Ue 4.26 Distance Field Shadows Feature

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I haven't done anything on engine.ini, and I also have no mods installed.

It doesn't feel like it's been applied to Munich - when the update first came out I did a run on it and the shadows were still quite close, and it was very noticeable too.

2. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Looks like I should have a look at RSN at good weather conditions. After the update to 4.26 I spent most of the time on HRR where I couldn't notice an improvement.

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

20210826124601_1.jpg 20210826124605_1.jpg 20210826124609_1.jpg
    Actually, it doesn't appear to be DFS - I used to have shadows on low, but the optimisation from the update has allowed me to put them on high, so I think that's what's making me think DFS is on when it isn't.

4. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

If what I can see on the picture with the High-settings is the most far shadow drawing distance, it's for my taste still way too close to the player. Hopefully enabled DFS will bring a better result. If it will ever be possible to be enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

all the commands that i'm using DO WORK and you can test it by using UUU and using the console to input the commands and you see the changes in real time, i tried several cmds that didnt work and before putting something on the ini i make sure to use the console and see if do or dont do something

6. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

A number of commands work on the Unreal Unlocker console but not in the .ini file, the FOV being an example. Additionally, r.ViewDistanceScale=1 is the default setting.

I tried your list out of curiosity and in all honesty it made my game look significantly worse. The one command that does make a huge difference, the foliageLOD, you haven’t used. I’d highly recommend that one FWIW.

On your list the commands that disable default features do work, as do adjustments to things like bloom and LODs. The rest are largely placebo and if they do make any difference at all it is almost imperceptible and absolutely not worth the performance overhead they incur. Things that worked or made a difference in 4.23 likely don’t work the same way in 4.26, the shadow & AA commands being examples. With your settings the flickering at 4K Ultra & 100% screen percentage is significantly worse than the default.

It’s each to their own and if you feel it looks better the great. I’m just saying that a significant number of commands that people have in their .ini files are just not doing anything. The original guide made by pschlik concentrated on the things that do make a difference and was written for the original game. Some of that is now obsolete and the effect of many of the commands suggested on these forums (some admittedly by me) are very questionable indeed.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Yes i know, still i prefer have some sort of control that i'm aware of it with that cmd

still looking onto the foliageLOD didnt put in the ini since still testing and looking for a decent number
    also dont asume that everyone have the pc to run the game at 4k, i adjust the setting to what i have as hardware and for me the game looks much better and gained almost 20% performance gain without mention that using DX12 boost the FPS by a 50%

Anyways i will check those list of settings from those forum users, i invite you to the TSC discord ( several of the DTG devs are there ) and discuss the settings there

8. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

If you’re looking for a number then 4 is fine, you certainly don’t need more than 5.

Even DX12 is not the magic bullet it was pre-4.26. There is no longer the same noticeably poor performance in the busy areas I’ve had chance to try in 4.26, Boston being one where I’m getting a capped 60fps using DX11.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  9. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Is there any fine chappy working on a 'good' ini file for 4.26?
    I'm interested to see how my RTX 3060 OC 12GB can deal with graphics improvements.
    Currently running Ultra game settings, 100% scaling, capped at 60fps for my 1080p monitor.
    TIA

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

For me, I have now disabled the -dx12 Steam Launcher command for TSW 2, as it was giving me significant performance issues post 4.26 update. The game now runs significantly smoother on its native DX platform.

11. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Taking out the -DX12 lost me a few fps. I suspect the effect depends on the balance between CPU and GPU speed for each particular PC. My rig can't cope with foliageLOD of 4, it halves the frame rate :(

12. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

foliageLOD of 5 fps-20

13. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Which may be fine if you're starting from 120fps, not so good if you start with only 40fps.

• Like Like x 2
  14. trainside

trainside New Member

15. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i play tsw2 no problem NVIDIA SET AA 16X SLI ASS 16X SLI GAME SET SCREEN 150% AII SET ULTRAHING FPS 45-100

r.ViewDistanceScale=1
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-5
    r.BloomQuality=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.5
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=7
    r.HighQualityLightMaps=1
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
    r.MaxAnisotropy=16
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASharpness=1.0
    r.TemporalAASamples=64
    r.TemporalAAFilterSize=1.0
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.ToneMapper.Sharpen=1

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

yeah foliage even on high settings is kinda bad, you can compensate by reducing the amount with foliage.DensityScale=0.6 i picked 0.6 cuz will not cut all the vegetation but just a bit, you will see more clearly houses, parking lots, buildings and other objects that near you that normally is all mostly covered with vegetation otherwise, also reducing the densityscale you will gain a few FPS