PlayStation Well, How Is Isle Of Wight?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Valdez, Oct 15, 2020.

1. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this is just wrong.

The texture/LOD/geometry issues are very, very obviously a technical issue/bug and not a design decision for the PS4. It is juvenile to truly believe otherwise. Xbox and PC do not have the issue. I will certainly get sorted out.

As for why the difference in overall visual fidelity...come on. Even a moderate modern gaming PC is more powerful than the rather dated PS4. Any time a game is released multi-platform it looks better on PC due to the ability to manipulate graphics settings to take advantage of more powerful hardware. I'm sure the PS5 version will look much closer to PC when it eventually comes out...for a bit. PC will continue to go through 2 year GPU cycles and consoles will fall behind again until another generation jump in 6 years or whatever.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

could I trouble you share what station this path is near? I’m stuck on 39/40 collectibles. Cheers :)

3. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

But you do understand that this is the posters opinion? They *feel* like it is unfair - so who is to say that’s wrong for them? The facts are they’ve paid more for a product that presently is inferior.

Consider that only yesterday we were told that console players of München Augsburg would not have the full experience due to technical limitations, and today console players get a release which either has an obvious and unexpected technical limitation or, shall we say politely, less care and attention to testing than would be ideal. Yes, I hope the PS4 issue is an oversight and can be fixed, but if that is the case we’ll always come back to “why ship it like that?”

edited to add: It’s probably not going to add much to the conversation to continue with this so I’ll leave it with this:- The route looks nice on the PC, and lots of people like it. Some others are disappointed. I watched the streams last night to decide whether to upgrade to TSW2 from TSW2020 and possibly the Island Line, as I have nice family memories of that route. The first stream I saw put me in the disappointed category, it wasn’t up to the standards I was expecting (releases like TVL and ECW had made me more optimistic about TSW content). I hope they fix the issues, and everybody who has the route will continue to enjoy it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

1.) Telling DTG you're happy to put up with crap products so long as they're cheaper is a really bad idea.
    2.) You wouldn't be 'fine' with the textures looking like something from Lara Croft's jewelry box circa 1996 even if you had paid 5 quid less than PC users for it.

Anyway, it's Rivet's first TSW route, and they can be proud of what they've achieved so long as the issues with PS4 are not deep-rooted and can be resolved quickly. In my opinion many here convinced themselves it was likely to be a genre-defining piece of DLC that would shame DTG for eternity, when it was always more likely there might be an issue or two along the way given it is the first third party route developed for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Xbox does have the LOD issue too. Xbox One X if you run the game in 4K or HD, it still shows these bad quality buttons.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

This is exactly it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. septafan

septafan Active Member

The track is also rusted over like no trains run on the pier.

8. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Watched yesterday's stream with Matt and Jasper and Sam. If they can get it looking like that on PS4, I'll happily buy it once it's in a sale at some point.

The one thing that dissapointed me on the stream was that there was no mention whatsoever by Jasper or Matt about the texture porblems on the PS4. I know Sam acknowledged it the chat, but not a word was spoken about it. At the very end Matt and Jasper acknowledged the issue with the missing trophies on PS4, but nothing about the glaring texture issues. It would have been nice if they had said something like: We know there's an issue, we appologise and we'll look into it ASAP. I think the situation warranted at least that.
    Or did they mention it and diid I miss it? I was playing RT while watching, so if I did miss it, I do appologise.

And one last note: About midway through the stream, Matt asked Jasper about the missing arrival times on the services, I thought Jasper's reaction was very weird. He seemed completely unprepared for that question and stammered through it. He looked as if he had never heard about arrival times at all.

But those niggles aside, on the stream the route lookes very nice indeed. Look forward to a patch that fixed our problems and then I will own it at some point.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s south of Brading Station. Keep left of the track and you’ll find it shortly after passing under a bridge.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You’re obviously not wiping properly ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Blame PSStore for the pricing issue
    Blame a bug in the transfer for the PS display issues

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Other issues:
    • It seems you cannot earn any medals at all in Timetable Mode - just like SKA at the current time.
    • The whistle when outside the cab is lovely and loud. When in the cab, even with the windows open, you can barely hear it. Track sounds could be louder too.
    • No cab sway. It would be nice to have some cab sway to simulate the suspension/bumps and turns in the track.
    • Speed. I’m finding that ‘Shunt’ goes faster than the other two settings on the throttle and it takes a while to reach 45mph. Matt seemed to be getting to 45mph relatively quickly. I don’t know if I’m driving the train wrong, but I don’t know how I can be.
    I’m definitely feeling better about the route, especially after seeing the quality in the live stream last night - I hope PS4 can get that quality without too much of a delay.

13. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Reverser to Forward 2 for "high speed" if it's the same on xbox

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You’re not supposed to use Forward 2 according to Jasper on the live stream last night. Apparently it’s frowned upon in real life.

15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hmmm interesting, then I assume it will take a long time to get up to speed

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Probably because the trains are so old, they don’t want them disintegrating under rapid acceleration. Arriving at the next station with no roof would no doubt raise questions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't hear him say that. Thanks will keep in mind but probably still use it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

mattdsoares I have removed your post, you do not get to dictate what you consider to be a good opinion or not just because it does not match your own. Everyone is entitled to a voice and opinion on these forums regardless of if they are happy or disappointed.

Furthermore please can we keep this thread polite and on topic. I want you to share your thoughts but if it continues to become nothing more than a bickering match I will lock it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You’re not going to actually break anything using it in the game. But yeah, apparently in real life it’s frowned upon. Maybe with the trains being so old and the added stresses that might cause to the limited available parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020
  20. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought that it seemed he did not know about the arrival times. I like chasing the arrival times, don't know about others. Same with the Hovercraft, it seemed to me that he had no idea about that either.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just stopped at a station (Lake) and got up to turn the passenger lights on. As was doing that, the train drove off on its own accord (under power, not just rolling) as if the service had been taken over. Headed back to the drivers seat, but there was no one sat there.

Also, destination boards. On this service I’m running now, the rear destination board has the destination displayed, whereas the front destination board doesn’t.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

yeah they could have put the 2 hovercraft on the beach at ryde and put a ferry at the pier to make it look more interesting around ryde. they even could have put a few seagulls flying around or a few boat, ships or yachts about

• Like Like x 1
  23. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

By any chance do you have two coach A's, instead of one A and one D? If so, then that would be the cause of the destination display (and tail-light) issue I believe.

24. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hadn’t noticed that. I’ll check next time.

25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I have an A and D. The destination board in cab D is active, the destination board in cab A shows nothing.

26. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

This happened to someone on a stream I was watching yesterday too and he hit the buffers and failed the service where he was lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

this pic is from the stream last night, just after Matt has put the reverser in forward, with the power handle off. Note it’s showing a lot of amps. The brake is set so it doesn’t move. He doesn’t notice and recycles the power lever to off and then there is zero amps. Could this explain some unexpected acceleration events if the vehicle is making power with the power lever off? (12:30 ish on the video)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That would make sense. On another service starting at Ryde Pier Head, as soon as I released the brakes we shot out of the station at a decent speed without applying any throttle whatsoever.

29. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

That’s what would have happened to Matt too, except he made a mistake and applied power first before releasing brake. Having done this he reset power to off, which actually was off this time, then released the brake.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mattdsoares

I guess not. That post got me in some trouble with the powers that be!

31. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

One thing I would like to say is I love how Rivet have given you a lot more flexibility to walk around in IOW, like that pond with parasols and benches between sandown and brading, and also the flexibility of walking outside Ryde pier station

One of things I'd like to see more of is the flexibility to explore more away from the railway. Perhaps more hidden things like the pond , it's really good of them to have included that , it makes it more explorable

• Like Like x 1
  32. mattdsoares

You know, that is something that in general TSW does well, but you're right, Rivet took it further and I hope DTG takes note. I spend easily 75%+ of my time in TS20xx, however what I really like in TSW is that due to the movement, I feel like a train driver, while in TS20xx I can feel more like the train itself, if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

After so many said here that Rivet will set completely new standards right away, I bought IoW right away. * ironic ;-)

What did I get for 25 €?
    As expected, light average food, once again not perfect. I can live with the graphic errors, provided that this is fixed. The usual discrepancies here and there can also be got over. But the arrival times are missing - THAT is a gross mistake that makes it unplayable at first. Probably again not sufficiently tested on all platforms ... It's the same as always.

But ok i play it anyway and what should i say? On the whole nicely done, suitable for light entertainment, offers little variety, even a challenge. Is there a job in which you drive four coupled cars? After all, the scenario planner can create a little more variety here.

It offers (me) more than BL, even if it has more "action", but also more tunnels. Otherwise it has the charm of WSR, which offers many more possibilities! Basically and if free of errors, IoW is worth buying, even if € 25 is too much for it. I think 17 € is appropriate. There is simply nothing more.

But I like those routes where I can just cruise without having to pay much attention to them. So it's more for fans and without high expectations. I advise all interested parties - wait for the fix from the discount, then it's ok.

Apart from bug fixes, Rivet still has the opportunity to make improvements. Be it tasks around the depot, coupling the second train, etc., or showing a hovercraft, etc. Something interesting! Then it would also be worth € 20.

Ok, for Rivets first route in TSW2, a little litter is enough. Unfortunately, the mistakes are all the greater ...

The next third party is already in the starting blocks and will definitely set completely new standards! ;-)

A completely new standard would be a DLC that does not require an urgent bug fix ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

*cough*
    I found a gap, again, just outside Brading, going north, I think it's the first crossing path/gate on the right.

35. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Sadly my WiFi was struggling last night when I did this, it gives you some idea of the detail behind the track, might do a longer video tomorrow.

36. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Gross mistake? They have said that it was a design choice, they felt the rushed nature of having to make it to stops works against the way the wanted the route to be enjoyed. Surely if enough people want stop times then I do not think they would be opposed. To call it a “Gross mistake” followed by that it was because they didn’t test it isn’t true at all.

37. LucasLCC

Jasper stated it was a design decision in the stream, and 20 minutes later back tracked. Rivet is aware they're making a route for a simulator, and as such the timetable should at least exist... If you want a relaxed drive, create a timeless scenario.

I agree that this is a major issue, because not having a timetable to follow is useless, especially when the DTG article mentions the fact it's though go keep to time...

• Like Like x 5
  38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

For some people this maybe true. Though I've seen enough posts over the last few years in TSx where people prefer non-timetables (as in standard) scenarios where there isn't a points system, or a timetable, or a need to be bang on the button...

• Like Like x 1
  39. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

40. LucasLCC

Every issue is subjective, what bothers me might not bother you and vice-versa.

However advertising a tricky schedule means that a tricky schedule should be provided, regardless!

• Like Like x 1
  41. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Don’t be silly LucasLCC, it’s not like we have laws in this country about misrepresenting products in marketing materials... ;-)

42. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

I had a bit of fun driving the 31 and 101 as coaches on the route, gave some interesting variety on power and braking forces required, plus it looked alright going through the tunnel f924593e-320c-4964-836c-8b3a20d709da.jpeg 1604da82-498d-4d0e-9373-ad8ec466eea5.jpeg c0ff6e47-c16e-4af6-bef6-58602e543ce4.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  43. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

I thought standard stock wouldn’t fit in the tunnel. Isn’t that the whole reason tube stock is used?

• Like Like x 1
  44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Even without the times being only 2 trains on the route remaining on time is not going to be essential, I think we won't get the same level of "accuracy" and "precision driving" as we do in BKL. Also the lack of a timetable in such a route, which doesn't have heavy traffic is not deal braking, but I understand that's subjective, timetable are essential for example in a HRR, RRO, SKA, BKL, etc.. but in routes such as this, or SWR they are not essential to me.

But maybe it's me seeing this route almost as a heritage rail (when it really isn't) rather that a busy commuter line.

Although I agree, the advertimesent is wrong and misleading.

Attached is the IoW timetable if you want the time keeping challenge

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  45. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

Thats what I thought too, I didn't notice any clipping driving through, but wasn't really looking for it. To be honest if the tunnel is a bit bigger than real life but other stock fits through better I am happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Yeah that makes sense, it’s probably better that way anyway as you can get a lot more variety with the scenario designer.

• Like Like x 1
  47. j.parkes1977

j.parkes1977 New Member

The sound effects are horrendous and very annoying they need sorting out yes and the buttons on the train are not even round not seen bad graphics like this since the spectrum days in the 80s this supposed to be a PS4 not a spectrum 48k I'm disappointed but surely dgt will update it soon

48. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Cheers I hope they don't patch this...
    Bet at some point I'll press L1 and expect the GTA weapon wheel to come up

Edit: I found out how to get outside

49. ExpatErsk

ExpatErsk New Member

This is my 1st post on this forum. I know there has been posts regarding the IOW tutorial but I was wondering if anyone has an issue whereby you start the tutorial, follow the route to the train, enter the train and follow the instruction to turn key on....then nothing! No further instructions and I can't find any means to get the train moving. I've even referred back to how the Waterloo underground train works and still I can't get the IOW train to move. Is there any chance someone could post a simple step-by-step instruction? There is no manual and at this point I'm stuck in the water with an add-on that I can't play!

Thanks in advance for any assistance please.

50. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Master key on
    Turn Master key to the on position

Insert reverser
    Put the reverser to Forward 1
    Release the brakes
    Move master controller

If you have problems there are a lot of people that did stream or uploaded some content of them playing the introduction.

Either you can play through the Mark '72 stock (on the Bakerloo) introduction, which is really similar except the fact the brake on the 483 has it's own control and is not integrated in the master controller like in the '72 stock