West Highland Line: Fort William - Mallaig | Does It Get Any Better?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Aug 7, 2021.

?
  1. Absolutely!

86.8%
  2. Maybe

2.6%
  3. No

10.5%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    Hello all, hope everyone is alright.

Today i'm suggesting one of the world's most scenic (watch half of these forums will dispute this) lines, the West Highland Line.

Services begin at Glasgow Queen Street and head west along the North Clyde Line, truly becoming the West Highland Line when reaching Helensburgh Upper. I'll be running through and giving a breakdown of the section between Fort William & Mallaig.

Shall we get started?

The line between Fort William and Mallaig (Mallaig Extension Railway) opened in the very beginning of the 20th century, with Mallaig, the original and current terminus, opening on April 1st, 1901.

Fort William is the southern terminus of the Extension, seeing an Eastbourne/ECW style Turnback for trains continuing on to Mallaig or Glasgow.

The route then travels towards Mallaig, passing through the Mountains, past the Caledonian Canal, crossing the Glenfinnan Viaduct (Harry Potter fans will recognise it instantly), and reaching Mallaig, the port town itself.

This suggestion will be unusual for me. Try and spot it (you get no points for doing so, it's blatantly obvious)

Rolling Stock
    This route (as you will see when I get to services) has a very sparse timetable. To help add to this, i'm going to be doing something rather out the blue.
    You ready?

2021 Era
    BR Class 156 (ScotRail)
    Img_5287.jpg
    BR Class 153 (ScotRail)
    Featuring this outstanding livery
    Class-153-Active-Travel-_-Bike-_-Cycle-carriage-2.jpg unnamed.jpg

1989 Era
    Class 37 (BR SR) with Mark 1 Coaches
    [​IMG]
    Class 156 (SPTE & BR SR)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Potential DLC(s)
    Jacobite Pack (2021) (would be '89 but I can't get enough info)

- LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0
    [​IMG]
    - Peppercorn Class K1
    [​IMG]
    - MK1 Coaches
    (Interior. Exterior is just maroon, and Is visible above)
    firstclasscarriage.jpg

My note: Would be an excellent start for Steam when it arrives

Layers (In)
    N/A

Layers (Out)

Glasgow Cathcart Circle
    AI Glasgow Southwestern Line services between Glasgow & Pollockshields - Also Crossing over the line on the Neilston Branch, as well as under the circle itself.

Use of existing stock
    The Class 37 could be helped by it's existence on Tees Valley Line - of course it would require a reskin and probably a few other changes.

Stations
    (= Request Stop (2021) - BR Era is a bit more complicated. See Information at the bottom for more)

Fort William
    Banavie
    Corpach
    Loch Eil Outward Bound
    Locheilside (★)
    Glenfinnan
    Lochailort (★)
    Beasdale (★)
    Arisaig
    Morar
    Mallaig

(Map)
    Untitled21_20210807214300.png

Services
    The services (as I mentioned earlier) are rather scarse. So, that's why there is a dual-era in play, using the feature of multiple timetables, to add more to the route:
    Also, because I don't have to fit too much information in, I'll add info I wouldn't usually.

2021 Timetable
    (Thanks to the West Highland line being a somewhat key connection for communities up this way, the timetable is not really affected, so COVID isn't really an issue here.)

4tpd Glasgow Queen Street -> Mallaig
    Dep(s). (Fort William) / Arr(s). (Mallaig)

12:12 / 13.38
    16:19 / 17:43
    22:21 / 23:25
    22:16 / 22:38

3tpd Mallaig -> Glasgow Queen Street
    Dep(s). Mallaig / Arr(s). Fort William

06:03 / 07:25
    10:10 / 11:34
    16:01 / 17:28

1tpd Fort William -> Mallaig

08:30 / 09:53

1tpd Mallaig -> Fort William
    Dep(s). Mallaig / Arr(s). Fort William

18:15 / 19:37
    AI
    - Trains to Mallaig from Glasgow arrive at Fort William at:

• 12:08 (becomes the 12:12)
    • 16:09 (becomes the 16:19)
    • 22:06 (becomes the 22:11)
    • 22:09 (becomes the 22:16)

- Trains to Glasgow leave Fort William at:
    • 07:44 (06:03 from Mallaig, arrives at 07:25)
    • 11:40 (10:10 from Mallaig, arrives at 11:34)
    • 17:37 (16:01 from Mallaig, arrives at 17:28)

5tpd • Mallaig Bound
    'G' = From Glasgow
    *Judging by the timetable the service noted here is an ECS from Near Fort William - Mallaig

(G) 09:05 / 10:25
    (Unknown) 10:35 / 12:15
    (G) 12:30 / 13:50
    (G) 16:05 / 17:25
    (G) 20:30 / 21:50

5tpd • Fort William/Glasgow Bound
    'LE' = Starts at Loch Eil Outward Bound
    (All services for Glasgow unless stated)
    Dep(s). (Mallaig) / Arr(s). (Fort William)
    (LE) 06:30 / 06:47
    07:10 / 08:30
    10:35 / 11:55
    (Unknown) 13:10 / 15:00
    14:20 / 15:40
    20:30 / 21:50

The 10:35 (to Mallaig) and 13:10 (To Fort William) are seemingly limited stops, and according to the timetable only run on Monday, Tuesday (Summer) and Thursday (All Months)
    AI:
    - AI From Glasgow

Arriving at Fort William at:
    • 08:55 (Forms 09:05 to Mallaig)
    • 11:43 (Forms 12:30 to Mallaig)
    • 15:45 (Forms 16:05 to Mallaig)
    • 19:43 (Dunno what this does tbh)
    • 20:15 (Forms 20:30 to Mallaig)
    • 00:14 (Terminates)

- AI To Glasgow
    Leaving Fort William at:
    • 06:52 (Arrives from Loch Eil at 06:47)
    • 10:38 (Unknown Origin)
    • 12:02 (Arrives from Mallaig at 11:55)
    • 15:53 (Arrives from Mallaig at 15:40)
    • 19:47 (Arrives from Mallaig at 19:35)
    • 20:25 (Unknown Origin)

Jacobite

Morning Service:

Leaves Fort William • 10:15
    (Stops at Glenfinnan)
    (May stop at Arisaig on Passenger Request)
    Arrives Mallaig • 12:26
    {Wait}
    Leaves Mallaig • 14:10
    Arr. Fort William • 16:03

Afternoon Service:

Leaves Fort William • 12:45
    (Stops at Glenfinnan)
    (May stop at Arisaig on Passenger Request)
    Arrives Mallaig • 15:01
    {Wait}
    Leaves Mallaig • 16:45
    Arr. Fort William • 18:53

(My note: don't expect me to write out a full timetable again.)

Era Changes

Ok, as I've suggested dual eras, that would make the route fairly different.

Things such as PIS Screens would likely have to be removed for 1989 (this is one of those things you'd need to fact check), the signage and colours of some things at stations would likely need changing, and some other things like such. You can probably imagine what though.

Signalling
    This line uses (what I think is a first for TSW) a Token-based System, rather than the usual systems. Fort William station has the modern LED lights but I'm unaware of any others along the line. It would be quite interesting to have a task to get the token - even if it were just rolling the window down and grabbing it.

Request Stops
    Request Stops would be interesting. The way I personally see it working is at × distance (maybe ½ a mile or a full mile away from the station) the service updates to include the Request stop - if either a passenger at the station requests it, or on board the train. The UI and Markers would of course have to be updated to show.

There could be a probability (maybe 30% odd for this) for this to happen.

Information
    Here you can find the timetables for both 2021 and 1989 along the WHL.

1989: https://sites.google.com/site/oldrailwaytimetables/tables/1989 (Scroll a little until you find the one for the WHL)

2021:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables
    (Under 'Highlands')

Clouds

As you can see from this image from Banavie station,
    [​IMG]
    the light and high clouds we have in TSW are hardly fit for this line, these clouds - often thick and hugging the mountains - would probably need to be added in here to make the route feel right.

Season Exclusivity
    The Jacobite
    would only be available in the months between May and October with the Afternoon services being removed on October 1st. Meaning only 1 day of October would include this.

Basically, what I'm suggesting here is; have the Jacobite disabled if the player selects these months. Or, if the player selects the Jacobite then has to choose the month, November - April are disabled. (I can't quite which way the new menus work)

Pictures
    Glenfinnan Viaduct, Near Glenfinnan Station[​IMG]
    Fort William
    [​IMG]
    Mallaig (Taken from the Jacobite, now you can see the outside of the carriages)
    [​IMG]
    Glenfinnan (the station building, visible, is a museum focusing on the impacts of the Mallaig Extension Railway, who built the line.)
    [​IMG]

My thoughts

The West Highland line is unquestionably beautiful, running straight through Argyle and into the Highlands, in between the mountains, up and down, this section is probably the best for TSW, with a decent length (which I realise I haven't mentioned, it's 41 miles 28 chains (66.5 km) between Fort William & Mallaig), and great opportunity for two timetables to add to the variety.

As you can probably tell by just how much is in this post (this took over 3 hours in planning, research, and eventually typing out), I'm really quite passionate about this. I did (I confess) make this suggestion months ago, however, it had the minimal "accepted" detail, and this I decided to remake it.

Now, that aside. Let's talk trains, shall we?

When I first found out the 37 also ran this route I could tell this would be helpful. The Class 37 - having appeared on TVL (conveniently, also 1989) - has its shell and model already made. It would of course need a new livery and probably a few changes (livery designer support for one), but can help.

Then, we have the 156, a classic. The Super Sprinter has operated this line since 1989. I've decided to include both SPTE & BR Scotrail here, as they often mixed in services, (I think).

Now, my original version was only 1989, however this time I've added 2021. Why? Well, I'm personally more into Modern Stuff, however this route - IMO - is perfect for both eras. And thanks to the West Highland Line being just the perfect route - I think it would be fabulous to have both.

Also, the Highlands have almost stood still in time, so it wouldn't be massive to make changes between the '89 and Modern eras, just a few changes in the towns and replacing a few modern things at stations, and also things like signs.

The modern era would have Two locos, the Class 156 (Again) and the Class 153.

The Class 156 obviously would be similar to the older version of itself - different interiors and such would be another issue. The 153 however...

Who in their right mind would say no to this? Class-153-Active-Travel-_-Bike-_-Cycle-carriage-2.jpg
    (It's a beauty, also, there's a Highland Coo on it)

In my opinion, it just doesn't get better than this. There are nothing you can say against the Highlands whilst still talking sense. They are beautiful, in every way. And TSW would be absoluetly perfect for it!

Many thanks to everyone who have read this.

(This literally took 4½ hours overall to make: that's research, planning, getting info, and then typing this out)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Classic train simulator 21 route that must be in TSW2. The Class 156s on this route set in 1980s can serve as the base model for my Calder Valley Line Manchester Victoria to Leeds City via Halifax & Bradford.

3. trainsimplayer

Indeed. I think "must" is actually the right word for this, it's one of the - if not the best routes out there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

Could anyone say no to this?
    Banavie_Station_(geograph_5324117).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. B3N

B3N Active Member

Finding threads like this are what I love to find. Detail is amazing, and I’d love to see this route in TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  6. CheshireCat89

CheshireCat89 New Member

I'd love to drive the Jacobite steam train on this route when steam is added in the game!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I would love this route soooo much! What a stunning route! I've been on it myself and nothing gets better than that. One of the most scenic railway journeys in the world

• Like Like x 1