Please Add Support For Dynamic Weather

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 29, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As the title suggests, it would be great if we could have dynamic weather featured in TSW. This, in my opinion, would make a huge difference whilst driving, and make it a lot more interesting and realistic.

I’d love to start off a service not really know what weather I’ll be experiencing down the line. In the most extreme cases, from a clear summers’ day to a furious thunderstorm or from nothing to a crazy snowstorm.

Currently we always drive in the ‘same’ weather for the entire journey, or multiple journeys if we continue the session. The only way we can change the weather is by going back to the main menu and changing it ourselves, which is a bit of an immersion breaker.

There are two ways the game could do this;
    1.) The game will randomly assign the time of year and weather which changes dynamically
    2.) The game reads real world data from various sources for the appropriate location(s)

A bit of an Easter egg for all you that don’t know but TSW supports lightning and thunder sounds, and it looks and sounds great, however it is disabled. I assume it is disabled because it looks like it manually needs to be configured as to where and how frequent it shows up. Which naturally only DTG can configure.

The way I was able to see it was via Unreal Engine Unlocker and enter in the applicable code for it manually. This, however, only produces a single lightning bolt per command. So it’s all manually controlled at the moment for experimental/‘testing’ purposes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 44
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The fact it's not in the game already is especially baffling considering how well the weather in the game reacts to temperature. For example, if you set autumn run with rain in the evening, as time goes on and temperature drops, the rain starts turning into snow automatically. A really cool feature left mostly unused because of no dynamic weather.

• Like Like x 7
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

I totally agree, I’ve been banging on about this for ages. Whilst they haven’t nailed it down yet, when you look at what Asobo are doing with real world dynamic weather in FS2020 you can clearly see the difference it makes.

Now, clearly a Train Sim doesn’t need anything like that level of detail and fidelity, but it really does need something. It’s one of the great challenges DTG face with the game IMHO. Literally everything is SO scripted, from the signals to the pathing, the AI to the weather, that adding some dynamic elements to proceedings would make a huge difference to the sim.

Of the above options, surely adding dynamic weather would prove easiest to do. Given the addition of variable traction, it would add another element to the game that would really increase immersion.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

OMSI 2 has this option and it's really cool

• Like Like x 1
  5. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather would be far better than presets on a slider.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Will no one think of the fps?
    As long as they can do it without adding to the demands of the program.
    Poor console players have their layers already restricted.

7. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I don't think that generating different weather over one one service session would affect FPS dramatically. Then there can be a checkbox where you can disable dynamic weather if you don't want to use this feature. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 10
  8. hightower

hightower Guest

Well, Asobo & Microsoft are releasing MSFS2020 to the new XBOX.

I say this as an original PS4 owner...Last Gen consoles were great for their time but their time has been and gone. Technology has long since moved on and the rest of the gaming world shouldn’t be held back because of the technology of yesterday. Put another way, the technological lowest common denominator should not be what determines whether or not a developer is able to add features, better graphics and sound into a modern simulation game.

MSFS2020 is supposedly going to drive literally billions in hardware upgrades and peripheral sales. I can attest to the fact that you cannot buy a control yoke or throttle quadrant anywhere in the world as they’re completely sold out and have been for months. Everywhere. People are upgrading because they want to play that sim. I don’t believe planes and trains are that far apart in terms of target audience, so in my opinion DTG need to be a bit more ambitious with TSW and aim to capture some of those players. Deliberately restricting the game to cater for 7 year old and increasingly obsolete consoles is not the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  9. londonmidland

If something like dynamic weather can affect FPS so significantly, then DTG really have optimisation issues with their game. Although this isn’t totally surprising given some of their past tactics...

Endless games have had features such as dynamic weather as well as many other things for years now. I feel like DTG/TSW is always at the back of the queue when it comes to adding features.

• Like Like x 4
  10. londonmidland

I shall post a screenshot of what lightning looks like on here when I get the time to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

DLSS would help with performance. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

It isn't DTG fault if consoles perform so bad ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

You’re right, but it is DTG’s deliberate decision to artificially hinder the game by keeping it playable on old technology.

They’ve clearly said they have no intention of developing the game for the new consoles, because they don’t want to leave owners of the older consoles behind.

That in itself is bad enough, but I’ve zero doubt that the PC version is being held back as a consequence. It absolutely has to be. Aside from the layers, what is different between the PC & PS4 versions? The differences are miniscule.

Now bare in mind that PC tech is at least another generation on from the ‘new’ consoles. There is no way that Ultra on the PC is anything like as ‘Ultra’ as it could be. It’s crazy that we had the move to TSW2 and nothing was done on the graphical front. Draw distance, shadows, lighting, weather effects (rain etc) and windscreen effects are all as bad as they were 4 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

something like this?

15. londonmidland

Correct. Although I don’t know how the user got the lightning to work without manually typing in the command each time. I am obtaining this information as to how it was done.

16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I hope proper dynamic weather is added one day...either officially (preferred) or via a mod.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

trainsimcz ^ :)

18. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Well it's been 7 years. Games have advanced since then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

I think it’s fair to say ‘it needs work’. I can see why it’s not in the game yet...It looks like a Ghost Train ride at a Fairground.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I have never noticed how much I needed thunderstorms in Tsw2 up until now.

• Like Like x 1
  21. londonmidland

On the subject of lighting, clouds and weather, I believe DTG use this rather inferior looking weather pack compared to what else in on offer. The reviews aren’t that all inspiring it must be said...

This pack, however, looks a lot better.

Putting the two packs aside, the most disappointing thing is that DTG haven’t even configured all the layers. So clouds, for example, still look pretty poor as there are layers of cloud missing, which means there’s a clear distinction from the old clouds to the newer looking clouds on newer routes, as there’s nothing in between. There are other features which they haven’t enabled, too. So essentially we’re getting the bare minimum of the pack.

Finally, why is there still no improvements to night lighting? I assume this is another thing which hasn’t been configured properly. As trains glow at night from a non existent light source, for example. Still no fix for this?

• Like Like x 7
  22. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was checking what version of UE4 is used in TSW2 - according to https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-2-unreal-engine-update.23108/ it is 4.23a so the pack you like wouldn't work as it needs at least 4.24.

One of the issues they face is that not only are their skills in UE developing quickly but so is the engine itself. Making content over several years that is backwards and forwards compatible must be pretty difficult. You want to push on and take advantage of new capabilities but then it leaves the older content standing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. hightower

hightower Guest

The aspect of this I find a bit concerning is that there is zero mention of any core (and I use that term knowing there isn't really a 'core' as such) improvements or new features on the 'Roadmap'. All that is is a list of scenario service fixes and potential new DLC for all the sycophants to salivate over.

We are told to accept that unless something is on the roadmap then it is not being worked on. That means every bit of DLC that is listed there will be released with things as they are now, warts and all. Whilst I like the game and buy most of the DLC for it, I do wish people would be a bit more demanding of DTG with regards to this aspect of the game. DTG are not your underdog mates working for free who you're rooting for and therefore cut massive amounts of slack. They are a decent sized commercial software production company selling pretty expensive products.

The engine update is/was encouraging progress but I was more than a bit disappointed that as part of that process none of the long standing issues were touched. Not one. It really is about time that we saw some progress on aspects of the game other than just more and more DLC.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  24. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

That pack is phenomenally good. But... I think we know the reason why the layers aren't fully configured. It's those dreaded words: console parity. If PC got really nice 4k and 8k textured skies, with fluffy multi-layered clouds, and console didn't... well, I'm sure you can imagine the furor.

I do most of my gaming on an Xbox One X. But I built a PC, and upgraded it recently, so I could have a better experience in single player games that can take advantage of the nicer hardware. Games like Cyberpunk 2077.

• Like Like x 1
  25. hightower

hightower Guest

I agree, 100%. Not only is is ‘console parity’, it’s 7 year old, last generation, console parity.

• Like Like x 2
  26. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yes, bout time they had a PC-specific version of TSW2/3/4/5 etc so we PC enthusiasts can get the most out of what the latest tech has to offer instead of being held back by consoles, but maintaining dlc for consoles still, surely it's not beyond the whit of man or woman?

As for the vid of the lightning, it looked totally naff IMO, lighting up buildings but not the surrounding terrain and white flash photography lighting? Leave it off please DtG for now until a more real instance is developed! If at all?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  27. londonmidland

This is what the default TSW lightning bolt looks like:

20201130134828_1.jpg 20201130134742_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  28. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s cool to have it, but it looks pretty ropey to say the least. It looks like certain structures just flash white periodically. Hardly proper lightening.

• Like Like x 1
  29. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

To be honest for effect the white flashes would be enough, actually more than we have right now. I would not need to see the lightning bolt necessarily, though it would be neat of course.

30. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Maybe if it was far enough...?

• Like Like x 1
  31. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agreed, that bolt looks horrible.
    Would look better if we had entrance and exit holes on the fuselage of the Ice though ...

• Like Like x 1
  32. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The new weather effects in tsw2 is much improved and nicer but the fact that we still don't have dynamic weather for a game using the same engine for 4 years is quite baffling. They really do need to add dynamic weather in the game

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

I agree with a lot of what your saying hightower in this thread. I'm getting a Xbox Series X and it is more powerful then the ps5 although i'm just saying that as a cheeky xbox fanboy lol. Let's face it, this generation of consoles are dying off. By the end of 2021, start of 2022 the Xbox One and PS4 will be dead. DTG should start upgrading the game for the next gen consoles at the start of 2021. They can't continue to hold back the game because they want to make the game still work on a 7 year old dying generation of consoles. Technology has moved on from the current gen of consoles. This is even worse for pc players because it's causing them to be held back because of consoles which is not fair. I get why they are releasing new products but at the same time they really do need to add more features to the game and start upgrading the game for next gen consoles. Do they really want to fall behind tech wise on this game. i hope dynamic weather will come soon. To be honest, it should've been in the game when it came out

• Like Like x 1
  34. londonmidland

I think many of these features haven’t been added to the game because of underpowered consoles. DTG really need to get with the times and start developing for current gen tech and not 7 or so year old tech.

It’s no wonder things like layers crash on consoles because their technology is so outdated and weak compared to today’s standards.

Just think of how much better the game could run and look if it wasn’t for the limitations of the oldest, weakest performing consoles which is still supported. Time to bite the bullet for those on the baseline consoles, because TSW will never improve and fully develop, as well as reach its full potential, if we keep developing for these increasingly outdated and underpowered consoles.

Just look at shadow draw distance. It’s embarrassingly poor. Could DTG increase it? Yes. Will they? No. Why? Base consoles...

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s ‘complicated’ apparently :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

You basically summed up my opinion on the matter mate. DTG needs to upgrade the game for the next gen of consoles sometime next year so the game can reach its full potential. I mean it would make sense for them to do it

37. londonmidland

I remember that being said in the livestream and I was baffled as to what exactly is so complicated about changing a few values?!

Also, it seems almost everything “requires a UI artist” these days to do anything, apparently.

• Like Like x 6
  38. tallboy7648

Complicated, more like stupidity

39. tallboy7648

It's dtg being silly in my opinion. Whoever is making these decisions need to re-evaluate themselves

• Like Like x 1
  40. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

You can have your opinions, that is fine - but do we really need to degenerate to name calling — it really detracts from your positions and is a very poor debating technique.

• Like Like x 2
  41. tallboy7648

Hey its my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  42. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

That lightning bolt appears to be caused by an alien abduction. Maybe a future DLC? :o

686c44609bd65eebcdfa1d8d57af014b.jpg

I support the idea about dynamic weather, live weather or weather changeability over time within an active service. It adds more realism and variety to the driving experience.

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  43. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute. This discussion seems to be descending into another console bashing thread by people who don't own them. Consoles account for the vast majority of players of TSW so it's only right that they are catered for. Of course the current gen is seven years old and is dying but the fact is that a lot of people can't buy one at the moment due to a lack of supply. I'm all for moving forward and expect DTG to do this soon but to whine on about them being held back by old consoles is because most players still own the old consoles. That is a fact. On top of that is the price. As much as I'd like to I can't afford to spend £1000+ on a gaming PC and the new PS5 is out of stock everywhere. My PS4 cost me £150 6 years ago and still performs well.

Dynamic weather or improved graphics is not being held back by 'last gen' consoles. Grand Theft Auto 5 had dynamic weather 7 years ago and ran fine on them. Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the most stunningly made and immersive games I've ever seen and guess what ... it plays on a PS4 standard perfectly. If TSW has issues then the devs at DTG are to blame for not being able to squeeze more power out of the PS4/Xbox, nothing else, because its been shown what can be done with them. Maybe they don't have the budget to spend hours making the game more efficient across the board but that is their problem not consoles.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  44. tallboy7648

I like the image lol. Imagine a alien abduction dlc

• Like Like x 1
  45. hightower

hightower Guest

Don’t know about anyone else, but I took the word meaning of the word ‘complicated’ to have nothing to do with their ability to actually change it, and everything to do with keeping the game playable across all platforms....

• Like Like x 1
  46. tallboy7648

I play on consoles too. I play mostly on console.

47. londonmidland

Apologies, I may have got carried away there.

It just seems DTG are incredibly slow at adding in features, some of which really should’ve been there from the start. I suspect this is down to time as well as having a minimum workforce.

• Like Like x 2
  48. tallboy7648

Isn't there like 100 people who work for dtg. If so that's not a lot of people to work on a massive train sim such as tsw2. No wonder the game has some issues. I hope more third parties get involved in the game

49. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information - now I know better on how to evaluate your opinions.

50. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I hardly feel that it is descending into "another" console-bashing thread. Or by people who don't own them--I've owned a PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, 360 Elite, Xbox One (back when it was still bundled with Kinect), One S, and currently a One X. I plan on getting a Series X in a year or so when the kinks have been worked out and new games start to take advantage of the extra horsepower. I play Battlefield 5 and CoD: Modern Warfare (2019) on console--I don't get upset that PC gamers can have Ray Tracing and I couldn't. I didn't play Skyrim on Xbox 360 and complain because PC gamers could run mods to fundamentally change the core gameplay. It's a limitation of the closed ecosystems that Microsoft and Sony have. The benefit is that they provide a consistent experience for users, as there's little variance in power and quality of parts.

Whether or not consoles account for the vast majority of players of TSW, that doesn't mean that the envelope shouldn't be pushed for PC players. And with consoles becoming more like PC architecture, advances for PC now should hopefully mean that a lot of the more difficult work is done for DTG to bring those features to the more powerful consoles in the future.

• Like Like x 4