What Is The Main Reason You Got The Routes You Have

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by AtherianKing, Feb 1, 2023.

1. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Xbox shares those sympathies :D there was a good sale the other week but I don’t expect one for a long time now unfortunately.

2. Xemik

Xemik New Member

IIRC I got an email from DTG showing the sale that started at the beginning of this month is slated for 8-Feb on PS4. So maybe that will have the same Friday deals that end on 6th? If it doesn't, I certainly won't be buying. ;)

3. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Sony always puts the latest weekly deal batch up on Wednesday, so 8th would indeed be accurate, though of course what those deals are noone knows as yet (unless DTG JD surprises us/leaks). Previously PS has had different discounts to Steam (in terms of percentage) so will just have to wait until Wednesay around 1-2am UK time

4. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Huh? I don't remember it being free at some point!

5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I got a free key for it from an ambassador during one of their streams. That's why lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Lucky guy right here!

7. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

I literally used to buy every route to try broaden my collection try new things etc but slowly learned i only like modern UK content where I can escape reality and jump into the role of my dream job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rennekton#1349

Me too lol. Don't even play half the content, mostly freight and br blue. I like modern stuff

9. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

I feel you. I am the exact same way with North American freight.

10. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

I mean from other versions of the game, some get ported over and others don't.

11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Such as...?

Cheers

12. PHJ-MGF

The North Wales Costal Route, South Western Express any of the Bristol down to Penzance add ons.

13. Callum B.

Those are not from other versions of the game, those are from a completely different game. No different than saying Trainz is a different version of TSW.

Cheers

14. PHJ-MGF

[Removed - Alex - Directed comment, rude]

15. rennekton#1349

Those are routes of a completely different game. Tsc and tsw are completely different. Can't happen and won't ever happen.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

More pertinent to add the routes I haven't got...

LIRR - Tried it briefly but very buggy and didn't look right.

Rapid Transit - Tried it twice but couldn't take the near silent EMU.

Hamburg to Lubeck - Another standard German "plains" commuter route.

Everything else I own and enjoy, bugs notwithstanding. Added Arosa and LGV Med to the collection today and looking forward to trying those too. Even those routes which are duplicated from TSC add a little something in TSW, be it the comprehensive timetable or the ability to walk around the environment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PHJ-MGF

Yet others like Arosa line have, so it's blatantly possible.

18. rennekton#1349

It is not a port. Nothing is a port since it is rebuilt from the ground up. Tsc content is not compatible with tsw due to different engines. Only tsw routes port from one title to the next which is what I and the others are referring to.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

As an Austrian, I am focussing on "german" (Germany and Switzerland) routes, furthermore routes with many passenger service and a bit of freight, freight only routes only in bundles.

My reasons:

LIRR - passenger/commuter route

Peninsula Corridor - US passenger service and a bit freight.

TVL - local passenger (but deleted at time due to missing addon-manager)

East Coastway - passengers (but deleted at time due to missing addon-manager)

Rapid Transit - German route (I like especially the Leipzig city tunnel)

RSN - German route

MSB - German route

RRO - German route

HRR - German route

Canadian Oakville - Canadian route (something different), but also a litte "mistake" on my side (thougt, the will be passenger services too)

Sand Patch Grade - was a bundle when I bought TSW2 (but deleted at time due to missing addon-manager)

Boston Sprinter - US passenger route + Rush Hour Edition

Harlem Line - US commuter line

Bakerloo - TSW2-Bundle and I like the Underground

Isle of Wight (both) - Nice small railway (passengers)

SEHS (TSW 3) - Great combination of HST and commuter trains and a bit of freight

Cathcart - (Scottish) Commuter

London Commuter - Commuter railway

Spirit of steam - deluxe edition of tsw3
    Köln - Aachen - TSW2 Bundle and German route (great mix of Commuter, ICE and freight)

Munich Augsburg - German Route, commuter and ICE services

Hamburg Lübeck - German route

Nerverkehr Dresden - German route

Tharandter Rampe - German route

Luzern - Sursee - Swiss route and I like the "Stadler Flirt"-Train (RABe 523) also in real life.

Arosalinie - Swiss route

LGV Mediterranee - French route and I like "racing" at 320 km/h

Cajon Pass - TSW3 deluxe edition

Kassel - Würzburg - German route, I like "racing" on ICE

Bremen - Oldenburg - German Route

Birmingham cross city - great UK city commuter route

• Like Like x 1
  20. Callum B.

I rebought LGV in the sale as well. The scenery was improved a bit since launch but there are still a few sore spots near Avignon. I HIGHLY recommend using the small enhancement mods on TSC and especially the TODv4 mod with the route. The updated lighting makes a huge difference and it feels far more Mediterranean as well as being able to pass under moving clouds/shadows at high speeds which adds a huge layer of depth to the visuals. I wish someone would make a TODv4 mod specifically for LGV so I wouldn't have to swap it when playing routes where it looks more broken.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. PHJ-MGF

It's still available in both however they did it [Removed - Alex - Rude, Insulting]

22. LIRRtrak

LIRRtrak Member

NEC: New York
    -Reason 1: My love of New York
    -Reason 2: I love Amtrak and wanted to relive the past. I've been on the New York to Newark Airport stretch of the NEC numerous times on Amtrak, though I've never gotten off at either of the Newark stops. It was the summer of 2021 when I bought TSW 2020 and at the time I was really missing traveling, so this game was as close to riding Amtrak again as I was going to get. Playing this route brings back many happy memories. This route is what made want to buy TSW in the first place.

LIRR
    -Reason 1: Same as reason 1 for NEC: New York
    -Reason 2: Nostalgia. I've ridden the LIRR before from NYP to Jamaica and Hempstead years ago and I've also ridden it from NYP to Mets-Willets Point, IRL (wish the Mets stop was included in the game). It was nice to see familiar stations and the bigger number of stops gave this route more replay value for me than NEC:New York. I love driving the M7. I prefer the TSW 2 version over the original TSW 2020 version due to TSW 2's immersive controls.

Harlem Line
    -Reason: Same as reason 1 for the last two routes

Boston Sprinter
    -Reason 1: My love of Amtrak
    -Reason 2: Nostalgia for MBTA commuter rail. I never rode the Boston to Providence line, but I have ridden the Middleborough/Lakeville line. Was cool to see this virtual recreation of the Boston South Station platforms.

All the other routes I own are the ones that were bundled with a particular copy of the game. NEC: New York did come bundled with my PS4 copy of TSW 2020, but I gave it a special write-up due to how much I enjoy it and its significance to me.

• Like Like x 1
  23. andypancakes#9832

andypancakes#9832 New Member

I bought most of my routes because of sales and recommendations from this forum. My main interests are the North American freight but I’ll try anything if it’s cheap.

I will be buying the NEC route plus Acela at full price because I lived in NJ for a period of my life and ridden the route several times.

• Like Like x 1
  24. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I used to buy pretty much everything, but in the last couple of years or so I get them through either the beta or Ambassador program (just putting that out there) but before I joined the program I bought TSW2020 and TSW2 and all the routes because I enjoy trying new things. I'm not that player that runs every time table or journey. I cherry pick. Let me list my favourites rather than why I have them because that will be simpler. I have to do this by gut because my usage stats are useless since I move back and forth between dev and public builds all the time - my entire profile is really just garbage since I've had so many fresh starts.

Peninsula Corridor - I used to live and work in the area including work done with CalTrain. I worked on a transit system for MTC that spanned the entire Bay Area from just outside Sacramento all the way down to Gilroy and all points in between. My responsibilities included train, light rail and buses. I enjoy operating trains through areas that I recognise.

NY - Harlem - I have friends and family in NY and visited annually prior to Covid and the current economic issues so I love a well made enjoyable route that runs through places that I recognise. I do also have LIRR, but it needs some signalling and time table love for me to play it often. I am looking forward to NY-Trenton because in TSC NY-Philly is a favourite. I spent some time in Newark NJ in 2019 and commuted into NY daily during that time on PATH, Amtrak and NJT. As a beta tester I know exactly what I think of NY-Trenton right now but I want to see it out there and see what other people think. I drove Boston a lot before NY - Harlem came out but don't seem to use it as much now but it'll get a revisit with Acela.

Northern Trans Pennine + Diesel Freight Pack and GWE + Diesel Legends I enjoy these two for the same reasons, short, fast freight and passenger mixed in for the fun. I enjoy older machines more than the others so I appreciate these route and DLC in combination. I like Clinchfield for similar reasons - old F7's and stuff you can get through in an hour for the most part that is quite challenging.

Birmingham and BML are probably my favourite British routes because I enjoy the fast pace and I know Birmingham well enough to drive it backwards.

My favourite German routes would have to be Nahverkehr Dresden and Tharandter Rampe because I enjoy the variety of game play you have on them with the different trains you can run. The layers in Germany are very useful for making routes come alive. I do quite like Bremen - Oldenberg because of the novelty of the older machines.

I really want to like Spirit of Steam and I do enjoy the Liverpool end of it and I enjoy the steam locos even though they need some adjustments and finalisation. I am really looking forward to Peak Forest because well, Spirit is so.... well... flat. Steam needs some grades to be challenging properly. I could care less about manual firing so as long as the auto firing keeps the steam up I will be a happy chappy. Given I am actually a steam fireman in real life you might wonder why I don't care about steam firing in game - well I do and I don't. In beta I will use all my knowledge and influence to get it as good as it can be within the constraints of the game but I will never play it for love except to make tutorials and show it off. Why? Because if it was as hard to fire in game as it is in real life no one would ever want to do it. Firing a steam locomotive is really hard and draining - its serious fun but its a mind bender and a physical challenge. Reading the fire, maintaining your water level, firing against the injectors on long grades is really really hard to get right. Get it wrong in a good way and your train stops, get it wrong in a bad way and you kill everyone within 500 metres.

I would love to see some traction in game in the form of tram, light rail and American Inter Urban like Sacramento Northern in TSC. I did see Rivet chucked some in for Edinburgh and I hope that is the beginning of things to come. I welcome DTG's involvement in Tram Sim as that game is fun.

What would make TSW better for me? Two things:
    Sound. I love realistic sounds. I really enjoy where development has been going lately and what I've been experiencing in the newer stuff and I hope others enjoy it equally when they get their hands on it. I see people rabbit on about things like "I can't hear track joints" - well they've clearly never been on the footplate. At low speed you can hear track joints, at speed you will hear the frog in a set of points but you will not hear individual joints unless they're so bad you nearly derailed on them. Now if you're on an outside cam, then yes hearing joints is nice, but in reality modern rail is continuous welded rail and simply doesn't have many joints in it except for expansion control joints.
    Signalling. I love realistic signalling. I really like where the in cab USA content has been going. The complexity attracts me like a moth to a flame.

A huge thanks to AtherianKing for starting a nice positive thread, well done to you. I enjoyed reading through people's thoughts and understanding each person's different thinking and reasons they like the things that they do.

Paul

• Like Like x 4
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Same story for how I got Bahnstrecke Bremen Delmenhorst Oldenburg on the Xbox it was British Ace streaming Bahnstrecke Bremen Oldenburg and he had a code on there for the Xbox

26. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Well, i'll try to summarize too

MSB
    The First German route i got, as it was in the current TSW Bundle at the time i got the game.

LIRR
    Was in TSW 2020, not too interested

GWE
    Was in TSW 2020 bundle, got more and more interested

SPG
    Was in TSW 2020 bundle, not really interested in US Freight in General

NTP
    Also in TSW 2020 Bundle, also not really interested in. I remember thinking the route was set in the current time, shows how little i knew about UK railways Back then.

RT
    First german DLC i bought, long commuter route and interesting and unique still today with Leipzigs City Tunnel

RSN
    Contained Hagen, my nearest big Station, so a must have

RRO
    Same as for RSN, plus i travelled on this line more often than RSN

HRR
    Local Main Line, been there a lot irl, so also must have

ECW
    Got me interested into modern british Content, remember doing multiple Brighton - Seaford runs in one session with ,,my" train.

SKA
    TSW 2 Release, and German route with the ICE3, so ofc a must have

HMA
    German route, by this point a no brainer getting it to Drive, for scenario creation etc

BKL
    In TSW2, surprisingly not that interested and havent driven it too often

HBK
    German route

SEHS+465
    East Coastway really got me into british stuff, so got it and really enjoyed it, with the 465 to this Date.

WSR
    Got a Key for 3€, like the atmosphere but nor really interested in the stock and 25 mph Operation

CCL
    At this point also got most british releases, really like the enclosed network character and being able to stick to your train theoretically all day

TVL
    Got interested in older british stuff, but my German PZB Brain couldnt deal with driving on a route without safety systems on NTP, so i got TVL and enjoyed it.

Harlem:
    Got a free Key

Boston Sprinter:
    Was in Rush hour Bundle, enjoyed the ACS 64 and got into it more since the Acela announcement

SoS
    Steam, do i need to say more?

WCL
    Got it after the release of mods fixing and adding scenery, also i was in Penzance and did the St Ives branch on my Interrail Trip this summer, so got it also as somewhat of a Souvenir.

Oakville
    Got a Key for 3€, not interested in US Freight, played a few passenger scenarios on it but thats it.

Clinchfield
    Tried US Freight Out, enjoyed the scenery and F7 but im made for faster speeds than 30 mph for 1½h

IoW 2022
    Didnt get the original one, but the reworked Version seemed good and really enjoyed it, did a lot of Back and forth runs, operating it like its my little enclosed railway.

BML
    Part of the Rush hour Bundle, great timetable, enjoyed it very much

DRA
    Part of the Rush hour Bundle and German route

DCZ
    German route and awesome 612

Luzern
    Interested to see how swiss trains were represented, also liked the enclosed RE Services, also sometimes did two or three in a row in one session.

LGV
    Interesting french Route, also the TGV can be used in scenarios on german routes

Cajon Pass
    Part of TSW3, still not interested in US Freight

Kassel
    German route and ICE1

Bremen
    110 and n Wagen!!!!
    And German route

BCC
    Looked good, whole Line with complete services and modern UK EMU

Holiday Express
    Got a free Key

Edinburgh
    Preordered it, and was disappointed by the 385 and the working elevators, which turned out to be Just 2. Great for scenarios with other trains however

That should Cover everything without the loco dlcs, but i didnt got that much of them anyway.

• Like Like x 5
  27. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

wrong river and wrong area for liking Geordies… I grew up further north than the tees and further south of the Tyne but still not a Geordie either, if it ain’t Newcastle it ain’t Geordie ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1