Introducing Mastery For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Well it seems at least some people asked for more individual challenges and this is the result. It is not a very bad idea and into my opinion better than the Challenges. I think we should allow DTG people to use their imagination sometimes. Yes, we all can do other things. instead of wasting time giving negative comments on everything DTG is doing. TSW has bugs, and I also have a number of wishes and yes this cannot replace the content editor, which I really really want. But I am also sure the content editor would have been available if it is technically working properly.

• Like Like x 6
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I'm not opposing the idea of Mastery at all. See my first post in this thread. Last one on Page 1. Basically says exactly this.

3. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

As customers, I think we are all fully entitled to comment as we see fit and speak the truth as we see it. I'm not going to give false praise and I have no reason to ingratiate myself with anyone at DTG (as some others here seem to do on a regular basis). I'm sure most of the negative comments are born of frustration and a desire to see TSW go from strength to strength and not from malice or having an axe to grind with DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

It could certainly do with some polishing up but as a concept its interesting. Going through tutorials again seems a little odd as a requirement,
    Overall Im disappointed that quality of life enhancements (sky rework, noticeboards in stations, trackside furniture like work gangs, etc etc) still are absent yet enough resource is apparently available to include some hot air balloons and a festival. I must have missed all the forum posts asking for those 'features'..

• Like Like x 4
  5. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Did some HST- and one freightservices on GWE. But the distance driven counter for Tier 2 does not work anymore.

On LIRR I fulfille the tutorial task.
    Then I complete 2 services. But the distance driven- and the completed services counter does not work.

6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here. Tutorials seem to show up, but not services. Wondering if it's to do with distance or time, as only short things seem to show. Longer services I've done on NTP, GWE, LIRR and MSB are all failing to show; just did another M7 LIRR service and there's been no affect on stats, plus it's not showing in the recent sessions list.

You're lucky that you managed to get through Tier 1 - I don't think there are any Tier 1's that I can actually complete all four for, the way things are currently. Just going to go back to concentrating on Trophies and will come back to this if/when it gets fixed.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

8936F096-7A17-4FD3-A062-1ED69EBFFD74.png Same for me on ps4 done lots of HST, class 45,101,166 and yet.... A0883B4F-2114-4C57-BD48-A5BE8355F094.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

So it appears that if you’ve got an issue with Mastery not working DTG will help in the way of telling you how to activate/deactivate DTL in-game and how to link you’re console/steam account via the browser. After that they’ll just forget it and pretend you’re issue is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Factor41

Pretty sure they're working on it. The way things update has definitely changed since Mastery was released - for example Player Level is now brought in correctly from the game, and yesterday, I had some longer services register on the charts for the first time. It's clearly not perfect, but it does at least seem to be moving in the right direction.

Screenshot 2019-11-04 at 11.58.15.png

Still wish the Locos graph would include more than the top five plus Other. Also needs to be clear whether the Routes chart is based on distance travelled or time played, since getting anywhere in WSR takes forever!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There should be a hot fix for some of the UI for mastery today.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

The route chart is based on time played. For me there are only 2 routes tracked and the one where I drove plenty of miles (much more than on the other) is not as much bigger as it should be.

Forget what I wrote, it seems not to be true. The chart with the most popular locos confused me because it doesn't start at zero.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  12. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

NOPE it seems ............

13. Sgtpanda

Sgtpanda New Member

14. Bane1349

Bane1349 New Member

Dioramic collectible simulator, now with Mastery :) From this aspect I have to admit to the DTG that this update absolutely considerably improved the replay value of the game.

15. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

im yet to see any 'mastery' appear in my game? Am i missing something?

• Like Like x 1
  16. thearkerportian

Nope, doesn't work for me whatsoever either. Nothing ever got tracked, at least not on the in-game screen.

17. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I've completed some of the challenges but it's not appearing on either this website or in the game.

18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Are you logged into DTL?

19. Factor41

There are some routes/services which consistently seem to track, others which consistently don't. If you're getting nothing, try following the steps in this post and you should at least be able to get the 166, 101, 146.2 and a few others tracking and make some progress.

20. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just a quick question, has anybody had progress on mastery with progress on the class 45 or the 101 being recorded? Have completed tier one on two routes and progressing well on the third, but no matter what I do the class 45 and the 101 so no progress.

21. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Is this the answer to your question?
    Untitled.png

Edit: I just realized I have a different nick on dovetail live, but it's a screenshot from my account. Works as intended.

22. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I would like to know why it works for some but not others. Even when it does work it tracks different things for different people. The HST tracks for me no problem but not the 166. The 166 does show in stats but not in mastery towards the unlockables. Must work similar to PS4 trophies which are also hit and miss even though the requirements have been met

23. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

For a long while I didn't register any progress for them, then one day it registered something for the 101, then it stopped registering again.

I've pretty much given up with all of the levelling and achievement mechanics, as they seem to work inconsistently or not at all. I'm just glad they didn't tie anything of value into the system like unlockable repaints, rolling stock or scenarios. That would have been a disaster.

• Like Like x 3
  24. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information all, finished the other 3 tier 1 routes. It is weird that it seems hit or miss. No problems with the other 3, but on Trans Penne, just the locomotive progress doesn’t register for me. Not much of a bother for me personally, having a blast revisiting these routes so for me, all is good.

25. thearkerportian

I never really understood what the levelling thing is all about, be it in TS20xx, or TSW. Now if they had done it a bit like in Euro Truck Sim, where it sort of simulates a (truck) driver's carreer, that would have been something. But then again, how well does that really translate to trains. They are more like airplanes in that regards. Type ratings, route knowledge, that sort of thing.

26. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

When I did the playtesting thing for them last year this is something I actually brought up and the only way I can see something along the lines of "levelling" working in a simulator would be along the lines of Gran Turismo licenses where it takes you from almost no knowledge of how the thing works up to advanced level
    In the case of TSW you could start off with simple things like performing a stop from speed with few changes in braking; performing a cold start routine, in sequence and with few pauses between; undertaking a full run with minimal HUD, with braking, stopping points etc all monitored and rated
    The idea would be to build you from an academy stage to a "no HUD, as it would be in real life" type system

It's probably quite complex to do though so I don't actually expect them to implement anything like it

• Like Like x 3
  27. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I'd quite like this - not that I'd ever get to the top levels. :D

28. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

What happened to the simple times when we would complete monthly challenges for a wallpaper! Jokes aside the mastery system was exactly what I was hoping for, challenges tied to a certain route that can unlock extra content for that route. If it worked consistently I think everyone would be happy with what they implemented.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Digital Draftsman

At some point someone at DTG decided to add a new levelling and achievement system instead of fixing the existing one first. I can't understand the logic behind that decision. When the existing levelling and achievement systems doesn't track and award correctly how is adding another system which uses the same method of tracking going to work? Obviously it's not going to work until the underlying issues are addressed.

All DTG have done is frustrate a lot of players and made themselves look bad, in return for little gain. Ultimately that was the predictable outcome of such an endeavour, so I'm still baffled that someone decided to implement the new system instead of fixing the existing one.

• Like Like x 2
  30. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I know they had issues with trophies tracking but they fixed it when the TSW2020 update was released and to my knowledge it has been fixed. What leveling and achievement system needed to be fixed? Thank you!

31. Factor41

I think that if it worked consistently, it would absolutely be a worthwhile addition. And if the trophies worked consistently, they'd also be a good incentive for people to keep playing and racking up the miles across a range of routes. It's a real shame that both are flaky at best and Mastery actually disincentivises playing certain routes because we now don't want to risk pushing our level up too far on routes we'll have to repeat tasks on if it ever gets fixed.

Is there any timeline to when we can hope to see this working correctly? I get that there are two teams involved with the game team and DTLive team both being involved, but clearly something is fundamentally wrong with how TSW counts or tracks our actions and since we have little to no detail on what the figures are for most of the counters, we're as blind to how we're progressing as we are to how or why things aren't working. A little communication about this would be appreciated!

The counting extends beyond Mastery to things which should be quite simple fixes. One example is when you buy the Class 52 DLC and the number of Scenarios on the WSR page increases to 9, but when you've completed them all, it still shows 6/9. Same story with the 182 on Rapid Transit - all complete and showing 5/8.

I'm still owed quite a few trophies. Both their tracking of PSN trophies and the Mastery feature still need fixing. The MSB: All In Order trophy is just one example - if I go into the MSB page, it says Scenarios 5/5. A mechanism as simple as "When that gets to 5/5, award trophy" is still not in place.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Digital Draftsman

As Factor41 says above, the Steam and console achievements; There are several which still can't be unlocked because the system has bugs in how it tracks what's been completed by the player, so it's impossible to get those achievements, despite it being shown in TSW that all the requirements have been fulfilled. For example 'Full Circle' for the Class 31, I've completed the scenario required to unlock it both through the Journey menu and Scenario menu, yet it still won't unlock.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Mastery is good, now only needs to be added for all routes.
    Some management system that activate relevant routes which player owns would by great.
    I have only MSB from now supported routes.
    Gaining of levels on Route/Loco should be changed to collecting amounth of AP, it's neutral score which don't depend on previous gameplay.
    Why mileage from Scenarios are not counted to Most Popular Loco Graph?
    I have Total Mileage 1208 and sum of miles from graph equals only 814.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  34. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Hi Factor41,

Thanks for your message. I understand your frustrations with regards to Mastery and apologise for the inconveniences caused. Unfortunately, due to proximity of the Christmas period, we will be pausing any work on this until early January, however our Dovetail Live team is and will be working closely with the dev team to establish what exactly may be causing the issues with Mastery stats. We are closely following the situation, I will keep you updated when I get new information.

Dmitri

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  35. George1862

George1862 Active Member

I've logged in on my ps4 and done the challenges but it said I have done none what have I done wrong

36. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

What was the point of reviving this thread(Wasn't me it was the guy above of me)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You won’t have done anything wrong, the problems with Mastery not tracking people’s progress have been there since it was introduced and still continue today. It’s a bit flaky to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Factor41

Logging in to Dovetail Live was your first mistake. I'd suggest the following process:
    • Log out of DTL
    • Click No when it asks whether you want to log in next time
    • Pretend Mastery was never a thing
    • Drive some trains

Indeed. Wise to check the date of the last post. If a thread has come to a stop, there's probably either a solution in there somewhere, or everyone else has already given up on it ever being solved (and so should you).

• Like Like x 2
  39. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i Logging in to Dovetail Live pc not work tsw2020 game