PC Unreal Engine Lighting

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 22, 2018.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

So apparently this is 'summer cloudy' at 15:30..?

First of all, why are the station lights on and why does it look so overly dark in the station area with shadows overdoing everything? Just look at the bridge.

2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

TSW_Josh_1521748597_00.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember people raving about the lighting effects possible on UE4, well I'm not overly impressed in what I've seen in TSW, infact, is there really any difference to that of TSxxxx in terms of lighting? If so, I ain't noticing it!

4. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Ya, the lighting in TSW is not very good at all. It is more vibrant and dynamic than TS, but incorrect so much of the time. I don't know if this is a UE4 engine issue, or because it isn't being implemented properly by DTG, but it is one of the most underwhelming (or often overwhelming) aspects of TSW in my opinion.

Engine headlights that are horribly bright when looking at them (and causing major shinny reflections all along the engines as if the engines are see through), but don't throw far enough in front of the engine to see the rails ahead, the excessively bright sun rise/sunset red that can filter through mountains and the walls of the engine cabs, shadows that don't match the position of the sun sometimes, colors seem off or under/oversaturated in some places. The lighting just isn't realistic looking in most places.

The new baked in lighting in some places, though, looks better, and helps with the frame rate. That is found in the underground stations like NY Penn and the RT underground stations. But sadly, that isn't actually lighting, it is judicious application of textures. I mean, it's good, but it isn't a technique they can use in all the other places where it really matters like outside.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2