Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I hope one of the features of TSW3 is an English electric route that's not on the ******* Southern Region please.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Train sim web3, where every loco is an NFT only one player can own.

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Eastern region the GEML or Woodhead Line Class 76 77.
    It means Owners of Woodhead Line can use them on Dutch Routes like Amsterdam Utrecht. Connected to Hollandstrecke Duisburg Oberhausen Arnhem Utrecht Pre 2016 where it sits inside Emmerich Am Rhein Waiting for a German railtour service locomotive replacement. Same thing is said for Eindhoven Venlo Mönchengladbach Railway sit at Venlo Station then Run the German railtour service to the Netherlands. Since Class 77 is NS Dutch Railways 1500 class

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Nah, try the Nintendo NES.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Nowt wrong with the Southern Region. We don't all have Electrostars....... I mean we have Desiros and the brand new plastic crap from Derby!

Hentis :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The further west you go the more interesting it gets. Only a few steps west from Brighton and you start getting a lot more diesels including 166s (formerly 158s), 220s and so on, and of course formerly Class 50 expresses...

• Like Like x 3
  7. antony.henley

Oh yes as well as class 33/1's around Poole Bournemouth area and 33/0's on the Pompey Cardiff.
    47's, 33's or if we were really lucky a 73/1 on the inter regionals from Poole and Southampton, the odd summer special to and from Weymouth.
    The list is endless

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not to mention the Weymouth Quay line. I really want to see that in TSW, would be a Day 1 purchase for me whichever route it was appended to.

• Like Like x 2
  9. antony.henley

Yes which Dorset County council has now dug up.....

10. OldVern

Sadly, though I guess it was inevitable with the demise of "classic" rail/sea travel to the Channel Isles.

• Like Like x 1
  11. antony.henley

If its anything to go by seeing 5 class 47's through Poole (2 tnt 47 tours and Clanline tnt with a 47) last Saturday (9th) I really miss the loco hauled services we had back then through Poole. You do really take some things for granted to be honest.
    Now its just plastic 444's and 450's rubbish.
    Hentis

12. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I really hate it when people refer to modern traction as "plastic rubbish". I happen to really like those units, and I'm sure many people do. You need only look at how many people love London Commuter to see that.

It's all down to what we grew up with. I'm sure plenty of steam fans called 47s and 33s similar derogatory terms when they came out. Heck there was even partisanship when BR Standards replaced engines from the Big Four and pre grouping eras.

• Like Like x 6
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To be fair, everytime I see someone using that attitude, it just makes me not want to support requests for older traction.

The BR stuff is unpopular enough, so I’m not sure what they’re trying to achieve with their rather immature language.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ARuscoe

They're stating an opinion and preference. I am sure there are enough "new train people" who think that steam trains are decrepit kettles that should have been cut up years ago (and for the most part they were) so when I see someone using blatant language to describe something outside of their preference I tend to put "in my opinion" in front of it and get on with my life

• Like Like x 2
  15. OldVern

It is a matter of perception of course. My bashing and spotting days were firmly in the BR Classic era - 1976 to the mid 80's (when I discovered my wife!). To me a Class 150 or even 158 I even regard as "modern" traction even though they are now older than the heritage DMU's and loco hauled stock they largely replaced. Even the Voyagers are, what, 20 years old now?

Some modern stock is okay but to those of us of a certain generation they simply do not have the appeal, whether appearance, comfort or sound the older trains had. I had a trip down to Bristol Parkway yesterday (first time on a train in over 2 years!) to meet up with some retired former colleagues for a meal and a few beers. The Hitachi 800/801's look nice enough but even with the slightly refurbished interiors are uncomfortable as hell. With the white panelling and stark lighting, yes the first word that comes to mind is plastic. So far as sound is concerned, I think one of our old fashioned milk floats provided more electrothrash.

Back to the sim and of course DTG haven't helped the case by going all out with Electrostars which really have little to differentiate between each class. The 465's are okay and I do happen to like the 395 but doing any run with a 375/377/387 just kills it for me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I like the older stock as much as the newer stock, although as you said, to me newer stock is stuff like 158’s, Voyagers & 91’s, and less 700’s & IET’s.

The thing is though that I’m in no way inclined to engage in a discussion where the only goal seems to be making inflammatory remarks and instigating arguments.

Those comments just look like bashing, and It does nothing but take away from the goal of showing DTG that there is support for BR era content.

• Like Like x 2
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

To be fair I have seen plenty of derogatory comments going in the other direction.

I am a fan of the steam and up to the end of BR period, that is my main interest as I find it much more interesting and varied. I do like to have a vareity of ancient, old and modern to drive and happily drive modern routes and I quite like a lot of modern trains. However in TSC at least I have a variety of modern trains in TSW so far it has been very heavily angled towards the ex Southern region third rail routes, they do get a bit samey. Although using perjorative terms when talking about inanimate objects designed to transport goods and passengers seems a bit strange to me.

I am still not convinced that BR is that unpopular, it seems to be one of the most modelled eras in the model railway world.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  18. ARuscoe

Class 220 - in service 2001
    Class 221 - in service 2002
    Class 222 - in service 2004

This says much of what I think plays to the heart of the matter. Many "older" train fans want a big engine with loads of noise, loads of smoke (preferably claggy smoke) and basically a visceral experience. They want to FEEL the train moving their very soul as it passes them on a platform 100m away
    For new train fans they want something fast and looking great even if the seats are like ironing boards and the horn meets EU noise regulations.

Agreed, but I wouldn't abandon that kind of thing too quickly. There are still several decent routes in and around the South East where the basic shell could be used included C2C, Greater Anglia etc and these can then populate other lines in the area. Of course with whatever other trains run in the area such as London Overground...

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

Seats in modern trains are awful. I rememer a ride from Stafford to Birmingham in a class 350 and I thought never again and ride a couple of years ago on a class 800 was little better. A pile of bricks would have been more comfortable. My daily train the class 172 is little better. I suspect the designers of railway seats, main method of travel are plushly cushioned BMW's and Mercedes!

• Like Like x 3
  20. ARuscoe

I'm not sure that BR would be that unpopular per se, but I would also question whether too many people would know the difference between a class 25, class 27, class 31 and class 33... They just see "underpowered old diesel train" and that's what you're fighting. One big blue noisy box compared to another big blue noisy box
    Of course if you have two people who know the differences then they might have a different point of view

• Like Like x 1
  21. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I agree, overall the tone of these forums is pretty bad, the majority of threads usually end up heated.

More often than not, when you see a thread with multiple pages, there’s not really any conversation, it’s just an argument.

I do think that the BR era does have something to offer, otherwise why would TSW 2020 of had more than a few DLC’s set in that era.

Unfortunately most of the BR discussions here attract the same handful of users who can’t resist, throwing in “plastic rubbish” and other such terms, there’s just no need for it, and it’s certainly not going to pull in people who prefer modern traction.

• Like Like x 3
  22. james64

My own preferences for certain time periods are somewhat odd. I love modern stuff because it's what I'm familiar with, and I love steam era stuff as I'm a big steam enthusiast. That means however that anything post 1960s and pre 1995 I'm personally really not interested in.

Bringing it more on topic, if TSW3 explores new time periods I'd want to see a route set in the golden age of the big four, so around mid to late 1930s. Something like Peterborough to Doncaster/ York or Swindon to Bristol or Paddington. The other period which I think is super neglected but really interesting is just post privatisation- late 1990s into the early to mid 2000s. I think that would be a really interesting setting that DTG could explore.

• Like Like x 2
  23. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This is the era I want to see the most, for me it’s a golden age for UK rail.

It’s also a good era to produce stock for, since most of it was either in service prior to 1990, or after 2000, so we could see a decent base pool of stock that could be tweaked for other era’s.

Of course the issue would be that most lines would be dependent on at least 2 types of rolling stock, however It would only take a couple of DLC’s to give us decent options there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

I do agree about the late 90's and early 2000's. There were some good liveries, GNER and the Virgin liveried class 47's and AC electrics in particular look smart. There were still examples of modernisation plan traction working alongside the second generation of units and some of the "modern" trains like the class 170's, so yes a very interesting and under modelled era.

• Like Like x 1
  25. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Probably there is no point in arguing over the issue of preference for any era.

Personally, I take great pleasure in exploring all journeys with all types of locomotive traction.

I considered the era of steam traction less interesting, but the "spirit of steam" fascinated me a lot and I'm looking forward to new DLCs.

Insanely interesting time period of transition from steam to heat and electric traction. The first diesel locomotives and electric locomotives are some kind of ugly misunderstanding, but how interesting and exciting.

The trains of my youth (80-90) are more favorite and interesting for me. For me, design solutions for locomotives of that era are masterpieces of art. The management experience is more complex, interesting and fun. A wide variety of trains and locomotives and a dense timetable.

Modern traction is also very interesting. But there is a drawback - the rolling stock is very unified and similar in management. Its variety is limited.

I will be glad to any new route and look forward to new travels and explorations.

26. theorganist

Yes it does seem to be a bit like a tinderbox sometimes on here.

People do seem to be very partisan when it comes to their favourite eras of trains, but it is like it in many hobbies, classic car owners are very partisan and even pipe organ forums can flare up, even though most of the posters seem very mild mannered!

I just hope DTG don't decide to drop one era totally, as TSW has the potential to showcase railway history in a way not managed before so I hope it keeps a fairly even spread of eras. I would love to see something from the GWR in the 1910's and 1920's with outside framed engines and six wheeled carriages but I can't see that happening.

• Like Like x 2
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I’m hoping that we see a pacer or another sprinter soon, we would then have a decent base of varying traction for UK diesels, and if DTG persist with modern routes, we desperately need to see something that isn’t an electrostar.

I was quite hoping for Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool Lime street, but that doesn’t seem likely so soon after SoS.

Maybe another visit to Scotland would be in order, with a 156, and if it’s in the same era as CCL, then any extra ScotRail stock would be helpful for that.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed a few times are people grouping fans of older trains together. I've seen members make comments along the lines of 'you just got an old route (Spirit of Steam), you don't need another one yet' as if it'll keep all the heritage fans happy for a while simply because it's old and that's all the heritage fans want.

It is not a simple binary of old and modern, the railways underwent so many changes throughout and there are so many things that we'd all like to see, boiling routes down to simply Modern or Old completely disregards the vast range of interests we all have.

I'm not saying we need every other British route to be a pre-privatisation era one, but the idea that one every so often will be enough to keep all the heritage fans happy just simply isn't the case.

• Like Like x 1
  29. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

TBH I don't care what era we get for the next UK route. All I ask - no all I beg is that the route doesn't start or finish in London and is preferably north of the Watford Gap

• Like Like x 3
  30. Tank621

Yeah, I feel like something different is a fairly unifying request for the next UK route, there's plenty of options out there, (depending on licensing of course). A BR era route in a new region, or a modern route with a new train operator and different trains will be rather popular I feel.

• Like Like x 1
  31. theorganist

A Pacer could serve two purposes, one on the new route and a reskinned version for TVL assuming it was a 143 or possibly a 142.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wherry lines as in TSC with a class 156 and of course the semaphore signalling or something like Newcastle to Carlisle although that is more of a length.

But yes, I agree, something non Electrostar this time please whether ancient or modern.

• Like Like x 2
  32. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

I know it seems they are not popular, but a BR loco of some kind would be my preference. Would love to see a route with the 86 or 87. I used to travel from Sheffield to Crewe just to see those. The "peaks" around Sheffield got samey after a while.
    Doncaster to York with a Deltic included would be nice.
    Would also like to see a class 50 somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  33. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I have such thoughts. I see three user groups:
    1. The main consumer of the DTG product is the young community and they want to get a simulation of the modern, what they see and want.
    2. a smaller, older part of the community, is nostalgic and wants to remember the past, but does not mind trying something else. DTG gives us such products, but in a smaller volume. There are fewer such people, and this is normal.
    3. Absolute enthusiasts, lovers of history and everything related to the railway. They are interested in everything. They like everything.

I think there is no reason to complain. Available released content is for every taste. And there will be more in the future. If someone is missing something, you just need to have a little patience.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Princess Entrapta

I see this as an oversimplification. A lot of young people are very much interested in the stuff they never got to experience, because it was already gone by the time they are old enough to remember. Steam trains were very much the thing my generation were into back when we were well into the diesel era of British Rail, and still waiting for the electrification of the ECML to come past York. Often this is the appeal of sims to them, as a way of experiencing a time they missed out on.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Tank621

Oh yeah, I was born after privatisation happened but my real passion period for my local line, the GEML is in the sectorisation era. Though I am at heart a historian and always will be.

I definitely wouldn't class myself who is an enthusiast of everything railway related in the UK but for the areas I'm passionate about, I definitely often favour a historical representation.

• Like Like x 1
  36. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Nostalgia can be a very big seller,

But everyone's version is slightly different,
    for me it's my childhood growing up in Germany in the 80's, so the BR103, 111, 120 etc, with the TEE services, silberling coaches and all that.

Stuff that is no longer around outside museums or preserved railways (are there any German preserved railways that run the old electric loco's?)

• Like Like x 2
  37. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

Old electric Locos are in Museums- Nürnberg, Koblenz.Run at Railpool,EGP and another Companys.This is in German Language-Gebrauchte Locs(Used Locos) from DB.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

What is it with the U.K and "iron board" seats? In the U.S, modern commuter rail and new trains tend to have quite comfortable seats. The Bombardier M9 EMU seats on the LIRR for instance is quite comfortable and that train went into service in 2018-2019 I think. The New coaches that Amtrak has received for some of it's lines are also comfortable. NJ transit has quite confortable seats as well and you could refer these trains as "modern plastic rubbish" so the notion that modern trains are uncomfortable in the U.S at least is just false.

But why in the U.K are the seats so uncomfortable? Does it have something to do with cost

• Like Like x 2
  39. Princess Entrapta

I ADORED every time I got to take a trip down to York to the railway museum. First on 125s, and later on 225s, to see all the stuff that preceded my lifetime, the things I couldn't ride on the line.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Princess Entrapta

Basically it was down to a bunch of cheap stopgap rolling stock being introduced to meet demand while something better was developed, and then all the actual development stopping for three decades. :p

• Like Like x 2
  41. Tank621

Because for some reason the Department for Transport insisted on them

• Like Like x 1
  42. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I may have to go visit those museums while I'm there.

Cheers

43. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

UK modern trains are uncomfortable and often cramped with little leg room. Whilst the seats is down to the DFT, the lack of leg room is definitely due to TOCs trying to maximise profits. I could understand this on Lumo but when you are paying upwards of £100 on some services its just not acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  44. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

More likely due to the little b'stards who get a thrill out of running their knife blades over the nicely upholstered seats a few times,
    In the uk it was a problem that seem'd to come and go, times were that the driver would walk through the DMU at the end of his shift to find every single seat slashed to ribbons.

Still happens in modern times in europe unfortunately, so that's often the reason a lot of european S and U bahn trains have the plastic seat frame with a bit of cloth glued on... the hardest hit areas don't even bother with the cloth.

And since the firms found a way to get marker pen and spray type graffiti off the walls easily, the vandals scratch their stupid tags into the windows instead.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Can highly recommend Koblenz-Lützel. I was there just a few weeks ago. Their collection of vintage electric locos is truly fascinating.

• Like Like x 5
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Safety standards mainly. Fire safety and crash worthiness standards.

• Like Like x 3
  47. james64

I can't wait for the premiere TSW3 route to be something like West Coastway from Brighton to Portsmouth with the 377 (still with the old sounds), and the 313 if we're lucky.

There's lots of routes in the Southern Region I and many others would like to see, but now really isn't the time with sooo many routes already centred around that. We're still waiting on a Welsh route, or something modern that's North of London (excluding Cathcart as that's in Scotland, and in terms of gameplay and feel is still pretty similar to the existing commuter centric routes).

Likewise, if they're gonna do another BR Blue era route I'd rather it be something focused on electric traction (AC Locos or multiple units), and not another diesel focused route in the industrial North of England. One thing I hope TSW3 would improve upon is the variety of locales.

• Like Like x 3
  48. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Northern England Woodhead Line also fits too.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The British being cheap? I thought being cheap was exclusive to the U.S ;)

• Like Like x 2
  50. james64

I'm personally of the opinion that while the "iron board" seats are far from ideal, I do think the hatred is overblown. I've actually met a few people who don't mind them at all. As for me, I don't think they're much worse than what came before.

Like the 800 seats (not iron boards but they come under the same criticism) aren't exactly comfortable, but I didn't think the HST seats were the heights of luxury either.

• Like Like x 2