Yellow Lights

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rage607, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Rage607

Rage607 Member

Hello,
    first I must admit, that I do know next to nothing about trains despite the fact, that I find them interesting.
    When I'm playing tsw (or tsw2 more recently) I play WSR, some tutorials or some easy stuff.
    Almost everytime, I try to play a long scenario, I end up running over a red light.

Here's an example:
    I bought the diesel legends dlc and played the scenario, where you're driving in a snow storm.
    Apart from the fact, that I was unable to turn on any light and was driving in the dark, I ended up running over a red light.
    First there's a yellow light and the next one's red. So I start do decelerate. A couple of hundred yards before reaching the light it turns yellow. That's happening two times. The next time, I'm not decelerating and still the red light turns yellow. And you already guessed it: the next time it did not turn yellow and I had no time to stop.

My question is: what is the right behaviour in this situation? The reason, I am going so fast is, that I have the feeling I won't be on time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

No. Whenever you pass a single yellow signal, start slowing down immediately to a speed where you can stop before a red signal upon seeing it, and if you see a red signal for your line ahead, then start slowing down again and prepare to stop. The in game timetable should allow for if you have to slow down on that service.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's called "surfing the yellows" if one is running behind another train and the signal progression changes as the front train moves from block to block. It's sort of an art, finding the reduced speed which will keep you seeing double-yellows go green or single-yellows go double just in front of you. But if you pass a signal at single yellow then yes, SLOW DOWN! Remember, if the next light stays red, you may not see it before you're really pretty close.

• Like Like x 1
  4. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

If you make it to single yellow aspects then slow down enough to expect the next signal to be at danger. I was a minute late on this and was going 90mph until seeing the yellow signals (Class 52 passenger service - maximum speed I think is 90mph for this loco).

Chasing the aspects is a SPAD risk entry in this training film (4:20):

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rage607

Rage607 Member

Nice, thank you all for your help. I'll try to get a feeling for it by doing the scenario multiple times.

And also sorry for all the spelling mistakes. I just noticed them. Damn autocorrect...
    I hope I now got them all.