What Is "configure Overlays" For?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dreampage, Dec 17, 2020.

1. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

In the main menu of any route there is an option to "Configure Overlays" with the X button. But if you press it, and empty menu comes up saying "Choose from the available options", yet nothing is there. What is this feature supposed to be? At first, I thought we would get Mastery rewards like optional scenery for the trains, like in TSW 2020. But as I see it all we get for Mastery is added scenery detail on the routes themselves, and not these "garage spaces" we had in the original game.

Do we know what this overlay configuration menu means? Thanks for any info in advance.

• Like Like x 2
  2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

When you unlock Tier 2 and complete it, you will get scenery options show here. You can then toggle them on/off for the selected route.

So right now it's some sort of market area. Preserved collection rewards someone said they carried over but I cannot confirm as it never worked.

3. dreampage

So Mastery does reward "garage spaces" in the end? I'll have to check it with Hauptstrecke Köln-Aachen, although Tier 2 doesn't seem to synchronize for me at the moment.

4. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

No, not yet. I guess that could be Tier 3 or introduced in another route. Tier 2 is the final set at the moment. Configure Overlays is for enabling additional scenery inside a route. Right now mine has Marketplace - Schnellfahrstrecke Köln listed in the overlays because I finished that route's mastery.

Garage Spaces were on another button in TSW2020 menu but I don't see this option in the TSW2 menu.

5. dreampage

OK, thanks for clearing this up. I won't bother with the Mastery for some additional scenery. It doesn't progress to me anyway. :) I also don't know what the Tier 1 rewards are, they seem like decals but I'm not sure. It would be great if the game communicated these things more clearly.

6. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

All your unlocked decals you should be seeing in the livery designer? I am not very creative so I rarely use it.

Just keep playing services and then your mastery may eventually fix itself. Mine took several hours to update.

7. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

My Mastery reward scenery tiles carried over from TSW 2020, but they started out disabled, so I had to enable them with 'configure overlays'. I did a run on NTP and can confirm the hot air balloons were there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I quite liked the dioramas in TSW2020. I only unlocked two before Mastery stopped working and I signed out of Dovetail Live for good (to stop the always irritating and now pointless pop-up at the start of the game). It would have been nice to be given the opportunity to unlock some more dioramas and some scenery but alas it was never to be.

9. Shane0ooo

Shane0ooo New Member

10. Shane0ooo

Shane0ooo New Member

Just installed this SIM, and got this overlay thing and completely lost as to what this is all about. It just says you got it, can select the overlay then... nothing for a newbie as to what this is doing. Everything else is full narrated and explained yet this is ... what? Where? howto? just select it and .... Mmm

Howto view my mastery achievement... accessing it is for the ... devs?! lol this just lost me and few hours of gameplay as a reward?!?!? playing game lol. Still don't understand howto view this thang.

11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You get overlays by completing mastery challenges. You can see these challenges in two ways:
    1. When you start up the game, there will be a mastery pop-up before the route selection screen.
    2. While in the route selection screen, open the Dovetail live tab, then select mastery.
    Note that - as far as I'm aware - you need to be logged into Dovetail live in your game to see mastery challenges.

• Like Like x 2