Wcml: Crewe To Rugby (modern Day)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dingrawd, Nov 13, 2023.

1. dingrawd

dingrawd Member

The route is Crewe to Rugby via Tamworth during modern times.

dadjapu-cc5bce2e-8943-4ed5-83a2-647eb006fa7f copy.jpg
    (Photo of 66021 at Stafford South Jnc 13/07/16)

Route length
    Crewe to Rugby (75.4 miles)

Services

Here's an example of a London Northwestern Railway (WMR) service towards London Euston (1U38)
    1hr 13 min (7 stops)​
    Crewe 16:13 - Stafford 16:32 - Rugeley Trent Valley 16:42 - Lichfield Trent Valley 16:49 - Tamworth 16:56 - Atherstone 17:04 - Nuneaton 17:11 - Rugby 17:27 ​

Here's an example of a London Northwestern Railway (WMR) service towards Crewe (1U29)
    1hr 12 min (7 stops)​
    Rugby 10:42 - Nuneaton 10:57 - Atherstone 11:03 - Tamworth 11:11 - Lichfield Trent Valley 11:18 - Rugeley Trent Valley 11:25 - Stafford 11:35 - Crewe 11:54​

Passenger units/locomotives
    Siemens Class 350 'Desiro'

(London Northwestern Railway)
    350246_by_dingrawd_d9v514x-414w-2x.jpg
    (Photo taken 08/03/16 at Nuneaton)

Alstom Class 390 'Pendolino'
    (Avanti)
    390043_by_dingrawd_d8r4oj1-414w-2x.jpg
    (Photo taken 06/03/16 at Tamworth)

BREL Class 90
    (DB Cargo)
    dax11v5-ed0a5969-c598-4a8b-9fe5-69c82a872fb2.jpg
    (Photo taken 26/01/17 at Nuneaton)

EMD/GM Class 66
    (DB Cargo)
    66034_by_dingrawd_dadigjw-414w-2x.jpg
    (Photo taken 13/07/16 at Stafford)

The route would also include Crewe Basford Hall and Daventry Int Rft Recep Rfd.

• Like Like x 19
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly support such a suggestion. The stopping services to Crewe no longer go via Stoke-on-Trent so ending here makes more sense unlike the TSC equivalent ending at Stafford. The Class 350 and Class 390 are frequently requested and could layer back onto BCC and the Glossop line. You could also have Class 323 AI layers at Crewe (Northern) and Lichfield TV (WMT). Maybe include the Class 66 and Class 90 in Freightliner livery as to have a different freight operator for a change?

• Like Like x 6
  3. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Love this suggestion! Some of my favourite English locos in their best liveries imo! Fantastic suggestion! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Migsithepigsi

Migsithepigsi Active Member

Loving this suggestion, hopefully there could be an extension or a seperate pack towards Euston, since the bakerloo Line kinda laid out most of the foundations anyway

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  5. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Brilliant suggestion, I think it is about time that the WCML comes into the TSW franchise and I think that a route of this length and nature would work similarly to ECML where you have a variety in services and service lengths as well :)

I would personally like this route because it will have my favourite EMU with my favourite livery on it as well :love:

The Class 66 would be layered in from many routes like GWE (Great Western Express), ECW (East Coastway), SEHS (Southeastern High Speed) or ECML (East Coast Main Line) and even the ones from Engineering Express on Edinburgh-Glasgow would layer onto this one too ;)

• Like Like x 3
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You're missing some of the known trains the Class 92 325 Royal Mail. Bonus if this came with the 325 go to Bakerloo Line Willisden Junction Area the Class 325 is there because that's the Royal mail depot. For the Class 92 it needs Mk5 Caledonian sleeper carriages

• Like Like x 1
  7. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

And for loco dlc a 221 or an 805/807

• Like Like x 1
  8. 6233Jess

6233Jess Well-Known Member

Would love to see this. Although the stopping services no longer go via Stoke, I think that loop should still be added as it could open up a variety of services.

Should a 220/221 come to the game, it could be used between Stafford and Stoke on the Manchester services. Likewise if we ever see a Class 390, could also be used on the Piccadilly services.

The Midland Mainline 158 could layer in between Stoke and Crewe on the Derby - Crewe services.

Or quite simply, the route could be set back when the stopping services did run via Stoke, and have the direct Stafford to Crewe line for the Pendolinos & freight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. British rail fan

British rail fan Member

I think this could be the best route to add I love travelling on it and I'd love to drive a 390 or 350. If this was set in early 2010s you could probably have freightliner coal trains heading to Rugeley Power Station and if you include the chase line (very unlikely) You could have a 170 and 153 coupled up to Birmingham New Street

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. pepsiman

pepsiman Member

Yes this would be great!
    The 350 390 and 90 would be a great addon and the 90 could be used on the ecml too, It is likely a 66 will be layered from a different route then an extra train as 3 is already more then usual.

• Like Like x 1
  11. flirt745

flirt745 Active Member

Excellent suggestion. Would be good to have a section of the WCML in Train Sim World. Having the Class 90 would be excellent too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Love the Class 90 but is there any fright loco that could replace the 66? Unless it comes as a layer I don't fancy adding another 66 into the long list we’re already got

• Like Like x 3
  13. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

You could have a Class 70 in Freightliner livery as they occasionally run along the WCML :)

Plus, the Class 90 has been suggested so that would add a bit of variety to freight traffic on the route ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. LPgaming

LPgaming New Member

The problem with Trent Valley in TSW is what do you drive, 1no class 350 each way an hour other than that it would be freight, 390’s and voyagers are pointless because they rarely stop so would be 95% AI only, it’s why we got Peterborough to Donny rather than King’s Cross to Peterborough, things like Trent valley in TSW need to part of a much bigger route like an extension which is not currently possible in TSW so not saying never but I think it could be some time before we see Trent Valley

• Like Like x 2
  15. dingrawd

dingrawd Member

I'm not too sure if Dovetail Games has any licensing agreement with another freight operating company (FOC) such as Freightliner, DRS or GBRf for example that does run down the WCML. I know they work well with DB Cargo, hence I mentioned the same old Class 66, but also the Class 90.

16. AirbourneAlex

DRS is being featured in Rivet's upcoming engineering gameplay pack thingy for Edinburgh to Glasgow. The ONE livery is also a freightliner locomotive, and has Freightliner safety decals on the cab sides. Both brands also appear in TSC so that's usually a good indication whether a license can be obtained or not.
    That doesn't make sense really, as all services that call at Peterborough would also terminate at King's Cross, so going south you would have a similar quantity of services. The southern section also has more variety of traffic with Great Northern and Thameslink, rather than just A to B with LNER.

In the case of Trent Valley, there's certainly more than 5% of services calling at two or more stops on this segment. Even if the odd few services needed an extra fictious stop for playability then that's totally fine with me, after all you would barely notice it.

17. shredder

shredder Member

Top idea, and it’s not easy to nail down the perfect stretch of WCML to include in a game like this, but no matter what there’ll always be problems to address..

although adding the 390 makes absolute sense, how many of those services will call both at Rugby and/or Stafford and Crewe?

Or, which 390 services are actually playable on this stretch. The Birmingham services are obviously pointless.. but the Manchester ones? Do the ‘via Stoke’ services call at Stafford or Nuneaton, Tamworth or Lichfield? The Liverpool ones all call at Crewe, right.. but do they stop at Rugby?

Could it all be avoided by loading into already travelling services? That would make the most sense to overcome this timetable headache.

18. LPgaming

LPgaming New Member

what I meant is if you have the azuma and Peterborough to King’s Cross all those stations inbetween are not useable, DTG would not release a route where they’ve made all these stations but the route has no trains come with it for players to be able to stop at them it’s why the Tsc version came with the 365, granted we have the 700 but they wouldn’t release a route knowing you had to have a further DLC to make it worthwhile

regarding the TV stopping patterns when it comes to Avanti I think my figure of around 95% not having more than one stop is pretty accurate but I’m happy to be proven wrong

Either way all I tried to say is as part of a dev team I can gurantee you there’s too many issues with this route for it to be released as stand alone currently and it may be some years before you see it

19. AirbourneAlex

The logical thing to do there would have been to include the Class 700/1 subclass and or Class 387/1, or even the Class 365 if set pre-2019 when the majority of Peterborough stopping services ran into King's Cross under Great Northern (rather than through the Thameslink core onto Brighton with Thameslink). Doesn't really matter now anyway as we've got Peterborough to Doncaster instead and I can't see DTG revisiting the ECML so soon.

In that case the only WCML routes you could make would be London Euston to Birmingham New Street (which we know is likely too ambitious) or anything north of Preston splitting at Carlisle. IMO the TSC equivalent is an enjoyable route and I wouldn't mind having a few express services making additional stops for the added playability if it means we can get the Trent Valley.

20. Beduth

Beduth Member

21. Beduth

Beduth Member

I’d love to see this route , Nuneaton is my local main line station , ( Bedworth my local station ) as well as passenger service there is plenty of freight passing through.