Tvm Not Working Correctly When Approaching A Red Signal?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DEXCON, Sep 17, 2022.

1. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

Hello everyone,

When playing the 1J13 (class 395) service from Margate to St Pancras Int'l on my PC, I encounterd a big issue with the TVM signaling station. When I drove towards Stratford, the TVM was working fine I think. However there was another 395 in the station so when I got towards the end of the tunnel, I had to brake from 170 km/h to 0. I put on the max brake but was not able to make it in time. I can't imagine train drivers to go full emergency everytime they have to stop for a red signal. So does anybody know if this is a bug or do I really need to go emergency?

After some research there is a similar problem with the TGV route so I'm still posting this to raise the issue again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

3. Slowing down when approaching a station is standard practice for a train driver. 170kmh approaching Stratford Station is a bit too fast.

4. jrhorse98

jrhorse98 New Member

I encountered the same issue on a trip that I took towards St. Pancras. When I entered Stratford, the TVM went from 130 down to 0 immediately and I too had no room to stop. This doesn't seem right to me, as I was arriving into Stratford one minute before the timetabled arrival time to see another Javelin parked on the platform.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  5. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

I don't know if the system is implemented correctly on the route but a general rule I follow is if the speed indicator continues to blink I keep braking. let's say 170 km/h blinking after reaching the speed I keep braking let's say to 130 Km/h. One thing that notice is that there's 3 speed indication areas on the painel --- --- --- if the last 3 digits are blinking, the next restriction is to stop (000 over red). So for example you have a speed indication like this:

--- 170 --- (170 is blinking) you have to reach this speed before the end of the block and as soon as you reach it you keep braking maybe with less brake pressure.

You've reached the end of the block and now the painel show:

--- --- 170 <-- blinking you have to keep braking on the 395 close to 60-70% brake application.

But the thing is when you get this new indication, you're already below 170 and braking... so the only thing you have todo is apply the right brake pressure to stop on time.

Sorry for my English but that is how I managed to not get a SPAD when this happens. Don't know weather or not it's right.

6. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

7. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

The answer is: it's a little bit complicated. But it can be normal for TVM to show 170 and then STOP.
    I will let you translate this:

"Indication d'annonce d'arrêt"

[​IMG]

"Cette indication commande au conducteur de s'arrêter avant le premier repère rencontré. Elle peut être présentée après une limitation de vitesse à 080 (indications 80cli ou 80E cli) mais aussi après une limitation de vitesse à 170 (indication 170 cli ou 170E cli),"

https://lesiteferroviaire.pagesperso-orange.fr/TVM 430.htm

The breaking curve in this case would be as follow:

[​IMG]

For a beginner I would say that if you see 170 flashing, assume 0 next.

As linked by someone else this thread also discusses the occurrence: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tvm-is-a-buggy-mess.32654/