nice to be able to add AI only scripts that run within a smaller distance of the player camera

• Like Like x 1
  10. coaster.roaster

coaster.roaster New Member

All sounding promising so far with the TSC development. One thing I would like to see is the Service Class, both on AI and player trains, to be more realistically timed. For example, a standard freight timed at 45 or 60mph. Alternatively, on that point, the option to manually specify the speed at which you'd like the AI/player train to run at - taking into account loco(s) and wagons (empty/loaded).

Something that would be a nice-to-have - in my opinion - is more realistic container weights on the flatbeds. I've noticed there's a lot of variations including quite a few that have the "MassInKg" value set to "0" - I have all mine set to a value of "7000". Just personal preference and as I said a nice-to-have, in my opinion. :)

11. VictoryWorks

To add to this... where a wagon has a container/cargo that is optional, having it apply/not apply the weight based on whether the cargo is selected would be a great step forwards. I've ended up creating separate empty and loaded versions to give them with the correct weights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

It has no sense until there're no ability to load/unload cargo during the scenario routine. :D

Trainz can do so since 2004, errgh.

13. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

There are many such load/unload functions in scenarios, back to Köln - Köblenz days there are container transfers and you can unload/load open wagons, hoppers and flats. Where have you been?

• Like Like x 2
  14. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I mean for rail fan scenarios I've used the stopping point (scenario place able) and put them next to car stop signs, so that is pretty much in game already :) )

15. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I've not used these features for years. Good to hear that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And this has been often mentioned, just let us choose our own Main menu background image. The misplaced UP logo is starting to annoy me ;)

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, they are misaligned IRL.
    5359017658_691a7d2b34_b.jpg

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Umm yeah, let us..
    Image2.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

He's right. It can be easily done manually. Files for background menu are local.

• Like Like x 1
  20. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Shall have to try again. I did it (few years ago) but my image was instantly deleted every time.

I thought local files were only used when running offline (and then showing the TS2019 background...) might have changed. Fair enough :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2023
  21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I don't see misalignment in your picture. The "I" in "UNION" is exactly at the vertical edge of the cab.

THIS is misaligned badly - you will not be able to unsee it anymore now :)
    21.png

22. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

This is what threw me at first when I first tried, just set the image to read only and it's Gucci. :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

What's the filename? I've replaced "loading_external.tga" but it is not used apparently - although it is exactly the menu background.

I remember it being a different filename years ago, plus there was an MD5 file. No signs of it though...

Edit: Ah yes - it's background.jpg :) Silly me...

I like this one, very sleek. Good job DTG, had to steal it. That's based on the TS2015 background.
    12313.png

By any chance - does somebody have the TS2016 background image? I can only find low resolution images on Google, or the booting images obstructed by logos and copyright scribble.

Edit: Damn what's wrong with me... there it is. Loved that one. 2017, 18, 19, 20 and 21 were ugly, with those three diagonally spliced images.
    TS-2016_Key-Art.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Here's a better photo
    100_1365.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

• Like Like x 1
  26. Frontiersman

Frontiersman New Member

I would just like to echo Rudolf's suggestion that it would be a good idea to keep a frozen 'old' version available for players that really do not want to upgrade. I would certainly not wish to lose the ability to enjoy older content that (so far) still works.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

A definitive statement on TSC MULTICORE/THREAD capabilities and that TSC 64-bit has the LAE bit set and can access at least 8 Terabytes of VAS, ie it is truly 64-bit.
    An indicator that some crash faults are due to an Invalid Page Fault.
    More info on WS scenarios causing OOMs, and liaise with Steam on a better interface for dl and DLC requirements.
    Comprehensive and easy mapping/remapping of keyboards and X-box type Controllers.
    Joysticks, etc native support.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Some of that should also be on the WS scenario author too - As in they should also list what's used too.

I mean i've seen a scenario where they've just put "only needs WCML South 350/1 - but uses the AP 350 as the driver - and then got annoyed when i pointed that out. (saying "just swap it out with TS Tools" )

29. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Currently the process of marking required DLC for Workshop is not user friendly, this huge slow list of all DLC to select from. Needs a search field. Or an automated process reading the "<RequiredSet>" from the ScenarioProperties.xml and automatically selecting the DLC to display. (I know this is mostly on Steam's end - no other game has this amount of DLC to handle.)

And a reminder: It's not the WS scenario creator's fault if it provokes an OOM - it is the process of transferring the downloaded zipped scenarios (which are not corrupt at this stage) from "steamapps\workshop\content\24010\" to the RailWorks folder incase there is multiple subscriptions that are then being queued. The scenarios are extracted and the three tags in the ScenarioProperties.xml (WorkshopID, WorkshopBy, WorkshopTags) are modified before writing them to your RailWorks folder - it is this process which produces corrupt xml files. (zlib.dll issue?)

Of course a content checking system that blocks and reports corrupt xml files could be done. But the question is: How would it affect loading times for players with huge amounts of scenarios? I think the problem must be solved before those files get into your installation - at the time of installation of WS items - NOT every time you run TS.

We could also have some skilled coders who integrate an xml checker into their tools (e.g. LocoSwap). A simple check for every xml opening tag having its closing tag present would suffice here to find corrupt ScenarioProperties.

And if creators use repaints, I don't see a way to prevent this (or the need). WS uploader only checks if Provider\Product are valid - it can't scan its contents though. I think it's ok that the use of repaints is allowed if they are in an official Product folder - and it is up to the author to let the users know. If you don't have that repaint, just skip it. Enough choice :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2023
  30. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Oh I know the workshop has issues - I was just more saying that some workshop authors don't help :) I do agree with all of that though the corruption parts - or when people say that they get OOM issues (when i can't repro it - not to say there isn't anything wrong of course - generally something gets corrupted) - but equally I wouldn't know how that all works, so can only speculate :)

31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It works as I've described it :). The point where the WS installer code modifies the ScenarioProperties.xml (for later syncing it at every TS startup) is the culprit. (Only when mass subscribing and thus creating a queue for the process.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  32. raptorengineer

i do have question for anyone, Steve said there updating the plugins for VS2017 and then update again to VS2022. one of the plugin is PhysX, would that update fix the locomotive movement on turntable.

33. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Interesting idea. Rather than using placeholder content though, might be better to give you the option of swapping out for another consist/vehicle that you do have installed and then save it as a clone so you don't lose the original. Thoughts?

Short answer - yes, but probably only to include feature requests from developers where they can be implemented.

Something we're looking at alongside the background music.

I'm nervous about messing with PhysX since it has the potential to cause undesirable effects. It is something we are going to have to look at though as NVIDIA may cease support for the version of PhysX that we're using at some point in the future. Potentially, updating it could fix a multitude of issues. However, it is also worth thinking if sticking with PhysX is the right way forward, maybe we need to be thinking if there are better solutions out there such as Havoc, Bullet, etc.

:)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 5
  34. raptorengineer

that awesome. i hope you can improve performances by using 4 cores. big dream would be 8 cores but that might be tuff. i'll wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion - in old versions of TS and Rail Simulator, where I took these screenshots, there was a side pop-up that had four menus. The last three were replaced by the F1 display and TS2012 HUD, but the first page was a minimap you could use to check the upcoming route and change points close to you. It's a really cool feature.
    upload_2023-4-5_1-19-37.png
    Also notice those pink rectangles - those are the area markers you can find in the world editor in modern TS but that don't do anything. They used to mark out an area on the map and show what it was called. I don't know why this was removed either, it can be quite helpful.
    upload_2023-4-5_1-21-29.png
    I expect that both of these features are still in the game's code but deactivated for whatever reason. It could be a low-effort thing to add back, especially the second feature. The minimap might need some changes for modern TS, as F3 now opens the little HUD and while there are a number of F keys that have no default action I know some trains use them, such as F7 and F8 for destination displays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Doomotron

Since getting the AP Weather 2.0 I've been driving in the rain a lot more than I used to and something I've noticed is that the rain sound effects don't stop when you're in an occlusion volume, so you are hearing rain you can't see. Pretty jarring and seemingly something that could be easily fixed.

37. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Also rain inside stations is annoying.

38. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

What are the chances of the route editor getting some love? In particular terrain painting, needs to be more like Trainz Surveyor and also have a copy and paste feature. We also need access to more terrain textures that can be called from owned DLC, or for routes going on a third party site it needs to be much easier to add in your own custom textures.

• Like Like x 1
  39. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Special collision box is needed, as I know the way to make it rain inside the loco's machine compartment!

• Like Like x 1
  40. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a thing or not. But is it possible to create a route that has multi-level track&stations sections where you can have one track with trains running directly over/under another, and how does it work for the 2D map rendering and scenario editing when you want to place or direct trains at certain points along the map/route?

41. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

It will work same as in Trainz, and You can place the vehicle on both tracks (but you'd need to place them precisely). They will have a special collision as trains in TSC are not etherial and have collision boxes, so they will hit each other. Mixed gauge at Clear Creek route is made such way. One track is a common 1435 mm, another one has 1 meter gauge and one invisible rail.

• Like Like x 1
  42. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

[QUOTE="I'm nervous about messing with PhysX since it has the potential to cause undesirable effects. It is something we are going to have to look at though as NVIDIA may cease support for the version of PhysX that we're using at some point in the future. Potentially, updating it could fix a multitude of issues. However, it is also worth thinking if sticking with PhysX is the right way forward, maybe we need to be thinking if there are better solutions out there such as Havoc, Bullet, etc.

:)

Best, Steve[/QUOTE]

NVIDIA, has open sourced their PhysX, its at Version 5.1 or something, But I dont trust them to keep it that way. Havok is very closed, and bound to certain Frameworks too. Maybe Bullet wold be the best. ( I need to look at the NVIDIA code bases, Which I have not done yet)

I have not seen a proper PhysX SDK release from NVIDA on their Dev site yet, in years. Maybe just update it to the one that is included with the latest NVIDIA GFX drivers just for starters. The version they include with a driver update has not changed in ages.

I was upgrading my PC last year, And I was thinking of going All AMD. The CPU, and GPU. The lot. But TSC stopped me from doing that, and I just stuck with Intel, And NVIDIA. Preferably something open source like Bullet, and not just something that will be suddenly will be pulled out from under us like a rug. I have been caught like that before, with my pants down.

• Like Like x 1
  43. cereal killer

cereal killer Member

Okay, I'm prepared to be the lone voice. I have just learned of this project and, it will seem strange to you, for me the news was like a bludgeon on the back of the head. I'll explain. I have a relatively dated PC which, however, does not limit me in terms of performance. It is an i7 6700 with 16 Gb of RAM and an RTX2060, for my needs it is still valid. It's a dual boot system, for general daily use I use a Linux distribution, for gaming instead I'm stuck with the dear old Windows 7. And here the troubles begin. In fact, when I read about dx12, I realize that if they are really implemented, I would be excluded, I could no longer run the game because win 7 doesn't support them. Switching to windows 10?, it doesn't make sense, in a couple of years it will be out of support too. The present and above all the future is represented by windows 11. But the latest Microsoft OS doesn't support my hardware, I should buy a new PC. I bought TS (Railworks) shortly after it was released. Since then I've bought a ridiculous amount of DLC that I've spent a lot of money on... What now?, now I risk not being able to play anymore for this update? No, obviously I can't be happy about that. What's the point of having to buy a new PC to continue playing a game bought 10 years ago? I join those who believe that such an update should come out as a separate new product. This is because Steam foolishly no longer allows you not to automatically update a single game. Were it possible to do so, the problem would be reduced.

44. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

If you're already using Linux, you should be able to run TSC on it with Proton.

45. cereal killer

cereal killer Member

Theoretically it is a possibility. A while ago I tried, but there was the problem that the AP archives were not opening, so it was necessary to decompress them. I recently read that moving the game install to a directory that doesn't start with a dot works fine. However, it remains an inconvenient solution, for example I am thinking of dlcs that have their own installer, which therefore must be launched in emulation with wine. Same thing with the tools I've been using for years to edit game assets, they too must be used in emulation... It's a prospect that certainly doesn't excite me...

46. Doomotron

Unfortunately in a bit of a pickle. Windows 7 really isn't a good version of Windows to use daily anymore, not just because of the security risks from using it. What I would note is that I've seen reports of Windows 10 and 11 keys being interchangeable, but if that still applies since Microsoft have stopped selling Windows 10 keys individually I do not know. I will not say that it's a good idea as I'm not informed, but it might be worth looking into. As much as I dislike Windows 10 it'll be fine for long enough, hopefully until you get a new PC capable of running Windows 11.

I'll also assume you've used the installation assistant to see what about your PC prevents Windows 11 from being installed. If not, it's worth taking a look as it could be something quite simple.

47. cereal killer

cereal killer Member

I've never had any problems with Windows 7.
    Sure, using it for web browsing is a bad idea, but I use Manjaro Linux for that.
    Windows 7 is very convenient for me because I use several outdated games that don't work as well on Windows 10.

48. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Still on Windows7 too for gaming - will keep this machine for retrogaming / Linux and get a new Win11 Ryzen/RTX rig for the future.

49. VictoryWorks

Make a copy of your TS directory folder to another location and you can run it from there. I have a few back ups of old versions... just fired up TS2014 and it still works fine, had a quick run with a 4F on the original S&D :)

50. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's a bit of principles war.
    Microsoft requires a relatively new CPU so that they can use some technology in them.
    My PC is 8 years old, actually blazing fast, except could use a much stronger GPU but I'd rather not touch it after all our life spent together.
    Meaning, I would feel odd to smash this PC (Perfectly Capable) just because it doesn't have the newest tech.
    (One of my friends took my 12 years old PC and they are very happy with it. Some good rig that was.)

In a sense it's better to stick to i3 or i5 because they're not just cheaper but worse, aging faster.

I mean, it will happen. One day, all cars will be required to be controlled by a computer, communicating their intent, path, rolling a dice at crossings, enabling the removal of all visual lights, automatically managing people crossing the street, etc.

On that day, every single veteran vehicle that is not yet equipped must be converted to KITT or will be illegal to be on the road.
    On that day, every single person will shout that this is a sad day for humanity, we're wasting so many resources.
    (And many more will be happy because it will be able to control traffic congestion and all else.)

No, it's not crazy at all. You can't just drive a cute 150 year old steamer on the ECML. It must have AWS, TPWS and all the fancy. And soon ETCS v2/v3, and automatic fireman, throttle and brake control, enabling remote control.