Tsc: Screenshot Contest : Week 24 - June 2022

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 17, 2022.

?
  1. Engineering Works

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Streamlining

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Exhaust Fumes

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. United States

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  5. Clouds

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Think the DTG staff forgot about the contests :p

2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I got this screenshot in game, I suppose this is the winner :) Congratulations.

3. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I am seriously getting somewhat miffed with the way this comp is being run.
    The decision on when to choose a winner has already been put back by 7 days.

As at time of posting they still cannot be bothered to post who is the winner.
    14 days to choose a winner ??????????????????

My winning shot in week 22 is still yet to be seen as the first load up image
    It was replaced with the week 20 winning image which can still be seen as of today.

We also have no Thread or Theme for next week, when I would imagine the weekend is the only time a lot of us working folk have to play & create new screenshots.

Apologies for ranting but am getting a bit tired of the poor DTG attention to this thread.
    If you (DTG) haven't the time or resource to run this thread then either close it down and fill the load screens with adverts (which seem quite popular lately) or at least have the decency to acknowledge the contributions of the community that provide you with freebie high quality content on your load screens.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Blacknred81

I remember back in the day, they would also advertise the winning screenshots on their Facebook page as well, they don't do that anymore.

Seems like this contest is just being ran with the bare minimum effort at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Craigie-C

I wasn't aware of the Facebook aspect.
    Must admit I don't see you posting as much as you used to on this thread, I used to always look forward to your offerings, even though I have no interest whatsoever in US Railroading, your screenshots were always amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Why should the rest of us even compete in the weekly contest?
    It is always the same winner the whole time.

7. bellminsterboy

bellminsterboy Well-Known Member

Well, one thing is for certain - if you don't enter, you definitely won't win!

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Where? I can't see either of those being used in this thread.

9. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

So did in RSN discord server lol

10. dragoner

This duh..

11. Pookeyhead

I fail to see why you need to be so rude to people. I just missed that post. Seriously... this thread is an example of why people assume train enthusiasts are a bunch of social misfits with limited people skills.

12. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Well, it's not too much an effort to repost the picture, especially once you have chosen it :)
    I feel there is a bit of negativity surrounding this contest, particularly revolving around enhancers. Allowing them would essentially remove all chances for vanilla players to ever win, especially their use correlating with people who care about shots (I'm probably the odd one out).

I don't understand the logic behind chosing the winners either, but it doesn't help being salty.
    I wonder sometimes why mine never got chosen. The most neutral one, my account name being revealing. I found my copium, though :)
    From cscarpenter the DB BR44 / Wutachtalbahn shot is much more to my liking. Possibly the best overall.
    Just my feedback on yours, I think it was too dark. I also have some night shots but they only really work in a dark room. (People didn't even like my 3rd shot in this thread, the small one. And that's just overcast, a bit moodier.)

Regardless, momentary salt aside I am happy about these threads (and sad about the summer lull) because it drives me to improve as well.
    I invite you (and everyone) to visit the TSC screenshots thread every now and then, share yours, and get inspired by those you like.

13. dragoner

And I fail to see why you think I am rude. I wasn't.

14. Craigie-C

Maybe because they take some amazing screenshots, well composed, well lit, good subject matter, angle of shot etc.
    Instead of playing the jealousy card & complaining about the same person winning all the time, try studying & learning from the winning shots and follow their example.
    Strive to improve & become better than them, that's how to succeed in anything in life.

15. Pookeyhead

So you always end your statements to people with "duh" do you? So if someone asked you where the nearest bus stop was, you'd reply "Just down the street duh"? Not been in these threads for ages, and I don't think I'll be coming back. Just seems to be full of negativity and needlessly competitive snarking at one another. They're just screenshots. Chill out.

16. dragoner

I obviously wouldn't, If you have problem with someone saying such things then I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually left everyone other Game forum. And if you aren't happy with the arguments, then you should atleast check what was happening. Because cscarpenter wasn't breaking any rules, yet someone said he was using an enhancement.
    Obviously I am chill, because I am explaining this in kind manner, if you think this isn't any 'chill' answer. Then you are probably having a problem with it. I am not going to extend this until it becames a pointless drama, and you should stop as well. Thanks.

17. dragoner

GG Cscarpenter, you've won this contest again, saw your screenshot while loading a route.

18. Pookeyhead

Than don't do it in here. Are you a child or something? I'd forgive you if you were.

So why do you feel you can talk to people like that in here when you wouldn't do in real life? Is it because you know you'd get a smack in the face?

19. dragoner

[REMOVED - Alex - Verbal Abuse]. End of discussion, blocked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2022
  20. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Ignored*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2022
  21. steamylocoman

I have been in almost every contest except when I have 8 days of work in a row.
    And in week 24 I have 2 pictures posted.

22. steamylocoman

I think that this picture should had been the winning picture this week.

• Like Like x 2
  23. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I would agree as although the winner is a good picture it is not particularly summery as the beach is completely empty, more like end of season. Still the judges are the judges.

24. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

I am both surprised and grateful as ever to see my shot on the loading screen again.
    Didn't realise I had won till I fired up TSC today.
    Totally agree, I had that down as the winner as soon as it was posted.
    Maybe it is a private beach LOL, I agree it would have been nice if the scenario designer had added some aditional assets to make it a bit busier.
    I know exactly how you feel, it can be very de-motivating to not get the elusive prize.
    Like yourself I offered my shots week after week with no recognition.
    In 2020 I only managed 1 win compared to , 7 wins from Blacknred81 ,7 from Ironbladder, 4 from Buynot. etc. etc.
    I then created a database of the winning shots and looked at what they were doing that I wasn't.
    I now just keep trying different ideas on each theme and hope to be succesful.
    I admit I do take a lot of time and care in setting up and chosing my contributions to this thread and this year it seems to be paying off.
    I have no say in what is deemed to be the winner that is entirely up to the DTG Judges.
    I have just been extremely fortunate of late.

• Like Like x 2
  25. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

You’ve posted some very good screenshots.

• Like Like x 1
  26. bellminsterboy

That's just the way it works! I have entered 50 odd contests in just over a year and won two of them, so it's not always the same people that win. Part of the fun is seeing what other people come up with; if you are really that sore about not winning one yet, I suggest you make your images more competitive.

27. Blacknred81

Winning these things seem like an up and down kind of thing. As stated above, 2 years ago, I was able to win 7 of them in a year. This year, I still only have 1 win way back on week 6.

28. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Completely agree, though I'm hardly neutral on the matter!

With regards what you can do to get better, winning screenshots, can I offer this advice.
    1. Get the technical requirements correct. The rules about aspect ratio and resolution are there for a reason. If you don't meet them it's going to be an instant disqualification. I've seen at least three entries in the last round that didn't meet the technical requirements.

2. Pay attention to the theme, this seems to be important to DTG. It's not enough to have something that sort of fits the theme, you need something that really brings out the theme. Take 'summer' for example. What does that mean? I suggest most people would say sun, hot days, holidays (vacations), harvest, and so on. So try and build these ideas into your screenshot. This weeks winner shows most of these ideas.

3. Make use of the Pause/Break key to freeze the simulation, then jump into the world camera and take your time to get a great camera position.

4. Use Quick Drive or create a free roam scenario to set up the scene you want to 'photograph'. Get the weather you want and the sun position you want. Take your time, you don't have to be rushing around trying to photo a moving train.

5. Read up about photo composition. There are some generally accepted rules about what makes a pleasing composition and how to make use of things like colour and camera position.

6. Use the editor to help you out. Tree obscuring the view? Move it. Empty foreground? Put an object in it. Since you are using the standard functionality of TSC, which every user has, I don't think this can be seen as violating the rules by using an add-on.
    Have fun! See you in the next comp.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. bellminsterboy

Excellent advice IronBladder; both of my winning shots were planned in advance using the editor, and I think you're spot on that planning is key.

30. Bredyhopi

Bredyhopi New Member

This reminds me of the old Deutsche Bundesbahn

• Like Like x 1
  31. dragoner

Just a random thought, could it be because they wanted other people to win too? Just saying.

32. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Most of the time the winners have taken pictures on the newest routes, you’re basically giving free advertising

33. Craigie-C

Not so sure about that, the current loading screen displays:-
    West Somerset Line - 2013
    Riviera in the 1950s - 2015
    Im Koblitzer Bergland - 2020
    Western Lines of Scotland - The Port Road - 2013
    Would hardly describe those as new routes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  34. dragoner

Western Lines of Scotland was released in 2013, Wasn't it?

35. Blacknred81

Not counting this week, but stat wise, it is mostly even except for cscarpenter, who has 5 now going on 6 wins this year. No one else has more than 2.

cscarpenter 5
    Craigie-C 2
    Mortu5 2
    WhippleStripper 2
    IronBladder 2
    LargeInjector
    JJTimothy
    Cuddy_Man
    TrainsAreBest
    Blazin
    bellminsterboy
    Leo Martin
    blacknred81
    Buynot
    TrainsAreBest

• Like Like x 2
  36. dragoner

Interesting, Well let's see at the end of this year how many cscarpenter's entries have won.

37. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

That will depend on how many times I contribute and whether my shots will be good enough.
    As Blacknred81 has shown there has been 18 weeks out of 24 when I haven't won.
    That is 36 shots offered with no reward. Gutted LOL
    Everyone's goal should be to win every week, such is the nature of any competition.

I am the first to stand back and admire anyone's contribution that wins if it has that wow factor that I didn't achieve with my own submission.

Rest assured If we have a thread next week I certainly won't be in the frame for winning, the current poll winner is "USA"
    I don't do USA railroading, in fact I have unticked all my USA routes in Steam to free up storage space.
    Nothing personal it just doesn't float my boat.
    Although I could always re-tick ........ hmmmm. Only kidding.
    Good luck to all you USA railroad fans can't wait to se your contributions.
    (If we ever get to have a thread posted)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  38. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi everyone, I am sorry about the screenshot contest, I was away on friday so not sure what happened, will make sure the winner and new contest goes up asap, will see if we can get the screenshot contest winners on facebook again, we have some new themes which have been suggested. If you ever think of any ideas for themes that you would like to see please let me know. Also as said above please keep to the rules of only Routes and Locos that are on steam and make sure you have the game with no mods.

• Like Like x 2
  39. dragoner

If you need some new themes, then I have some for you Jamie.
    "Mistaken location" - bit dumb (also unoriginal name, so if anyone can think of better title, let me know) but kinda interesting, you put.. Let's say a german loco onto French line (LGV)
    "Passanger View"
    "High speed on Normal lines" - A high speed train on lines that don't permit speeds above160km/h (100 mph)
    "Architectual point" - A screenshot of some train from a location on route that is unique/famous/etc. for the nation (such as White House on NEC: Baltimore - Washington)

40. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 1