PC When's Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Deebz__, May 23, 2020.

1. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

So when is Multiplayer coming? Not much has been said about it since it was promised before release (with quite a bit of confidence I might add) in this video, starting at 6:40?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Probably by the time the cat in your avatar wakes up and is a great, great, great, great grandparent!

I'm still waiting for ATP on the HST and the feature of PIS, I mean after all, "they just missed release" and "assets are in place"

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

We'll get it after the Editor, so never.

• Like Like x 1
  4. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

There is no official statement for Multiplayer in this game so I wouldnt expect it to come at any time to TSW.

5. Deebz__

You... did see the video I linked in my original post, right? Let me quote it for you:

6. doublefine7

This video is 4 years old and there was no official statement since then. So no, I personally think we wont see Multiplayer EVER.

7. Deebz__

That's the point. I would like to hear an update from Dovetail on this promised feature, since the game has pretty much been stuck in 1st gear since release in terms of features. An update on the editor would be nice too, while they are at it...

8. doublefine7

In the forum you wont get an official answer, that is my point of view. The staff rarely replies and if you want some "official" statements, then ask in the Livestreams. That is currently the only reliable source for news.

9. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

That’s a bold statement. I agree that it won’t come out in the foreseeable future and that there are many other priorities but I think it will come out one day hopefully in a few years. Sure Multiplayer won’t appeal to everyone but I think there is enough interest that it will eventually come out. And by multiplayer, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a big lobby of 32 players, for example, where you have many different trains controlled by different players and maybe some people playing as a guard or signaller. It can just be as simple as 2 players in a lobby where one acts as the driver/engineer and another acts as the guard/conductor which would work well on North American freight switching duties as well as intense commuter/metro networks with regular station stops so the guard isn’t bored. I don’t expect this to come out for a few years if not several years because there are so many other important features to be worked on first least of all more traction and routes. But to say it will never come out is an extremely negative statement especially when you consider how fast technology and gaming is progressing such as Virtual Reality. The community asking for multiplayer in the foreseeable future really isn’t asking for too much .

• Like Like x 1
  10. doublefine7

This game started with CSX: Heavy Haul and it was ambitious. But if you compare the game from 2017 with the game as it is today in terms of features then you will see that the game didnt evolve very much. The game is still in Unreal Engine 4.16 and considering that bigger updates are only arriving on a yearly basis just makes me believe that the multiplayer is simply unrealistic. DTG doesnt fix old content (which would be needed for multiplayer), their patches are small and doesnt offer much fixes and the way they handle communication these days is just suboptimal. Yes, the corona crisis makes things harder and the normal workflow isnt there so for the moment we cannot really expect any bigger jumps. But then I am looking on the pre-corona time and there was one dlc release after the other. So they concentrated on new content which is fine. But there are still a lot of missing features (guards, signallers) being needed for a Multiplayer and I guess DTG want to make the game a solid game first before making it multiplayer-accessible.

Yes, my statement is bold and very negative. But it is built on the patch and feature-adding progression experience I made on this game which is just not good.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Realistically the time to pose this question is once the editor has gone through public beta and onto general release. At present it's a moot point whether the public beta will even be announced this year never mind actually take place.

12. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Run8 have Multiplayer and here we can see the trains running in theirs route network Link
    Most Ai trains. But the green trains is people on. You can as dispatcher control both Ai and ordinary trains.

I very like the idea with multiplayer run8 has done. You can work as DP dispatcher, engine driver
    Conductor and so on
    Ai trains behaves almost the same as ordinary trains. Go slow uphill and so.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance.... but what exactly do you imagine multi-player to involve.....? I am trying to get my head around it.

- How many players would be involved in any one scenario...?
    - Are we talking about online multiplayer.... or split-screen multi-player on a couch?
    - What would the players actually do.... at the same time....?
    - Are you really just asking for voice-chat to be added...?
    - Would you expect shared world data to have a permanent presence on DTG servers... or would data be streamed to each other and/or netcoded....?
    - Would you be happy to have a multiplayer function added, but have every other aspect of TSW reduced in quality to cope with the new overhead...?

As I said... I have no idea what multi-player means... in the context of a train simulator... How would it work? Do you think a lot of people would use it....? And should it be a priority to develop this, above/with everything else.....?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  16. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

the only multiplayer i would ever want is
    coop driving a train
    im not interested in any other form

im not interested at all
    in that I drive a train and that a friend drives another train

17. Deebz__

How should I know, I just expect Dovetail to stick to their promises. Yes, I used the word promises, because Matt used the word "absolutely". Not once, but twice!

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I can imagine two people each driving a train, one heading from SJ and one heading from SF. After half an hour the two players pass each other and as they pass each other they can toot their horns at each other then continue for another half an hour until they reach SF and SJ respectively, and that my friends is multiplayer in TSW. A must have feature, I think you’ll all agree.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Deebz__

Perhaps two people could work together to do shunting jobs. I mean sure, there isn't much good shunting in TSW, but it isn't entirely realistic for the driver to keep getting up out of his seat and switching switches. The second man could also use voice chat (read: radio) to help spot the driver when he cant see the back of the train.

Yes, one person can just use the camera views to basically accomplish the same thing, but... roleplay, man!

Personally IDC what all is involved. Dovetail pretends to have good ideas about what this mode would look like. I just expect them to keep their word, and not continue to use lies to help sell stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I'd say a multiplayer timetable. Players join in can take control of any of the services, while AI bots drive the rest, just like in single player.