Wcml North - Class 86 Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by chymor, Dec 11, 2018.

1. chymor

chymor New Member

WCML North runs fine with the Class 47, but the scenarios using the Class 86 have a problem. When I apply the power, the engine barely moves. The throttle only has settings for 3%, 67% and 100%.
    I purchased the Class 86 Loco add on from Steam - but no luck.
    Also, there is no logo for the Class 86 Inter City Executive.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The class 8x locos don't use a linear throttle, instead using a "tap" method of power application.

The basics of it are:-

To start the loco move the power handle into the "centre", ie 60% on the standard display
    You then "tap" the a key to add a little bit of power. Keep "tapping" the a key and more and more power will be added.

To see how much power is being applied look at the front console (where the speedo and brake gauges are) and look to the right. There are two meters which are coloured green, yellow red from bottom to top. These show the traction motor power. To the right of this are two black dials, don't remember what the left hand one does but the right hand shows the ACTUAL power being applied

So, you're moving, you keep tapping a and you find those coloured bars slipping into the yellow or even the red. This means you're OVERpowered and likely to burn out the motors or wheelslip

When you reach approx 35-40 mph you can shift the tap lever to "wind up" or 100%. This will effectively auto-tap the lever and you will notice the applied power meter rising on it's own accord

You can also "tap-down", which means tapping d when at 60%, and this will reduce the actual power applied. Using this method you can really accurately balance the power to maintain speed, only increasing or decreasing to account for gradient.

Remember, to slow the loco down you not only have to apply the brakes, but also cut the actual power by tapping down. On one loco in the series there is a wind-down (constant tap down application) which from memory is at 20% but I've only seen this once, and can't remember which one it is

BE CAREFUL!
    If you accidentally hold the d key by mistake you can shift to 2% or 0%. 2% shuts all power off but doesn't terminate the engine. It doesn't wind down either.
    If you accidentally hit 0% you will terminate the engine and the ONLY way to restart is to get the applied power to 0%.
    To do this drop the pantograph (P key), shut off the engine key (Z key), go back to tap and repeatedly spam the d key until the applied power hits 0%
    Then raise the pantograph, restart the engine and tap back up to whatever power you need.

I hope this helps.
    Once I'd gotten used to this method of control, I really started to enjoy driving this unit! Do also be aware that the scenario "Polmadie Hop" seems to be broken, with an unavoidable AI crash...

3. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Once you’ve mastered it, and it doesn’t take long, it’s a really interesting loco to drive. The Armstrong Powerhouse sound pack for the 86/87 is well worth the money as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  5. ARuscoe

It comes with the ECML North route, but the logo for it doesn't load

6. ARuscoe

Sorry, WCML

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Great explanation. I think the 86 is one of those where you have to wait for the resistances needle to fall back to zero, before you can restart with the tap changing handle.

9. ARuscoe

If you move the handle to OFF then you can't apply power again until the resistors hit zero, yup
    Other than that you're usually ok

10. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Usually you are ok with a light tap on A or D, I think one variant (the AP?) suggests holding U+A/D, but if you are quick, it’ll tap with A or D instead of going into run up or run down.

11. ARuscoe

One of the versions doesn't have a run down, or if it does it's at 2% on the HUD, ie so close you can easily put it into OFF and then you have to allow the power to run down before you can start again powering up

12. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

tap indicator.jpg tap changer at zero fault resetjpg.jpg The main thing with a restart - is to ensure that the 'tap indicator' is at zero - BEFORE you do any fault resetting. It can take a while for this to happen.

tap changer at zero fault resetjpg.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2