Uploading Assets To The Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tomas9970, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I know that uploading assets to the Steam workshop is disabled to prevent people from uploading third party routes but I think that I have a solution to that.
    A person that tries to upload a route to the Steam workshop will have to verify the ownership of any unrecognized asset package by having it's source files. When the workshop uploader finds an unrecognized asset package, it will try to recompile it from it's source files and upload the recompiled version of it. If this fails (person doesn't have the source files), the route won't get uploaded.

Please tell me what you think about the idea because this is still kind of a hot topic when it comes to route building and stuff.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Uploading to a third party website might be easier but not preferable especially when it comes to updating. Also some people really don't want to download anything that's not from the Steam workshop.
    It's a tradeoff between being able to upload to a better platform and being able to use custom assets. I of course want both of these and that's why I'm writing this request.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Then they don't want third party stuff... Good thing about that is they'll never have a missing consist, bad thing is they'll be limited to only about 200 scenarios...

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think you would be better asking Steam because the Workshop is not under DTG's control.

Peter