Walt Disney

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cruzmac, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Cruzmac

Cruzmac New Member

I think if would be amazing to drive the steam trains at the Disney park. Either or. Walt Disney world or Disneyland. They could also add the Monorails that run around in both parks. I know the routes wouldn’t be long since it’s a small circle and the monorails would be longer but i think it would be a fun addition. I do love the trains and Disney as well

• Like Like x 1
  2. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Something like this sounds very unlikely. I imagine the time and money needed to be spent in acquiring a license to do something like this wouldn't be worth it. That being said .. I don't hate this idea. I think it's incredibly unique and would honestly not mind trying it out ..

• Like Like x 1
  3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Only after DTG gets bought out by Disney in order to get the licensing rights to even think that Disney exists. Seriously, Disney are complete buttholes about copyright and would never ever let this happen without laughing, then telling someone to throw a couple of bucks at DTG then buy them out for daring to even come near to their omnipotence. Plus, it would also be a pain to make. Literally every single building is unique, adding ages and ages onto dev time. Would be more practical just to go on vacation there in person.

• Like Like x 4
  4. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Would probably cost DTG a fortune and then some, to get a license from Disney, haha. It's as pschlik puts it, above.

5. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

This would be a hell of a lot of 3D Modelling for a very short route that is just a circle with a depot.
    And with all the Licencing this is very unrealistic as an official route.. Maybe someone wants to do this as a hobby-project.

6. Cruzmac

Cruzmac New Member

No i understand it most likely won’t happen and the time and effort to put into would be a lot. I just think it’d be a cool idea.

7. shores_richard

shores_richard New Member

I was invited by Disney management years ago to take a cab ride in the Lilly Belle around the magic Kingdom at WDW, viwith some instruction behind the throttle. That was a great experience!

There may still be the "Behind The Scenes Tour" where you can visit the locomotive shops and Monorail shops by switching off the mainline at the northeast corner of the park. You ride the first be the of the day. They ask for volunteers to be the conductor, and the switchman/brakeman. Most people are scared to volunteer. Since I threw switches for the FEC in Hialeah yard, I switched the tour to the WDW locomotive shops.

Getting approval from Disney to use their logos is VERY difficult. The WDW monorails to and from Epcot and the Magic Kingdom have been constructed by independent route builders and reskinners.

Living in Florida, I have been an FEC, CSX, NASA and Disney fan most of my life. Here is a funny Disney story that most people never heard:

Many years after Walt's death, (his widow Lillian Disney) called an employee working at Disney's Florida headquarters. Some items used within the parks were actually owned by Lillian Disney, and were on loan, until she needed them. She called requesting the return of the Lilly Belle locomotive that Walt had named after her. The employee asked where she would like it delivered to. She told him to have it crated, and sent to her current residence. She told the employee to have them leave it in the driveway up by the garage.

The employee conveyed this message to his supervisor.who had a stunned look on his face. Lillian Disney had some interesting requests before, but the Lilly Belle locomotive is a 1928 Baldwin 2-6-0 in 36" gauge that takes guest on rides around the perimeter of the Magic Kingdom. How where they going to crate it? Would it fit in Mrs. Disney's Driveway?

Fortunately, before the packing began, another employee mentioned that there was a 1-1/2" scale (1/8th size) locomotive on display at the Walt Disney Story. It was about six feet long, and weighed a few hundred pounds. It was named the Lilly Belle. Walt had it built many years ago for his backyard railroad when they lived on Carolwood Drive.

Sometimes asking the right questions to the right people can save you from a major embarrassment.

Richard

• Like Like x 1