Tsc - Live The Lirr!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 30, 2022.

1. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

dose that mean the Hudson line for metro north is going to be coming to TSW 2?

2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

No it don't

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

This is not confirmed.

4. trinancrat

trinancrat Member

Yes, I misspoke, sorry, I meant the Hudson Line. I am not aware of any plans to bring the Harlem Line to TSC.

5. E.j.

E.j. Member

I see some are disappointed with this addon. I also feel there should've been more, but I do see this has a lot of potential of becoming what we want to see in an LIRR DLC. I've seen the community put out some awesome extensions and made some pretty good updates to routes. TSC routes have so much more potential than TSW routes. They are longer and have a wide variety of scenarios that can be created.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cyclone

And the possibility to extend it in the Workshop exists. Going to Ronkonkoma? Build the line to there. (I get that from TSW BTW, as that one cuts at Hicksville.)

7. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah and I'm fully committed to helping the community get to grips with building this stuff. I created an entirely new signal system for this and while it's extremely flexible in what it can produce, it's not the easiest to implement into your own route. I also plan on making videos/documents on how to develop for this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Cyclone

No kidding. I saw the signals on my TSW run the other day and realized this is gonna be a project to figure out.

9. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Agreed, if the M3's, C3, DE/DM30, MP15AC, and NY&A GP38-2 are introduced, that can introduce many service patterns and fully simulate the rolling stock that is encountered in real life.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The 450 was drivable separately on L2B - Some Scenarios did feature the sets in the Brighton area.

You might be able to fill Penn station with other AI but there is nothing outside of Penn
    AFAIK there are no other trains to purchased to use on the line. Like a GP 38 and stock
    LIRR 271.jpg

11. malikrthr

Unfortunately, the LIRR GP38 is no longer in passenger service. I believe they may have been converted into freight equipment for the NY&A. They may originate out of Hunterspoint Yard, and Morris Park yard just west of Jamaica. I believe there is a shop on the former Richmond Hill branch. It would have been cool to see the GP38 and MP72/75 still in passenger service. If the trackage extends further east out to Riverhead, NY, that would be a great opportunity for a scenario where an excursion run could take place from the Riverhead Rail Museum

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

GP38 is not in use but the DE30AC, DM30AC have been for the last 20 odd years

13. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

OK. rebuilt from scratch. Now we're talking. and cactus, nice job building it with the possibility of future extensions. I do have two questions: has Vanderbuilt yard in Brooklyn been updated as well? they had moves the yard lead from the line to the yard to the western end closer to Atlantic Terminal. And what about the new tunnel leads heading under sunnyside for east side access?

14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Thanks for the questions! VD yard is completely modernized and has entry/exit possibilities from both the western and eastern ends. I added East Side Access tunnels from Harold and Sunnyside up to and including Plaza interlocking. Not signalled and not really meant to be used, but added to demonstrate that Harold and the surrounding area are in a completely modernized state.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. professorgenkixii

professorgenkixii New Member

I hope The LIRR DM30/DE30AC's, M3, and M9 are coming as DLC but I also do hope that we can at least get a Continuation from Hicksville, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma and get a full run from Woodside to Port Washington

16. Cyclone

I would love to see the M3 come with a route continuation to at least Ronkonkoma, myself. Only reason I know about that location is services in TSW literally all originating from there. No Hempstead services as far as I saw in the timetable, but maybe I needed the M3 in TSW to unlock that. Not sure. In any case, the route goes straight into Greenport and terminates there, so it's a bit of a straight journey and I suspect might be seen as too boring for players. St, Albans (near Jamaica and Hollis) to Babylon could perhaps extend nicely, possibly with the Long Beach branch available. Montauk from Babylon would be too far IMO for a DLC.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  17. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I get that you’re coming from a reasonable perspective. But this is the attitude we shouldn’t continue. Because we’ve easily seen routes given some serious length/extensions. And the more we accept this mindset, the more we continue to see content given in the way American content, made by DTG especially, being done in short sections.
    Yes the whole small team thing argument gets thrown in there. But there isn’t a lot we’re give in comparison to what is done for other territories.

As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, I’m trying to keep my gripes to a minimum, because for one, if this company has taught me anything about them, is to keep expectations reasonably low. As I’ve advocated for LIRR to be brought into this game for yearssssss, I’m incredibly happy to see this coming to TSC, finally and very much looking forward to the extensions via the community to be done.
    It is unfortunate that their internal team is alleged to be too small to produce longer routes, and hopefully that may change. But I’m hoping to see some content for this route really make up for what it lacks in length.

Content being most of what’s already been mentioned by others, and even the M9’s.

18. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Outside of the community and workshop, wonder if this route would ever have the option for the extension treatment in the future like Peninsula Corridor, which added the tracks to Gilroy, Soldier Summit, which added tracks to Salt Lake City, and the NJT North Jersey Coast which added the Morristown Line.

19. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Not all routes are short e.g Marias Pass but the factor that must be considered is too much content affects stability.

20. Cyclone

You seem to forget that development costs time. Ask cActUsjUiCe when he started working on the route. He probably didn't do everything; surely there was work done by people within DTG on scenery and things like that. I can tell you a project like this takes months. At some point, time runs out and you have to publish what you have. On the TSW side, this happened with Sherman Hill. Track 3 from what I understand is complete; it's just not sceneried and thus cut off from player access and from the map itself. Time ran out. They had to sell what they had.

If they went further here, time would have run out and cuts would have had to be made to get the project out to us at a reasonable time. Instead of making cuts, they did their best to make the best route they could in the time available.

Let's hope they did that in the eyes of the players. If the M7 that comes with the route is well made, we have a potential hit, especially if it can respond to signals in ways other trains cannot.
    Marias Pass had a much larger team working on it. This route, meanwhile, would not exist if cActUsjUiCe were not involved, I think it's safe to say.

If this turns out to be one of their most successful routes, I would say DTG would be more than happy to extend it, or create another route that can be merged with it. In this case, another train would likely be created for inclusion. We can't do that on the Workshop.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. hayward.john48

I was merely making the point that not all US routes are short any more than those in other countries. I get fed up with the constant moaning. RWA members are developing a route 900 miles long but it takes a heck of a lot of time to developed and do many folks have all day + to drive it? If you want long routes teach yourself to do one. I’m doing the eastern section of the Green Bay & Western and that alone is 100 miles, the whole route is 250 miles, I won’t live long enough to do that.

22. rare_common_sense

Cyclone

Chief, I can assure you I’m certainly not ignorant to the things as your statement implies. I’m more aware of certain things than what is actually being said.

I’m very much aware of the amount of time that was put into the track work and signaling done by Cactus. And I’ve been a pretty long-standing supporter of his work. If his participation with the Bal/Wash route was any indication, this route will also be very good.

The only downside (understandably), is his meticulous attention to detail, as with anyone, means more time would always be needed to get certain things done as close to the real thing as possible. But the end results are almost always usually worth it.

Aside from that, I’m happy to know the route has been provisioned to for further extension, that thankfully we have a dedicated team ready to take on.

As I mentioned earlier, most of the difficulty that stood in the way of a third-party effort has largely been addressed. So I am grateful to Cactus and DTG for finally making this happen. The 14th can’t get here fast enough.

• Like Like x 1
  23. rare_common_sense

In addition to what Cyclone said, Marias Pass is a much older route. As far as the moaning, it is unfortunate that it bothers you so much. But it also doesn’t take away from the validity of those gripes, especially when we see the amount of effort put into routes outside of US territory in comparison.

I will say, if we are to be given the amount of content we’re getting regarding these types of operations, I would love to see more like it done. And hopefully with enough support through the community through sales, it incentivizes to do and expand more on what is already available.

24. hayward.john48

You might notice that longer routes worldwide are third party developed. DTG routes in the row are not longer than those in the USA so don’t think that the US is treated in an inferior way.

25. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Even though there is a shrinking tendency on the length of DTG routes there are some long ones such as the Surfliner, NY-NH, NJ Coast Line, WCML-S, the latter being pretty new. Anyway quantity ain't quality so the length isn't necesary a problem to me. There's also the posibility of an extension that some times may be even longer than the original (like Lyon-Marseille).

• Like Like x 1
  26. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer! Its amazing the work put into this! iirc, Since i use to frequent the line until last year, ive always seen the eastern end closed off once the western end opened up. Since most of the put ins/lay ups (subway terms; former subway conductor, not sure of the LIRR terms for this), mostly are in and out of the terminal itself. after playing the TSW2020/TSW2 versions, im excited for this!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Wolfgrade

Wolfgrade New Member

The screenshots are not enhanced. But in this case, some stations use bump and specular maps in the materials. Mainly on the platforms

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  28. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Looks sharpened, but that might be different AA settings. Just curious ;)

29. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

The Lirr is out, and suprisingly it's part of new TSC Region Edition (although its listed as USA Deluxe edition)

30. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Have not played TSC in a while and noticed that the dreaded "passenger comfort" meter is no longer working, at least on this route, yeah!! I did with this route, like I have done with the TSW2 routes I play, opened up a signal guide in my second monitor to follow along and interpret their meaning

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Cyclone

I noticed that. Second time it has been seen as missing. Stop however hard you want to, they won't care.

32. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

What’s the point of tsw2 if better versions of route are available on old as hell engines?

33. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

If only it was for every route :( Lost 100+ Points on LGV Rhone-Alpes due to excessive braking (How am I supposed to bring a 300km/h fast train to a halt without nearly activating emergency brake?)

34. rare_common_sense

If you pay attention to a lot of their social media, you'll likely see most of the Console Players, asking for Routes in TSC to be made for TSW. And sometimes, those of us who aren't too big on TSW where routes in TSW that weren't in TSC, like this one up until its release yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice a nice attention to detail. At the end of your station stops, and once the doors are closed, a guards buzzer sounds to let you know it's time to leave.

• Like Like x 1
  36. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah it's a nice touch

• Like Like x 1
  37. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

agreed, I'm steering more to at times it seems tsc gets the more interesting longer routes with additional features. 6 of 1 and half a dozen
    Of another I guess

38. Cyclone

I sense some salt. The LIRR from the old days was one of the original TSW routes. I believe. The difference is we had Brandon involved in the route and signals to make it pretty close to accurate. From gameplay alone, it's better.

Maybe someday the signal scripts on TSW will be updated, but that's a maybe.

Also, Munich-Augsburg and Dresden-Riesa both made their way to TSW, while TSW's Rapid Transit Route partly moved into our Leipzig-Riesa extension that TSW does not have, with only the Leipzig stretch for the 1442 involved in both between Leipzig Hbf and Leipzig MDR. Both games are going projects, and both games will get similar routes from time to time.

• Like Like x 3
  39. hemmt973

hemmt973 New Member

The route itself at least offers us the opportunity to offer two complete branch services via the Hempstead Branch and Belmont Park Spur! Unfortunately, the mainline ends abruptly at Hicksville, many miles from the end of electrified territory on either branch! The first realistic extensions should be the five mile lower montauk diesel only extension from Richmond Hill to LIC, providing a decent interchange point for freight via fresh pond yard! It would also allow for freight operations for those freight sidings on the mainline and Belmont Park!The next extension should be an extension of Oyster Bay Branch from East Williston into Oyster Bay giving simmers access to the shortest diesel branch on the system! There is a terrific reskin of the Metro North P32s coupled with the North Jersey Coast Line Multilevels already available on line! It really performs well, but unfortunately the cab signalling isn't compatible! Re skins of the BNSF GP38s and SW1500s would do just fine for any freight action on the line! As for extensions east of the electrified mainline to Greenport, doubt that would be feasible do to the eighty mile extension necessary! L

40. Cyclone

I have a dfferent view. Take the network to Babylon, possibly also adding Ronkonkoma to continue from Hicksville. At that point, hopefully enough assets can be included to make the journey to any end point on any branch possible, and it's possible for people to work on whatever branch they want to add without potentially conflicting with another's work.

Let me clarify why Babylon is my ideal end point for a main network. When you go south after leaving Jamaica, there are two routes to take. Both go to Valley Stream. Branches peel off for Far Rockaway, Long Beach, and West Hempstead. The main line continues along a long stretch and finally passes a connecting track (no stations, from Hicksville) before entering Babylon. At this point, the Babylon route continues to Montauk, and could in theory continue to Patchogue where I think electric services end. All four routes I named are now their own potential Workshop projects, and provided enough assets can be done and included with the route (barring perhaps the full station models but providing the station signs; if doing station models, they might as well build it themselves), they can be independently created and maybe at some point all merged into the route as a separate project to provide the full network.

Meanwhile, someone can already work on the Port Washington branch, and Oyster Bay, as they both peel off from the existing route (we even have East Williston built). The path to Huntington has been started and can go straight to its end. Ronkonkoma's path has to branch off from the other track that heads to Babylon, hence why I also suggest Ronkonkoma in the second phase of the project.

My thinking is that the M3 could go with the Ronkonkoma phase. If having it and Babylon together would be too much, maybe have a diesel train in there with the extension to Babylon, and that at least allows for diesel services to be run using the correct train instead of having an M7 stand in.

A final option involves possibly taking the route to Valley Stream and down one of the branches to its terminus (Far Rockaway is by far the most used, though Long Beach could wind up the winner, while West Hempstead isn't used nearly as much). After getting to a point beyond the branches all peeling off, the third phase can continue from there to Babylon, and at this point Ronkonkoma can add on to provide about as much of a network as we could possibly need. There is little reason for them to build, say, to Montauk, as there may not be much financial viability in it; however, a Workshop maker can take the assets and build it himself.

Or they could work on another American route for us. There is that option, too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  41. malikrthr

Definitely a great suggestion. I really think the devs can definitely take the route further east atleast to Ronkonkoma at some point. If they can do the same where an extension was created for the Caltrain route after initial release, the same can be done for LIRR. But then again, I am not too sure, as the Metro North Hudson Line did not officially get extended by the devs. They created it to Croton Harmon, but a someone created a great extension to include stations north of Croton Harmon.

42. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd say it'd be good for DTG to leave the extensions to the community (especially since I've already finished the Port Jefferson branch to Huntington (no scenery), and I'd hate for a DTG extension to overwrite my work.

43. Cyclone

Why no scenery? Hoping you can get around to that eventually as that would make for a great addition in the Workshop. Looked up info on the Huntington yard and activity there. :D

Also, my idea for getting to Babylon is to prevent works for Long Beach and Far Rockaway, say, from overwriting each other and not being able to be used in one route map. Having a good branch-off point provides the most flexibility to people finishing the line in question. Huntington already, I think, will not be explored by DTG no matter what as that's already branched off from Hicksville and has no connectors.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  44. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

port Jefferson Branch is coming to train simulator classic?

45. Cyclone

If so, likely a Workshop route (or something external if non-Steam assets are included).

46. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

It'll be a 3rd party release since custom assets can be made, (like signs and any other unique features).

47. Cyclone

Workshop counts as third party, but if there are custom assets, then yes, it would appear elsewhere. In which case, I hope I don't miss it. Would be worth a revisit to play scenarios there. Huntington in particular is interesting since there's a nice yard there.