Up Martinez Subdivision Oakland-roseville Ca

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mrrando19, Jan 18, 2022.

1. mrrando19

mrrando19 Member

So why the Martinez subdivision?
    The Martinez subdivision while not a challenging railroad to cross is very special with the amount of services on the line both passenger and especially freight. Being the start of Union Pacifics Overland Route the line sees a lot of local and mainline freight. The route also has a ton of history going through Sacramento and Roseville being 2 major current and historic rail hubs in CA because of the first trancon railroad in the 1860's. Mainline freight usually being intermodal and autoracks. Local freights usually consist of tanker cars from the Benicia and Martinez power stations. A healthy amount of manifest trains also run on the line along with covered hoppers filled with various crops.. The line as a whole starts in Oakland at the Port of Oakland and Jack London Square Amtrak station. In Oakland there is Amtrak's maintenance facility and UP's intermodal facility at the port. The route from Oakland heads north towards the Sacramento River Delta where it passes the Martinez refinery. It then crosses the delta and passes the Benicia refinery before turning east to Sacramento. The line then runs at 70mph for freight/79mph for passenger all the way to the Sacramento river over the flat picturesque CA Central Valley. The line then crosses the Sacramento river and passes Sacramento Valley Station and finally makes to way to UP Davis yard in Roseville where it ends. So in total plus possible small tracks servicing local industries the length comes out to 110mi (173km).
    Here is a map of the route:
    [​IMG]

Now lets talk about freight services on the route.
    Being a part of Union Pacific's transcon to Chicago the line is very busy. The intermodal facility in Oakland can play a part in loading scenarios: that freight can then be run up to Roseville and vice-versa. There is an autorack facility in Benicia where you load cars there and take them up and down the line to either Oakland or Roseville. Tanker senarios can take place in Oakland, Sacramento port, Martinez and Benicia refineries. Grain operations take place at the Benicia port where grain is offloaded onto ships and in Roseville or Dixon where grain can be loaded. And all mainline operations would end in Roseville or Oakland.

Next up passenger services.
    The only passenger operator is Amtrak. Amtrak operates about 35 daily services between Oakland to Martinez and than the majority go to Sacramento and 4 service's continue to Roseville. The 4 Amtrak services that operate on the line are the mighty California Zephyr has its start in Emeryville, Coast Starlight passes through from Oakland to Sacramento Valley Station but the thing that makes Coast Starlight differnt to the Zephyr is it operates at night and during sunrise. Capitol Corridor operates the entire route, and the San Joaquins Operates from Oakland to Martinez before heading onto the BNSF line. Several scenarios could be made with Amtrak including forming a consist at the Amtrak facility in Oakland and rescue trains.

Now to the rolling stock for UP and the freight services.
    I thin the route should come standard with 3 locos, the ET44AC:[​IMG]
    the SD70M:[​IMG]
    And finally the GP60:[​IMG]
    And of course hopefully layers from Cane creek and Sherman Hill. We all know what Intermodal and autoracks look like so I won't be posting pictures of them here but as I said before that's the type of freight plus manifests and tankers that you'll see on the route.

Now for Amtrak's rolling stock. The California Zephyr and Coast Starlight both have almost the same rolling stock with both using a pair P42's and normal superliner consist but Coast Starlight has the Addition of the "Pacific Parlor" car:
    [​IMG]
    Capitol Corridor and San Jaoquins both use the F59phi and sc44 charger however I am only suggesting the sc44 as the f59's are being phased out.
    [​IMG]
    Capitol Corridor SC44 charger. The only difference between Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins is that Capitol Corridor runs with one more coach car than San Joaquins.

Now for cool sights along the route.
    [​IMG]
    Jack London station in Oakland is unique because not only is it in the heart of downtown but as you pull out of the station you have 1/3mi running on the street.
    [​IMG]
    Port of Oakland with UP's intermodal facility.
    [​IMG]
    Martinez refinery.
    [​IMG]
    Benicia-Martinez Bridge crossing the delta with the Zephyr.
    [​IMG]
    Much of the route his high speed running through the stunning Central Valley
    [​IMG]
    The I Street Bridge crossing the Sacramento River entering Sacramento.
    [​IMG]
    Sacramento Valley Station
    [​IMG]
    Davis yard in Roseville

I would love to see this route in TSW2 because of the history it has, the amount of services it has being it would be the first route using the P42 and having a long distance Amtrak train. The route while not geographically challenging is different because it's high speed running through a valley, something we haven't really had before. In conclusion I can't state how much I would love to see this route and how amazing and cool it is and I hope it comes to TSW2. Thank for reading my suggestion and have a good day!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The street running in Oakland sold me on it's own. How awesome would that be?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'm sold, too. The Chargers and P42DC Genesis units are a must in game, as well as a UP C45AH (ET44AC) or C45ACCTE (ES44AC), SD70M, SD70ACe-T4, SD60M, SD90-43MAC, GP40-2, and/or GP60. The AC4400CW (Cane Creek), SD40-2 (Sherman Hill), and GP38-2 (Peninsula Corridor) could also be layered on the route for further operations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kjeld.dejager

kjeld.dejager Active Member

i am sold i want a route what is really long where we can drive