PC Tsw2 Vr Support Release Date.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

This game is based on Unreal Engine 4 which is able to work in VR.
    Best example for that is the racing sim Assetto Corsa Competizione.
    Kunos, the devs of this sim didnt have any experience before with UE4 (they used their own engine before) and they showed that its possible. I have to add that UE4 is not the best in the performance discipline in comparison to other racing simulations in VR but they started, sure they had their struggles but they sorted it out and now it works fine.

TSW3 is on the same engine so i dont see any problems to implement it.
    But as ive said in my previous post, TSW3 need first to be better concerning in performance.
    Dont know how DTG will handle TSW3.... in my opinion this should be a good base, increase the performance, sort out the scenario bugs on existing game and dlcs.
    When this is sorted out, then it make sense to add new stuff like VR and from time to time a new dlc.
    Improvement work should happen in parallel to keep the player base or make it even bigger.
    It would be good to keep the "normal" users and add VR as an option so this users which have the hardware so they can play in VR.
    And everybody is then happy :)
    In my opinion VR would be a great immersion push and would attract new players too.

I can say from my own experience with racings sims.... ive tried few years ago VR and i dont want to drive on a normal screen anymore.
    I am aware about people which have problems using VR but then they have the possibility to play the "flat variant". :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

I too do sim racing on Assetto Cross Competezione and can only use VR due to, not just immersion, the fact it helps to gauge distance into corners etc and being able to look out my window/mirrors to see where I am positioned etc. Totally agree with you though!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

Exactly. :)

In case of TSW3 the real proportions could give a better feeling about this big machines.
    This always give an extra portion of immersion.
    Guess only we (the VR users) can understand that. :)

4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder what this number would look like if it wasn't buried with 15 other options in the one question if I recollect . It's highly probable in how the surveys set up it will come lowest due to the user base.

Have DTG ever thought about putting a flash question in once a month when you open the game up. On title entry just a quick

"would (insert topic here) interest you?"

One click and you're in the game. I can't help but think the survey has bias by burying a new feature in amongst loads of stuff people would understand easier.

If you put ECML, unknown German route and little known Austrian route into a question most would go for ECML familiarity im sure.

I personally would read a question and click yes/no/insert comment occasionally to access the game

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Don’t think that would make much sense. People would just say yes to everything and you’ve learnt nothing. In the survey, you get a ranking of what people consider most important (all the stuff people would say yes to in your idea) and then you can factor that in during development.

Just speaking from my own perspective, I do put VR support last in every survey. But that’s not because I don’t want TSW support VR, but because I consider literally all the other options to be much more important.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chieflongshin

Thats kind of testament to my point to be fair. When you stack vr in with a list of other random features it will never be high.
    It will never make the game without someone making a demo of it for people to make an informed decision based on sight rather than "what if"

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Even then, given the situation that the world is in at the moment, even if the demo is successful, I don't see many people dropping a pretty penny for a VR headset, especially just for TSW.

Some of the lowest cost ones you would get is the old CV1, which runs about 100-200 USD.

The Quest 2 is about 400-500 USD (Though not the best option for a PC only headset.)

A full Steam Index kit runs about 1k USD on the Steam store. About the price of a decent Pc.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  8. chieflongshin

I remember paying £200 new for my quest. Since they changed the name to meta it's now £400 and I've no idea why. Agree though, those steam ones are ridiculous price and if I recollect from when I was researching a lesser spec.

The quest with a decent wifi connection is pretty awesome playing wireless on things like half life and racing sims mind you

9. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Like others here. I have a VR Headset but I didn’t put it anywhere near the top.

Too many other things that are far more important. That includes performance. In my experience any stutters in VR make me feel sick and that, to my mind, needs to be sorted out first. When TSW starts running perfectly smoothly at 60-90 fps with no stutters, then I’ll start voting for it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If there was a "flash" question - "are you interested in VR?" My answer would be yes.

However I put it last or nearly last in the survey as there are many more areas I want DTG to develop/put right first before they look at VR.

Plus personally at the moment I am not in a position to be spending money on hardware for the next six months or so.

• Like Like x 2